The all purpose new bat-book thread.

SuaveStar

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not read any June Batman comics, but I am going to get a lot in a few days, here is my list:

1. Batman Streets of Gotham #1

2. Red Robin #1

3. Batman and Robin #1

4. Gotham City Sirens #1

5. Batman #687

6. Batman #686

7. Detective Comics #853

(BTW, I did not get some of these earlier because I need books for a trip)

Also, in my list is Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? (Batman #686 and Detective Comics #853)

Anything else I should add?

Batman and Son, which is the trade of Morrisons first arc and introduces Damian.

I didn't really care about the Hush part of that storyline, but I thought what they were setting up for the Joker was really interesting.

It was and it was a nice callback to the killing joke, but I got the trade, and I'm pretty sure they never fully answered that story.

• 2 weeks later...

From The Source Blog:

Monday, July 6th, 2009

By Alex Segura

It’s become something of a tradition here at The Source to start the week with some news, and we’ve got a nice bit here, with more to come later this week.

You all saw the preview pages from Judd Winick and Mark Bagley’s first BATMAN issue, right? To say it’s essential reading is an understatement. Heck, for us to say anything at all might be pushing it. So, we gave Judd a quick ring and asked him for the 101 on why this arc is so integral to the new Dark Knight. Judd?:

“This is Dick Grayson’s first chapter as Batman. Despite all his training, despite growing up at Bruce Wayne’s side, it’s a hard transition. He’s going to make mistakes, and he’s going to pay for them. But it all begins here.”

And the fun doesn’t stop there. Starting in October, after the conclusion of his “Long Shadow” arc, Judd Winick and Mark Bagley will pass the BATMAN baton to writer/artist Tony Daniel, who’ll be pulling double-duty on the title for six issues. You may recall Daniel did a pretty bang-up job on a little thing called BATTLE FOR THE COWL, which set the stage for all the Batman excitement going on now. Because we’re all about consistency here at The Source, we got Tony chatting about his plans for a certain Caped Crusader:

“It’s a very exciting time right now. I’ve done my research, I’ve chosen my players, and I’ve outlined six months worth of story and I’m in the scripting phase of my first issue. We’ll be seeing the return of some once-familiar faces, faces, I can say, who are not so friendly to Gotham. I’ll be introducing a new character to the city of Gotham. There are also a few surprises in store that I hope will get people excited. “

Wow, they took Winnick off already. That was fast, especially for hyping it up quite a bit.

So, I got my bat books for June.

I already said my thoughts on Batman and Batman and Robin, in the comic thread, and now I've read Streets of Gotham, gotham City Sirens and Detective comics.

Thoughts:

Detective was good and was a quick read and looked gorgeous. I will be getting the trade of this, as it is interesting. I loved how she hides her identity.

The question had mediocre art and was meh.

Streets of Gotham, started off very dull and then got better, the art got better aswell and the plot from Firefly was really good, so I enjoyed this and the scene between Damien and Hush, though they are pushing

Hush's escape

way too soon, I would've preffered a slower build, but nevermind. The manhunter co-feature really made good use of it's pages and the art was Ok, really enjoyed it.

Streets of Gotham was good.

Gotham City Sirens from the preview I read, the art was dull and the story looked like crap, I was wrong.

This story was so fucking funny and advanced the characters and I loved the art, this was good, I liked the mention of the Mad hatter being a paedophile.

I loved the bit where they mentioned what Harley did with her money from Heart of Hush

Catwoman: Please say you didn't send it to a Nigerian prince....

Harley: You got his e-mail too!?

I actually laughed when I read that.

I loved the end and really felt it would set up the big Dini storyline coming up and was a fun read.

Just finished Red Robin, and it felt like a set up for later things, and I disagree with drqshadow, this is a flip through issue to me.

• 1 month later...

Just had a little question, so I'll post it on this thread. There are a bunch of Hush books, and I always get them mixed up. I'm also stupid, that is kind of why I am asking this.

picture9u.jpg

(Picture A.)

What Is this differences between this ^^^

and

this vvv ?

picture8h.jpg

(Picture B.)

and

this vvv ?

picture10noj.jpg

(Picture C.)

Here are the links:

Picture A: http://dccomics.com/dcu/graphic_novels/?gn=12099

Picture B: http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Hush-Jeph-Loeb/dp/1401223176/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1250141210&sr=8-2

Picture C: http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Complete-Hush-Jeph-Loeb/dp/184856340X/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1250141210&sr=8-7

Also, which one is the best and cheapest if I want to get the main Hush story arc (BATMAN #608-#619)?

• 3 weeks later...

From Bleeding Cool:

It took a long and winding path to get to this story. But here we go.

The Search For Bruce Wayne. The Return of Batman. Two series by Grant Morrison kicking off from Summer 2010. After his apparent death (twice) and revelation that Bruce Wayne is stuck somewhen in the past (possibly crossing the spirit path of Captain America, I dunno) word is that DC will be bringing their world’s greatest detective in rubber back in a series of series, the details of which are completely unknown (to me, I mean) save for their working titles (which may be old) and that it’s all part of the Big Grant Morrison Batplan for 2010. For which, one day, I wish DC publish big hyperlinked blueprints. That would be nice.

Oh come on, how long did you think he’d be dead for anyway? And odds are there will be a number of clever surreal twists to this return to delight the senses. Enjoy…

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2009/08/28/bringing-back-batman-from-the-dead-again-again-again/

I'm willing to bet that we start down the route to the return of Batman after Blackest Night is over when everyone finds out that that isn't Bruce's skull. Personally, I'm looking forward to when they show up to get Bruce from wherever he is and the response is, "What took you so long? I finished leaving that last clue an hour ago."