The all purpose new bat-book thread.

SuaveStar

Lee Bermejo teases new Batman OGN

Batman.Noel.low.jpg

I can't believe I haven't posted this considering it's been out there circulating for a while. Originally done as a piece for the Splashpage sketchbook, this wound up being a very inspirational piece for the graphic novel I'm working on in terms of tone. I think I turned it in along with the script as part of the overall pitch. As such, it's a pretty close representation of what the book looks like. I look at this sucker as a very 'excited' piece... completely lacking in the editing phase but full of the pure joy of putting pencil to paper. As much as I enjoy being critical, I hope to never get so analytical with the work that I lose sight of what made drawing fun for me in the first place: the feeling of lead smearing grey on white and watching something emerge from nothing.

Getting back to the book, I've started to see some pretty great color pages trickle in by the uber-talented Barbara Ciardo. It's like being a kid on Christmas..... ahem, ahem.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dick Grayson’s first challenge as Batman – is Superman?

The fist moments of Tim and Dick really speak to their commitment to the mission and how Batman really is their commander. I always enjoy those little moments that portray their respect and relationships with one another.

Anyway, I like the preview pages and I've enjoyed Winick's writing so this is a green light for me.

• 2 weeks later...
This January, fans will get a Batman tale like no other, by two of the most masterful creators to ever take on the Dark Knight.

BATMAN: EUROPA, a four-issue mini-series written to gritty perfection by FIRST WAVE’s Brian Azzarello and Matteo Casali with an all-star cast of artists, including Giuseppe Camuncoli (who is handling layouts for the entire series!), Diego Latorre and Jock. With a first issue painted over Cammo’s layouts by none other than superstar artist and DC Comics Co-Publisher Jim Lee, who as you know, is no stranger to Batman. And if it involves Jim, you can guarantee it’s a major Batman tale.

In the pages of BATMAN: EUROPA, the impossible has happened – the Batman is on the brink of defeat, at the hands of a virus with no cure. Surely there’s someone that can help him? Well, there is – the Joker. Who infected Batman with the virus? What does the Joker have to do to save him? And how can it all happen before the Dark Knight collapses? Together, the unlikely teammates and arch-foes travel through Europe cobbling together clues while the clock ticks down.

The Source, with a Jim Lee cover.

Camuncoli is fucking terrible, he drew that Death of Dracula one-shot that we did on First Issue Special, and I felt like my eyes had been raped.

EDIT: I apologize. Camuncoli only did the cover, which was fine. Looking at some of his art, he's not bad, at all. Crisis averted.

That story only involves Red Robin and The Outsiders. The Batman and Robin and Batgirl ones have nothing to do with it.

I did like that the Batgirl one explained why Cassandra quit being Batgirl.

The story had already started in the Red Robin one, so it had to have been in either the Batman and Robin one, as Red Robin went right into Outsiders.

I just finished Knight & Squire #1 and have to say, I want an ongoing Knight & Squire comic. This comic was so much weird and zany fun, I hope they can keep it up. Judging by the solicitations, they just might.

The last three pages of Batman and Robin 15 may be among my favorites ever. They are the definition of epic.

Yes, and can I add, second only to Quitley, this is the best story in B&R. Irving's art was great, and it was a great issue, with a great "It's on" ending.

I'm still dropping the book after Morrison leaves, but god damn, what an issue.

Superman/Batman was worth it to see Supergirl dressed as a Pink Bunny and Damian dressed as Matches Malone at a Halloween Party.

Also this

Supergirl:You can't just use me like some tool from your utility belt...

Damien: Why not? My father did it to Superman all the time. Now scan, alien.

Superman/Batman was worth it to see Supergirl dressed as a Pink Bunny and Damian dressed as Matches Malone at a Halloween Party.

Also this

Supergirl:You can't just use me like some tool from your utility belt...

Damien: Why not? My father did it to Superman all the time. Now scan, alien.

I fucking love Damian Wayne.

• 2 weeks later...

First thing I see on the Associated Press wire this morning:

Major spoilers below!

A big admission ahead of bigger mission for Batman

Eds: 'Batman Incorporated' is correct. This story is part of AP's general news and entertainment services.

By MATT MOORE

Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Batman's alter ego, Bruce Wayne, is going public about his role behind the Dark Knight.

After a lifetime spent wearing the cowl — and a scowl that's made him the scourge of Gotham's madmen — the fictional billionaire is taking full responsibility for keeping the caped crusader financed to fight crime.

The admission is unveiled Wednesday in the final pages of "Batman and Robin" No. 16 that marks the last issue in a run by Scottish writer Grant Morrison.

The acknowledgment in the final pages comes as Wayne holds a news conference where he asks those gathered: "Some of you may have wondered ... how does a man like Batman afford to constantly update his crime-fighting technology? Where does his money come from?

"Well, the answer is me."

The confession, Morrison said, is part of a detailed effort that puts into motion a plan for Batman Incorporated, a global network of Batmen from China to Argentina to fight crime worldwide.

Morrison told The Associated Press that the decision was made to protect Wayne's secret identity by deflecting attention away from speculation it was he who wore the cape.

"We've sidetracked the media that he has actually been financing Batman all these years," Morrison explained of the long arc he's written that has seen the Dark Knight plunge through time and space and have his mantle taken up by former Robin Dick Grayson. "He is the man behind the Batman, but he is not Batman."

In doing so, Wayne is free to take his crime fighting international by building what Morrison calls a "global, international army of Batmen. Batman in China, Batman in Japan, Batman in Russia. Expanding the Batman brand to areas where he really hasn't been before."

Those tales will unfold in full in the first issue of "Batman Incorporated," due out Nov. 17.

I told my buddy - a big superhero fan who keeps up with the stories but just doesn't read comics - and he says, "Did Grant Morrison hate Batman as a child and he just wants to ruin him forever?"

I won't go that far - you guys know I hate Morrison - but I just don't see how this is a good idea.