Waiting for the trade

SuaveStar

I'm split. It's much easier to appreciate the nuances of the storytelling in trade form, but I feel like a lot of the beauty of the medium is in the monthly wait in between installments. The impatient bastard in me means I'm usually buying monthly, however if I've missed out on a series I love sitting down with the full trade in hand to enjoy the entire experience in one afternoon.

These days, everything Marvel and DC publish will end up in a trade or hardcover. I'd rather spend my money on monthlies that need monthly sales like those from independent publishers and wait to pick up the trade from the Big 2. And like I said, I have a better chance of reading something again if I have the trade on my shelf as opposed to if it's in one of my longboxes.

I said this over on the Bat-Thread but I am one of these people who get like 20 titles a month. It's one of those weird things because I know i'd save money by waiting for the trade, especially because I've had times that I went like two months between buying comics and have to lay out 200 some bucks but, for me, part of it is that I have an awesome crack dealer... err... comic book store owner who leans over backwards for his regular customers. I have no trouble giving him as much of my pay check as I do since 1) he gives me a good discount, 2) he bothered to learn my name and 3) he notices when I look for a certain title in the back issues and adds it to my regular file without me needing to ask.

Trades have changed how the industry works for the better or worse. In the eighties, we would have one issue stories and story lines that went on for years. Now, we might get one one issue stories once a year at best in a title and otherwise, we get stories that go on for four-six issues (the size of a trade) where half of them feel like they could have been wrapped up in one. I dunno, I prefer single issues to trades but that's just me.

I'm split. It's much easier to appreciate the nuances of the storytelling in trade form, but I feel like a lot of the beauty of the medium is in the monthly wait in between installments. The impatient bastard in me means I'm usually buying monthly, however if I've missed out on a series I love sitting down with the full trade in hand to enjoy the entire experience in one afternoon.

See, this is where I am as well.

I say "I'll wait for the trade" then a day later I say fuck it and get the issues.

What sucks is holding all the issues and the ads and trying to read them, I mean a trade is easier to get through than several issues as you don't have double page ads and most of the time you get the whole story.

It's just hard making that transition from issues to trade, and it's almost like being a drug addict, you need your monthly hit of Batman, Captain America, Green Lantern or walking dead. You see the issue and say "I'll start next month, this month is the beginning of a new story, I'll try out this issue and then drop it" but then you say "Well, that was weak, but I've started, so I have to finish, why should I buy the trade if I already have the first issue."

It was said on e-2 the show that comic fans have a different habit to most other collectors and the best comparison is drug addiction, I need my fix of what Grant Morrison is doing to fuck with the order and focus of the DCU, what is Bendis's big plan with Dark reign, will the guy from walking dead's life get any worse?

But maybe I'm reading too much into that comparison, as it can also be looked at like a drug dealer, getting you hooked on something and then saying "You enjoying that? Great, because starting next month, it's costing more. Come on, you can't leave now that Spider-man and Mary-Jane just got back together, what about Batwoman, what is she doing in Gotham?"

Maybe I have way too much free time to make these comparisons between being a comic fan and being a drug addict.

So thoughts?

I'll use single issues to help me decide whether or not I'll get into a series. There's nothing out there at the moment that I want to collect from month to month, either because I'm playing catch up with the series (like I am with The Goon and The Walking Dead) or because it feels like something I can just get the trades of somewhere down the track (like I have with Criminal). So it's not much of a worry.

With most books I will get the single issues, Green Arrow excluded for a reason I'm not sure about, but every so often I may miss something I deem important like how I'm waiting on 'Whatever Happened to The Caped Crusader' after I missed the first half. Most of the time Trades are for the things I could not get as singles that may be of a certain age or rarity.

-Skyler