The all purpose new bat-book thread.

SuaveStar

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea why I'm supposed to care about Dr Hurt. I literally have no idea what makes this guy a worthwhile villain.

Thirded.

But the last page of Batman and Robin #12 was dope. I guess maybe I should've guessed that, but it was a shock to me. Still...

I thought the actual depiction of the Joker was kinda shitty. I know it was in keeping with the overall look of the book, but I just don't like the unclean look of it.

I just read Batman Year 100 by Paul Pope. Anybody else read it? What did you think? Personally, I'd liked to see more of this Batman, get to know the characters of the universe. I want to know about this Batman.

I was hoping for an explanation on Batman's age. He's over 100 years old at the time of the story. I was waiting for a reveal but it was never delivered! Is that Dick Grayson that Batman is calling Robin or Tim Drake? So many open questions!

Still a great story though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, Batman #700.

Short version: greatest Morrison Batman comic ever.

Long version:

This was everything an anniversary issue should be. Not only did we get stories of the Silver Age inspired Bruce Wayne Batman of the past, the Dick Grayson Batman of the present, and the Damian Wayne Batman of the future, but we got glimpses of more future Batmen. Terry McGinis, Miller's DKR Batman, and even the Batman from DC One Million. It was a celebration of the past, present, and future of Batman.

The stories were everything that one expects from Morrison's Batman: continuity references, dark humor, and wild concepts. Each one perfectly captured the Batmen of each era and who they are. The issue as a whole is the history of Morrison's version of Batman. One example, Terry is trained by Morrison's future Batman Damian Wayne, with a great explanation for why he would take him under his wing. The various artists on each story turned in excellent work. Frank Quitely wasn't able to complete all the pages for his story and the rest were done by Scott Kollins. I'm not usually a Kollins fan, but I liked his art quite a bit here. Quitely and Andy Kubert were the highlights for me, so great to see them working with Morrison on Batman again.

In addition to the 30 page main story, there were pin-ups, a map of the Batcave, and a preview of Batman: Odyssey. I can see people feeling ripped off by this considering the $4.99 price tag and I can't disagree. It probably should have been $3.99, but the story was so great that I don't mind it this time around. It was everything I wanted from the 700th issue of Batman.

I loved it. A bit overpriced, but it's a one off purchase, so I could justify getting it.

Scott Kolins was a bit out of place for me here, when he replaced Quitleys story at a part, it felt off for me.

Damiens story was easily the best, and I want Andy Kubert and Morrison to do a Damien mini series. I loved how Damien is the one taking Terry McGinnis under his wing.

• 1 month later...