Random tech support thread

Dread

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

If I wanted to make and edit my own videos, what type of camera and software would you all suggest?

My understanding is that Final Cut Pro is well-respected, yet pricey at $300. I've also heard some good things about Toast. Are there other suggestions, and do any of you have experience with either of these programs?

As for cameras, I don't need anything fancy, but I would want it to be reliable and long-lasting.

Final Cut Pro is kind of on the expensive side, but if you think you're going to be doing a lot of video editing, you should probably think about it.

It's like Photoshop: no one who only would need it occasionally has any business shelling out that kind of money, but if you edit images on a regular basis it's actually pretty vital.

Lifehacker had a pretty good article looking at five of the most popular a few years back. A new contender might have emerged since then but yeah, it all comes down to what you're using it for and how much you figure you will.

http://lifehacker.com/5864841/five-best-video-editors

As for cameras, main advice is to find one that can record in 720p. You will also want to read up on lighting and audio equipment since those can be the key between something that looks professional and the guys who do reaction videos on YouTube.

• 1 year later...

So, looking for some PS3 tech help. I have a 120 gig model that I purchased used on Amazon about a year ago now (used very good condition). It reads DVDs just fine, but is having difficulty reading PS3 game discs (blu-ray). It's pretty much stopped playing entirely now, and I can feel part of the PS3 thrumming and heating up when it attempts to read it. Prior to this it just either would read after several initial read attempt/reject/reread cycles, or occasionally easily after not using the disc drive for a while.

Have tried:

-tilting it upward

-did a system file restore

Any suggestions, or is the disc drive fucked and needs to be replaced?

The laser is probably dead. There are places you can get that repaired but it's going to cost you. Since you got a refurbished, it's not under warranty so it'll cost a pretty penny. There are ways to repair it online but they're a little expensive.

Honest suggestion: Do you think you're going to get a PS4 or XBox 1 down the line? If yes, just wait for Black Friday and get one then. Otherwise, you can get a new PS3 for 200 bucks or so from Wal-Mart with a 500 GB hard drive that comes with The Last of Us.

• 1 month later...

Been trying to play DVDs on my laptop.  Every time WMP gives me a "Unable to turn on analog copy protection on the output display. Try installing an updated driver for your video card" message.  Video card is up to date.   Google has been less than helpful.  Every DVD I tried will play using VLC, but it looks like refried ass.

Solutions?

Edited by Professor

Which version of Windows? 7?

you will only see this error if you have a Windows 7 computer with 2 monitors (multiple monitors) that are either different or have different resolutions while in clone mode (same desktop on both displays).

It could be possible that one video monitor supports interlaced 1080i resolution whereas the other one does not. In this case, Windows Media Player will be unable to change the desktop resolution and hence enable content protection.

Edited by JackFetch

Upgraded the work laptop to Windows 10 because 8 was a fucking ugly nightmare of confusion. I love 10 for the most part except now my thumb drive doesn't work. Laptop reads it for about a minute and then it disappears. I went in and changed the letter drive it's assigned to in disk management as Windows Support recommended but it still happens. The device shows as healthy in Device Manager but nonexistent in Disk Management.

Anyone else run across this before?

Not my thumb drive specifically, but when I upgraded to 10 (which on the whole has been really positive) I went through a period of my wifi signal getting lost. An update later and that settled down. Reports are that 10 has a few wonky issues but nothing catastrophic and most get resolved fairly easily.

• 4 weeks later...

The update didn't work for me, but this did.

• Make a new Finder window
  • Use cmd-shift-G to go to /Library/SystemMigration/History/ (<--you can copy the path from here) and manually proceed on inside Migration-some-gibberish/QuarantineRoot/usr
  • Copy the libdvdcss.2.dylib file (Cmd-C)
  • Use cmd-shift-G to /usr/local/lib (but don't copy this path or you'll lose your file!)
  • Use cmd-opt-V to move it (instead of copy) it to this location
  • It will ask for your password and should then move it