The all purpose new bat-book thread.

SuaveStar

The art is the best thing about Red Robin, shame that usually Yost's writing is crap. They seem to make Red Robin's artist a builder like Patrick Gleason on GLC, a book he can fine tune his art with, and move on to better things. Also, Yost is leaving after this arc and Fabien Nicena is coming to the book from issue 13.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Preview of Guillem March's first Batman issue.

I'll open with, I don't like that cover. It doesn't do anything for me. Even if it is the Riddler.

Well, I dropped Batman a while back because Tony Daniel's Black Mask story just plain bored the hell out of me. Having said that, the preview does intrigue me. I was already planning on stepping back in for issue #700, but I may check this out tomorrow.

Last week, artist J.H. Williams III was nominated for two Eisners best penciler/inker and cover artist for his much-acclaimed run on Batwoman in DETECTIVE COMICS. His art was praised and recognized not only by the Eisners but across the mainstream and comic trade press for its fluid and versatile look in presenting Kate Kane and helping define her as a lasting character. J.H.s distinctive style and creative page layouts were a key part of the books success.

Dont expect that to change. In fact, J.H.s role is about to be expanded. In the coming months, Batwoman will settle into more permanent digs of her own namely, an ongoing series both written and drawn by Williams. Hell be getting a co-writer in W. Haden Blackman, a writer known for his work in the Star Wars universe, including the Star Wars: Galaxies MMO and The Force Unleashed video game. Additionally, MADAME XANADU artist Amy Reeder will be stepping in to handle the art for the second arc in the series. More on that later.

After her debut in the pages of 52, Batwoman became one of the most widely-discussed heroes of the modern era, due to her new role in the Batman family of characters and because of her role as one of the first openly-gay characters in the DC Universe. Shes both a hero and an icon.

Now, coming out of a monumental run in the pages of DCs flagship title, shes finally taking over her very own ongoing series. What can readers expect? Lets all remember that this isnt J.H.s first foray on the writing side, having co-plotted a majority of the much-loved CHASE series in the 90s. But lets check in with Mr Williams and Mr. Blackman, shall we?

Our goal is to tell a riveting action adventure tale with some heart and drama to it, Williams said. We want the reader to learn even more about who Kate Kane is as Batwoman showing why she is an important addition to the Bat Family of heroes beyond what has already been addressed. We are also wanting to really make sure we start building additions to her own rogues gallery. Just how will Kate deal with the fallout between her and her father, Jacob? Will Kate be able to find love other than Renee Montoya, a.k.a. The Question? And as far as flavor there will be a sprinkle of creepy beings, myth and legends, government agency intrigue, and a surprise return of a fan-favorite character.

This is going to be an amazing opportunity for Haden and I. To say were excited about this prospect is a bit of an understatement. In addition to this, having the chance to work with Amy will be a real pleasure, her work is fantastic, and Ive thought so ever since first encountering it sometime ago.

Im very excited to be working on BATWOMAN, Blackman said. I have a real affinity for the character. Jim [Williams III] and Greg [Rucka] have done an amazing job of establishing her as a premiere character in the DC Universe and Im looking forward to using that as a launching pad to tell all-new stories with her. The opportunity to work with Jim is something weve been talking about for a long time and for me its really the best job in comics getting the chance to work with someone who is truly one of the top talents in the industry.

The thing that really attracts me to Batwoman as a character is her combination of a really strong, personal story and a dark, superheroic one. She has that perfect combination and Im looking forward to the chance to take some of the classic aspects of vigilante comics and reinterpret them through the lens of this character.

Excited yet?

As noted, not only will Williams be writing and drawing the first arc of the new ongoing, but hell be continuing on as writer for the next arc after that, paired with artist Amy Reeder, who comes to Gotham City after a stint as the artist on Vertigos MADAME XANADU. Reeders clear storytelling and realistic and fluid artwork makes her a perfect choice for the gig. What do you think, Amy?

To say Im excited is an huge understatement! J.H. Williams has very much inspired me with his ability to rethink the medium, and his work on Detective Comics has left me awestricken. When I heard Id get to be involved with the new Batwoman series, I felt overwhelmed but excited at the challenge of working alongside him on this newly-beloved character. So Im sure you can imagine how thrilled I was when it turned out he would write the series as well. This leaves me with no choice but to step up my abilities beyond any natural progression. And I cant wait.

Thanks, Amy! And last, but certainly not least, we checked in with DC Comics Co-Publisher Dan DiDio for his thoughts on the character finally landing her own ongoing.

Were all extremely proud of what Batwoman stands for both as a compelling character and as an icon representative of the diversity we strive for in the DC Universe, DiDio said. Were grateful to Greg Rucka for the excellent work he put into introducing the character. J.H. did a masterful job on the art side during her stint in DETECTIVE COMICS, so it made this the perfect time to have him step into the dual role of writer and artist. Needless to say, were very excited to see what this new creative team has in store for the character.

DC Source

Well, I dropped Batman a while back because Tony Daniel's Black Mask story just plain bored the hell out of me. Having said that, the preview does intrigue me. I was already planning on stepping back in for issue #700, but I may check this out tomorrow.

Same. I found out that Daniel is staying on the book for a while, and will be jumping back off again after 700.

"We're having Williams launch a brand new ongoing for Batwoman! And then we're having a fill-in artist for the second arc!"

Yeah, basically that's what they are saying. This just reminds me so much of how Tony Daniel got the job on Batman: "Shit, Grant's leaving the book to do another one. It's alright, lets get someone good.....and cheap. Hey Tony you worked with Grant, your hired"

It didn't happen exactly like that, but Daniel had little professional experience before being given BFTC and then Batman, both of which were poorly written.

BATMAN #701

On sale JULY 14 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Written by GRANT MORRISON • Art and cover by TONY DANIEL

Grant Morrison and Tony Daniel re-team to tell the exciting 2-part, untold tale of Bruce Wayne and his adventures between BATMAN R.I.P. and FINAL CRISIS! What happened to Batman – and Dr. Hurt, for that matter – after the devastating events at the climax of R.I.P.? And what secrets within this story point toward THE RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE?

BATMAN: THE RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE #4

On sale JULY 21 • 4 of 6 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

Written by GRANT MORRISON

Art by CAMERON STEWART

Cover by ANDY KUBERT

1:25 variant cover by CAMERON STEWART

The most anticipated series of 2010 continues!

Grant Morrison’s can’t-miss Batman story rolls on as Bruce Wayne’s next stop on his amazing journey through time brings him to the Wild West – but will he escape alive? Artist Cameron Stewart (BATMAN AND ROBIN) joins Morrison to take The Dark Knight on a ride!

Retailers please note: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.

BATMAN AND ROBIN #14

On sale JULY 7 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Written by GRANT MORRISON

Art by FRAZER IRVING

Cover by FRANK QUITELY

1:25 variant cover by FRAZER IRVING

In “Batman Must Die!” part 2 of 3, one of our heroes lies near death! Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne enter the ultimate, blood-soaked battle against two foes who almost destroyed the original Batman. Are the new Dynamic Duo up to this final confrontation with absolute evil? If they can’t truly bond as a team, they’re dead!

Retailers please note: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.

BATMAN: ODYSSEY #1

On sale JULY 7 • 1 of 6 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

Written by NEAL ADAMS • Art and cover by NEAL ADAMS • 1:25 sketch variant cover by NEAL ADAMS

Legendary Batman artist and comics pioneer Neal Adams returns to Gotham City with the first issue of two 6-part miniseries!

In this electrifying new story, The Dark Knight faces a series of seemingly unrelated challenges as villains and allies old and new push him to his limits like never before. After Batman discovers a dark and mysterious matrix being superimposed over his life, what sort of life-changing voyage must he embark on to escape from this powerful and insidious force? Be here to find out as Adams writes and illustrates his next masterpiece Batman tale!

RED HOOD: LOST DAYS #2

On sale JULY 7 • 2 of 6 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Written by JUDD WINICK

Art by PABLO RAIMONDI

Cover by billy tucci

Learn the secrets of Jason Todd’s hidden past! Writer Judd Winick and artist Pablo Raimondi continue revealing how the former Boy Wonder went from child sidekick to murderous villain! Newly resurrected and loose in the world, Jason finds himself alone, angry and seeking revenge. But what will happen when his blood lust takes him back to the streets of Gotham City? You’ve only seen pieces of the story before now!

DETECTIVE COMICS #867

On sale JULY 28 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

Written by DAVID HINE

Art by SCOTT MCDANIEL and ANDY OWENS

Cover by PETER NGUYEN

The four-part epic “BATMAN: IMPOSTERS” begins with this thirty-page adventure!

A call to arms has gone out through Gotham City, and normal, everyday citizens are being drafted into a bizarre battle. Will they side with vigilante justice or join the cause of chaos and anarchy? Only The Dark Knight can rein in the terror created by the villain known only as The Imposter. But what is The Imposter’s true motivation for this gang war — and what’s hiding behind his rictus grin? Be here to find out!

BATMAN: THE WIDENING GYRE #6

Resolicit • On sale JULY 28 • 6 of 6 • 56 pg, FC, $4.99 US

Written by KEVIN SMITH

Art by WALT FLANAGAN & art thibert

Cover by BILL SIENKIEWICZ

1:25 Variant cover by GENE HA

The finale to Kevin Smith and Walt Flanagan’s Batman tale! Thanks to Silver St. Cloud, Bruce is trying to learn how to trust people. But Batman is an integral part of who he is, so how can he really trust anyone? Batman even has a run-in with Catwoman because of his relationship with Silver. And when he decides to put all of his trust into someone, will he be rewarded…or punished? Don’t miss this extra-sized finale to volume one of WIDENING GYRE!

Retailers please note: This issue is resolicited. All previous orders are cancelled. This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.

BATMAN BEYOND #2

On sale JULY 21 • 2 of 6 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Written by ADAM BEECHEN

Art by JOHN STANISCI

Cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN

A mysterious new threat targets the original Batman’s villains, and only Terry McGinnis – the Batman of the future – has a chance of finding and stopping him. But of a Catwoman stalks into the picture, Terry is torn between the lady she appears to be and the deadly tiger she might turn out to be!

RED ROBIN #14

Written by FABIAN NICIEZA

Art and cover by MARCUS TO & RAY MCCARTHY

Red Robin vs. Robin! When Damian discovers that he’s on Red Robin’s potential “hit list” of bad guys to apprehend, the new Robin goes about proving how wrong Tim was by trying to beat the crap out of him! Meanwhile, Tim’s plans begin to flourish, starting with a new role at the Wayne Foundation and a new love life.

GOTHAM CITY SIRENS #14

On sale JULY 28 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Written by PAUL DINI • Art and cover by GUILLEM MARCH

Just as the girls begin working as a team, a new threat destroys everything! Can they reunite in time – or will this be the end of the Sirens?

BATMAN CONFIDENTIAL #46

Written by KEVIN VANHOOK • Art and cover by TOM MANDRAKE

Surrounded by a cavalcade of corpses, and with the mad Professor Combs running free, Batman and the vampire Dimeter find themselves outmatched and outnumbered by the ravenous undead. This looks like a job for Superman!

AZRAEL #10

On sale JULY 21 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Written by DAVID HINE

Art by jeremy haun

Cover by guillem march

New writer David Hine (ARKHAM REBORN, DETECTIVE COMICS) makes his AZRAEL debut in part 1 of the 4-part “The Killer of Saints!” Members of religious cults are being murdered in grotesque reenactments of the martyrdom of Christian saints. Each victim holds part of a centuries-old secret that, once revealed, will alter the course of human history.

BATMAN: STREETS OF GOTHAM #14

On sale JULY 21 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

Written by PAUL DINI

Co-feature written by IVAN BRANDON

Art by DUSTIN NGUYEN & DEREK FRIDOLFS

Co-feature art by ramon bachs

Cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN

The anticipated sequel to HEART OF HUSH is here! Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen deliver an exciting continuation of the saga of Tommy Elliot and Bruce Wayne! Cracking under the strain of living as “Bruce Wayne,” Elliot plans his final, murderous revenge on Dick Grayson, Selina Kyle and other members of Wayne’s extended network of friends and allies. Will Dick and Damian be enough to thwart Tommy’s plans – or will the end of Hush require the return of Bruce Wayne?

And in the new Two-Face co-feature, writer Ivan Brandon picks up where the trial of Two-Face left off in the Manhunter co-feature! Despite his innocence, Two-Face is a man on the run, and discovers that even when he thinks he has nothing left to lose, he hasn’t quite hit rock bottom!

OUTSIDERS #31

RESOLICIT • On sale JULY 28 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Written by DAN DIDIO

Art and cover by PHILIP TAN & JONATHAN GLAPION

“The Great Divide” continues! Separated by two continents and personal differences, the two Outsiders teams are pushed to their limits. Black Lightning, Owl Man and newest member Freight Train take on the combined might of Chemomorpho while Geo-Force and his army invade a neighboring country – only to come face-to-face with that country’s defender, The Olympian!

This issue is resolicited. All previous orders are canceled.

BATGIRL #12

On sale JULY 14 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Written by BRYAN Q. MILLER

Art by LEE GARBETT & JONATHAN GLAPION

Cover by STANLEY “ARTGERM” LAU

It’s the end of Batgirl’s first year as a member of the Bat-family, and the stakes couldn’t be higher! Stephanie Brown must risk her life to break into the Calculator’s secret lair in an attempt to save Oracle and all of Gotham City from his techno-plague. And finally, the Calculator’s daughter accepts her true destiny!

Does anyone know any good Batman comic books with the Joker in it, besides The Killing Joke because I cant find that. oh and if anybody knows where I can find The Killing Joke please tell me.

The greatest Joker stories ever told, is supposed to be really good. It has stuff from his first appearance all the way up to a few years ago. Also, Dark Detective is an awesome Joker story.

Does anyone know any good Batman comic books with the Joker in it, besides The Killing Joke because I cant find that. oh and if anybody knows where I can find The Killing Joke please tell me.

The Man Who Laughs is the story of Batman's first encounter with the Joker. I loved the story. And of course, Azzarello and Bermejo's JOKER graphic novel is fantastic.

HOLY BALLZZZZZZ! Last page of BATMAN & ROBIN #12!!!!!!! I figured it would happen,I mean come on, it's comics, but it still gave me the shakes. I mean think about it! He was standing right next to them for quite a while on a few occasions. Plus, Clarke's version of him gives me chillzzzzz.

Besides Quitely's art, Clarke's is my favorite on this book so far.

Can't wait for the next issue!!!!!!!

I just finished Red Robin #12. All I can say is the book, and the pay off to Yost's run, were both a big waste of fucking time. All he did was make Tim into an unlikable emo, he every issue, just got more and more annoying to me. Fabien takes over the book next month, so yay for that.

Tim knows Bruce isn't dead, because he found a picture of pilgrim Bruce back in #1.

Batman and Robin #12 was good, but so much had to be tied up in this issue, that some of it felt forced. Still, I'm looking forward to:

Dr Hurt coming back to face Dick Grayson's Batman. Also, I like the Joker being Oberon and not Bruce, even if that would have made more sense.

I actually really like March's art, but Daniel's writing is pretty iffy to me.

It's one of those styles you either love or hate, and I'm on the hate pile right now. I'm not saying he can't do something to change my mind, but right now, he isn't.

I don't usually drop comics mid run, but Daniel writing Batman was the last straw for me, his art was always good, but his writing was so bad, it really made me ask why I was buying this book. I'm jumping back on for the Morrison issues 700-702, then back off again when Daniel goes back to writing the book.