Random tech support thread

Dread

The latest iOS update has rendered my iPhone nearly unusable. Everything has a delay, Siri randomly opens sometimes when I click the home button and my iTunes doesn't recognize it when I plug it into my laptop. I lost most of my music when I had to get a new phone due to a battery problem.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

So, does anyone have experience with Wordpress?

I set up my author site and directed my domain www.desmondreddick.com (hereby referred to as dr.com) to the wordpress site www.desmondreddickblog.wordpress.com (hereby referred to as drb.wp.com). 

When the address bar reads dr.com, my Amazon links don't work. Other links do (one to an episode of DM and another to the publisher's site). It's not a singular link, but it's a link to my book, the two anthologies and the other authors involved in the shared universe. 

However, the links work when the address bar reads drb.wp.com.

I can't find a reason for this. Help.

Update: it's not the length of the links. I shortened one and it doesn't work. Also, it will open in a new tab if I hold down on the command button at the same time as clicking like any other link.

Update: fixed it. I turned off domain masking at Godaddy so that my site will read drb.wp.com even though people have gone to dr.com. I don't have any idea why that one thing would alter the functionality of links just to Amazon. Oh well... Still looking for a permafix if anyone has one.

Edited by Dread

• 1 month later...

Homeland Security is recommending PC users uninstall Quicktime pronto. If one were to visit a malicious site or download a not-so-friendly file, vulnerabilities in Quicktime would allow hackers to, well, hack. Since Apple is no longer supporting PC versions of Quicktime, no fixes, updates, or patches will ever come. Mac users are okay.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, MAJOR HELP NEEDED here:

I open my manuscript draft and all of a sudden I can't write any further. it won't read my keystrokes, and then when i hit backspace a bunch, it will delete the last word and I won't be able to retype it. ALL OTHER WORD DOCUMENTS SEEM TO BE WORKING AS NORMAL except my novel manuscript.

I believe it may have something to do with an accidental set of keys pressed. it's the only thing that makes sense to me anyway. Thanks

it just seems as if the top of page 193 has been decided as the end point. I can delete some stuff and then some stuff I typed after shows up, but then disappears again.

Word 2013, by the way.

Edited by Dread

Is it the whole document or just page 193? Is it saved on a flash drive, hard drive, or in the cloud?

If other documents are working, you might want to try copying and pasting the manuscript into a fresh file, then saving it with the same file name but with _NEW or _BU on the end.

If you want to shoot me the file, I can look at it.

Thanks. I copy/pasted into a new document and it had the same problem - seemingly with the end of the line in particular - but on the copy/pasted version I was able to skip to the next line (which I was not able to do before). I finished the sentence, copy and pasted it back into the original document and now everything seems to be fine. That is crazy fucked up.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

When I moved in with Shana six and a half years ago (~!), I wanted to setup a local network for us to share files, pictures, etc. Finally, today, I used an older Mac mini to do so. It took about 45 minutes, and I felt like the coolest guy in the world. Batman cool. No. Robin cool. (Ah yeah!) Some guys build backyard decks, I build file-sharing networks, yo!

• 4 weeks later...

In case you haven't heard of Ransomware, here's the warning message I sent my family this afternoon.

This morning, my work was hit with a relatively new digital / cyber threat called Ransomware.

How It Works
Hackers will send out e-mails pretending to be from the United States Postal Service, UPS, FedEx, and other courier services. These e-mails will pertain to tracking a package or updating your account credentials. Depending on their ruse, you will be prompted to download a file or click an embedded link. Doing either of these will instantly corrupt your computer and encrypt (RE: lock) all files on the machine. Your computer will, in essence, become a paperweight. Additionally, if you are at work and share data via network drives, those files will also become encrypted.

Once files have been encrypted, the hackers will demand you pay a ransom to unlock said files. This is usually through Bitcoin. As important as these files are, do not pay the ransom. Ever. This cannot be stressed enough. Paying the ransom does not guarantee the hackers will provide you with the key (RE: code) to unlock the files. Also, once they've gotten into your machine, your computer is still at risk; they can always re-lock it down the line, demanding more and more money.

Precautions

• Backup your machines regularly. Save your files to an external hard drive, and backup the computer itself. This includes the applications and operating system (RE: OS). Depending on your OS and the amount of data you need to backup, this can take some time to complete but it is worth it in the long run.
    • Once the backups are complete, make sure to disconnect the hard drives from your computer. Doing so will prevent any viruses or malware from getting a hold of these precious backups.
  • Get the latest antivirus software of your choice, update it everyday (or make sure it's set to auto-update), and have the software scan your computer automatically.
  • Regularly download and apply Microsoft or Apple updates. This will patch the holes hackers are able to breach, be it with Ransomware or other forms of malware.
  • Lastly, but most importantly, do not open any unsolicited e-mails from the United States Postal Service, UPS, FedEx, and other courier services.
    • When you are sent a tracking number for a package, it will come from the seller (e.g. Amazon, Zappos, etc.) and not the courier.

The FBI notes this particular digital threat is on the rise, and is hitting individuals and businesses alike. Please remain vigilant and pass this message on.

So, yeah, had we not taken a backup of our servers this morning before the attack, our entire digitized library and art gallery would be gone.

• 7 months later...

I'm in the process of trying to build a new PC. My old one has been kaput for a bit over two years and my laptop is at the point where I can no longer play most games made in a last year or two. The problem is that one of my roommates is trying to help me but he has a tendency to be a bit of a techie and either I'm going to go over my budget or end up without a graphic card which is the entire reason I'm building this machine. Trying to find the nicest way to say, "I don't want to use all your favorite brand."

• 3 months later...

Has anyone experimented with putting games on their website? When I volunteered at the public library, all the kiddies would use the computers to play games powered by Kongregate. Looking into it I have found that all though many of the games are open source, some of them come with viruses. Are there any open source or public domain games that you would recommend?