Futurama

JackFetch

Good news everybody! An inside source has revealed exclusively to Collider that “Futurama” has been given a 13 episode order by Comedy Central. Though still technically a rumor at this point, word is that “Futurama” production offices have already opened and that casting is about to move forward.

http://www.collider.com/2009/06/07/exclusi...o-the-futurama/

I've actually made peace with the fact that the show is gone, and think the movies were a good way to go out.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news everyone. From io9:

Confirming yesterday's rumor, Entertainment Weekly's Ausiello Files confirms that Comedy Central is reviving Futurama — and not just for 13 episodes, but for 26. In a jar somewhere, the disembodied head of Al Gore is smiling.

Citing the precedent of Family Guy, reanimated after cancellation due to its popularity in reruns and DVD sales, 20th Century Fox television told EW it was responding to a similar hunger for Matt Groening and David X. Cohen's futuristic spoof. "Futurama was another series that fans simply demanded we bring back," said 20th Century Fox TV Chairmen Gary Newman and Dana Walden in a press release, "and we couldn't have been happier when Matt and David agreed that there were many more stories yet to tell." Groening chimed in with a statement, saying, ""We're thrilled Futurama is coming back. We now have only 25,766 episodes to make before we catch up with Bender and Fry in the year 3000." The new Futurama episodes will air in 2010, so that gives Groening and Cohen 990 years to go.

The only way this could be more awesome is if the Arrested Development movie was officially in production as opposed to it's current development hell.

Someone made a valid point, that if the Simpsons never exisited Futurama would still be on the air.

Though, if the simpsons never exsisted their would be no futurama.

Benders big score proved their was still life in the series, then the other movies came out, and proved the fans wrong.

Point 1: Bull. Their cancellation had NOTHING to do with The Simpsons being on the air.

Point 2: Yes and no. The Simpsons did bring David X. Cohen and Matt Groening together, but Groening (if memory serves me, and it usually does) had the idea long before he started sharing it with Cohen.

Point 3: Beast with a Billion Backs was also pretty alright. I think the third picture was horrible.

And it's not that the half-hour format results in better scripts, it's that (1) THAT'S HOW THESE PEOPLE WRITE, and (2) these movies were DESIGNED to be broken into half-hour episodes.

I, for one, am VERY excited by this news--excited enough to pay for cable to have regular (read:legal) access to it.

What I meant was that the network expected Futurama to be as big a hit as the Simpsons right from the get go.

What I meant by point two was that would Groening have been given the oppurtunity without the Simpsons to create the show for Fox?

Beast was alright, but Benders big score was so good and so well written, I set my hopes too high and got an average movie, it's just the third and fourth, which were noticeable episodes which could be put together as a film, where really blah.

Their may be a chance for the show to be good again, but these movies got steadily worse, that is my one fear about the episodes, they may tarnish how great the show originally was.

• 1 month later...

This is me hiding from Niki's oncoming rage: hide.gif

***RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE***

Ahem.

Fox boycott, here I come.

This is bullshit. To add Maurice Lamarche and Tress MacNeil to the list is mind-boggling. They are equivalent character actors in the voice acting world, they play no MAIN characters. They would not have bullshit demands...and really, I don't believe the rest of the cast would, either. I think Fox is dicking us all around.

I knew I smelled bullshit.

From the article:

The stars had all expressed interest in returning. But with the budget for "Futurama" dramatically slashed, the salary offers came in well below what the thesps [sic] were asking.

It's believed that the "Futurama" cast members were asking for around $75,000 per episode; it was not clear what 20th was offering. Calls to the voice stars' reps were not immediately returned.

$75 K for Billy West? That's a fucking steal. They'd be making money hand over fist on this show. Fuck you, Fox.

BILLY FUCKING WEST AND JOHN FUCKING DIMAGGIO ARE OFF OF FUCKING FUTURAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????

WHAT!?

John DiMaggio and Billy West play several great voices on the show, and are two of along with Phil LaMarr are the best voices actors today.

Fuck Fox.

Also they fucked over the writers aswell, by the looks of things.

Now that I'm slightly more rational, I'm waaaaaaay more pissed. Billy West and John DiMaggio (as well as LaMarche and McNeill) are some of the best voice actors in the world, as a matter of fact, with the exception of Tom Kenny, I can't think of anyone that's as versatile and popular. Peggy Bundy is replaceable, admittedly. Her work on Leela was by far the weakest voice work on the show, but still. Bullshit.

EDIT: And what about poor Dave Herman? King of the Hill and Drinky Crow both just were cancelled! He'll be starving in the streets!