The Blackest Night

prez

Ok, so I am practically jumping up and down in glee waiting for Blackest Night. I can't stop reading the build-up books and I'm hypothesizing what happens all the time.

Imagine my glee when I come to work and my co-worker tells me about this.

That two-page spread has me practically giddy. I warn you, though, don't look too in-depth if you're avoiding spoilers.

I'm loving most of the names there, but I'm really hesitant about the non-superpowered beings mentioned. Sue Dibny? Jonathan Kent? Maxwell Lord? Even Wesley Dodds and Digger Harkness were heroes defined by their weaponry. If these people appear as Black Lanterns, where's the advantage?

Is Maxwell Lord going to use a ring to scheme people to death?

Nonetheless - Al Pratt, Ted Kord, there are people there who are just freaking awesome.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I am practically jumping up and down in glee waiting for Blackest Night. I can't stop reading the build-up books and I'm hypothesizing what happens all the time.

Imagine my glee when I come to work and my co-worker tells me about this.

That two-page spread has me practically giddy. I warn you, though, don't look too in-depth if you're avoiding spoilers.

I'm loving most of the names there, but I'm really hesitant about the non-superpowered beings mentioned. Sue Dibny? Jonathan Kent? Maxwell Lord? Even Wesley Dodds and Digger Harkness were heroes defined by their weaponry. If these people appear as Black Lanterns, where's the advantage?

Is Maxwell Lord going to use a ring to scheme people to death?

Nonetheless - Al Pratt, Ted Kord, there are people there who are just freaking awesome.

I'm thinking maybe that the ring has powers other than bringing the dead back.

Regardless,

Vic Sage

FTW!

Bruce Wayne

isn't dead.

To me, that's kinda the point. Black Hand is going off with people that appear to be dead.

If you're reading Booster Gold, than you also know that Ted Kord isn't dead either. Someone's buried there but we don't know who in either cases.

For that matter, with people who are ghosts like

the Dibney's

and Boston Brand, then what happens when their corpses suddenly become Black Lanterns?

But they put an unmarked grave their, and maybe the body believes that he is him, and someone believing truly that they

are batman

is not only scary, it's fucking disturbing.

Whoa, whoa, whoa fucking whoa

Captain Boomerang was already temporarily brough back in the Flash rogues war and he wanted to be left dead and his son to know he loved him.

I just realised

Sue Dibny and Dr Light may be on the same team. Wonder if Johns will mention Identity Crisis. Also Psycho Pirate!!!

Also: I think that half the appeal of the Black Lanterns is psychological. I mean is

Dick gonna wanna take on his parents?

or

Supes gonna want to fight Kal-L or even Jonathan Kent?

Plus you can do things like

Sending Max Lord after Diana

and

Ted Kord and Vic Sage after Jamie and Montoya, respectively.

This is really shaping up to be an intense, psychological epic, I think.

I don't get to read this until September. :(

It'll probably just be winding up then so you'll get to read it all in one rather than piecemeal like us. You may even get to read it in order instead of how they release it. Consider yourself lucky.

Also, maybe I missed something but why can't you read comics until September? Where are you going?

I'm home until September. At the moment, there's not a comics shop near enough that I can get out there on a regular basis, not to mention that I'm pretty sure that my parents will be pissed if I'm spending $ on comics.

Ah, the good old days back when your parents tried to keep and eye on you and control your decision-making, I remember them well. Thank god I'm free of that. Free of them. Forever.

I'm going down to my basement. I need to remove the evid...do my laundry. Yes thats it, laundry. Everything clean.

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised and a little disappointed by one of the resurrected names.

Roscoe Dillon AKA The Top was one of the best characters in Johns' run on The Flash, and yes his body was frozen and shattered by the rogues but Dillon's whole deal by that point was that he could transfer his conciousness from one body to another, so I always took his death as temporary.

I'm mollified slightly by the fact that Johns himself is writing this but I makes me feel like the original story was mistold somehow.

Most of this issue bored me, and I feel too much time was spent on Hawkgirl and Hawkman. I mean, did that scene really need 11 pages -- 1/3 of the book?

I understand why there needed to be so much set up, so much wallowing in death, but I didn't care. Because we bounced from graveyard to graveyard, little to no time was spent telling us why we should mourn these dead heroes. So everything fell flat.

I mean, oh noes, evil

Sue and Ralph Dibny~!

I know that means something to someone, but if you want this book to grab non-Green Lantern / non-DC readers like me, make me care about those characters before you turn them into heart-eating super-zombies.

By no means did I hate the book (I'll probably read the eventual trade), but it wasn't as riveting as I had hoped.

I'm getting the first issue, and this months green lantern issues, then I'm waiting for the trade.

Also maybe this is juts Johns calling back to every book he's ever wrote for DC, with Hawkman, Black Hand,

the original question. Psycho Pirate

and many others who Johns has wrote over the years, maybe this is his way or trying to bring everything together in one big story.

So are the people zombies following Scar, or are they just the people now with powers like the green Lantern working for Scar and

the anti monitor

who can do what they want, but work for the bigger plan of Scar.

Also,

when will Bizarro Hal Jordan show up? Johns has already shown he is being trained by the Sinestro Corps, and Johns said he will make an appearance.

So many spoilers, so little post.

It could all just be a mind fuck.

What's scarier than seeing your loved ones coming to kill you.

Some empty vessel, in the guise of your brother who died in battle, you don't know if he's there or not, or your sister, long thought dead at the hands of Deathstroke twenty odd years ago.

If Johns isn't going with that, then I am taking that idea and running with it.

Also, it's an eight issue series, with Green Lantern and Corps still going on, if it wasn't Jhons and Tomasi, I'd think it was overkill.