Episode 56

RSS

During the recording James pointed something out to me: I totally fucked up the order of The Zeta Project. We should have spoken about "The Hologram Man" last, as it was the last episode to air and be produced. However, when I got the list of episodes off of Wiki, I didn't look at the production codes; I simply looked at how they were listed on the site and went with that. Whoops!

Why cant there be a substance on earth that shares similar radioactive properties as kryptonite that predates the first chunks of kryptonite landing on earth?

For one, it's way too convenient that any Kryptonite landed on Earth to begin with. That it was found and discovered as Superman's weakness is also way too convenient. So adding in another rock that does the same thing but isn't Kryptonite, that's asking too much.

The Jade Dragon from World's Finest being passed down from generation to generation was not the case. Alfred has a line that says that The Jade Dragon was carved 30 years ago and has passed through a series of owners (not necessarily related) who have all met with premature deaths. This prompts Batman to explain that this "jade" is giving off low levels of radiation.

The Jade Dragon being carved 30 years ago fits in the time line of Superman: The Animated Series since Clark is probably in his thirties at the time. Therefore this is not a plot hole in the movie, because there is no mention of generations, but a series of owners. Likely when one of these owners died, The Jade Dragon ended up at an auction house and was sold, in which the next owner would meet an unfortunate end. Since auction houses generally have catalogs of what is being sold, this could have been what Alfred was using as a reference, which he shows Batman. Recall also that Joker and Harley break into an antique shop to steal The Jade Dragon in the first place.

During the recording James pointed something out to me: I totally fucked up the order of The Zeta Project. We should have spoken about "The Hologram Man" last, as it was the last episode to air and be produced. However, when I got the list of episodes off of Wiki, I didn't look at the production codes; I simply looked at how they were listed on the site and went with that. Whoops!

Its way better that you reviewed earlier in the podcast. "The Hologram Man" does not make sense as a last episode.

EDIT: When I said "The Hologram Man", I meant "The Wrong Morph"

Why cant there be a substance on earth that shares similar radioactive properties as kryptonite that predates the first chunks of kryptonite landing on earth?

For one, it's way too convenient that any Kryptonite landed on Earth to begin with. That it was found and discovered as Superman's weakness is also way too convenient. So adding in another rock that does the same thing but isn't Kryptonite, that's asking too much.

well there are more than one type of kryptoniteKryptonite.jpg

green K: fatal but only to kryptonians

red K: effects on kryptonians are unpredictable and temporary

gold K: permanently robs kryptonians of their powers (without killing them)

blue K: only deadly to bizzaros

white K: deadly to all plant life in the known universe

I thought "On The Wire" was better than how well Mike and James. I love the future comic con ("picto con"). The funniest part was when Agent West tells some people that he is looking for a robot, he is directed to another room where there are some type of robot comic book fans dressed up as robots. LOL.

picture2l.jpg

I also loved it when Ro asked that guy for his sword. He then quickly corrects her as "its not a sword its a" blah blah, Ro doesn't care.

picture3ang.jpg

There are a bunch of other funny things in that scene that I love! It reminds of the comic con scene in Batman The Brave And The Bold "Legends of The Dark Mite".

Other than some bad animation for Casey, I loved this Zeta Project episode!

Ro finally meets her brother!

picture4qrv.jpg

When Zeta is being chased by Agent Bennet on the bridge, it reminds me of a similar part in the 007 movie, A View To A Kill (which was reviewed a couple weeks ago on For Your Ears Only).

picture5v.jpg

Also, Mike and James, you said when you were reviewing "The River Rising", that we have not seen any people that shun technology in the Batman Beyond/Zeta era, WRONG. Did you guys forget the awesome, grenade throwing, crazy, villain in Batman Beyond, MAD STAN!

01.jpg

:bowdown:

He hated technology.

One more thing, I cannot believe I actually noticed this, In "The Wrong Morph", when Zeta and Ro are going through police files to find Blake, they quickly go through the files with pictures of criminals, very quickly, but I managed to get a glimpse of who appeared to be the Kaznian minister guy in the first episode of Batman Beyond. What? Why is he on these police files. Its pretty interesting, you see the Kaznian guy from Rebirth for like a millisecond. I know its him because that guy has a very distinctive face. I also saw the man in Batman Beyond that was in charge of splicing, along with other familiar faces.

picture1vyr.jpg

Also, Mike and James, you said when you were reviewing "The River Rising", that we have not seen any people that shun technology in the Batman Beyond/Zeta era, WRONG. Did you guys forget the awesome, grenade throwing, crazy, villain in Batman Beyond, MAD STAN!

:bowdown:

He hated technology.

When James made the comment about anti-technology folks, the first thing that came into my head was "INFORMATION OVERLOAD, MAN!!!"

In 1989 or 1990, there was an issue of X-Men (around the 230s) set in the Savage Land. It started with a research station in Antarctica. They were talking about the new shipment of movies, and someone complained that they couldn't get (Mike, put a cushion on the table, quick) "Batman" (See, the cushion is much easier on your forehead). If Marvel can reference a movie about a DC character in their universe, DC/Warner Brothers could certainly claim that an actor dressed as Squirrel Girl was at a comic convention in their universe.

I also liked the part in "Cabin Pressure" after the main ship accidentally hit Zo, Reta, and Bucky's escape pod with the "shot across their bows". Look and listen to Bennett. He seems genuinely concerned and dismayed that they hit the pod (presumably, because that should have killed Ro and Becky). It was another nice 1-2 second character development - he may be a hard-ass and the antagonist, but he's not evil, and clearly identifies himself as one of the good guys. There hasn't been as much of that aspect since Lee left - it was good to see it again.

I have to say, though, I was surprised during the review of the episode with Ro's brother (these episode names just don't stick in my head). I can't believe that you guys didn't comment on the huge plot hole.

I'm Agent Bennett (huh. Just caught that. Maybe he should trade in his goggles for a pair of horn-rimmed glasses). I'm involved with a top-secret espionage program, which uses robots to masquerade as people and get information. We have a rogue robot. To capture him, and maintain this TOP-SECRET operation, I'll accept help from a news organization in exchange for an exclusive on the capture. Ya-what? Isn't it hard to have a secret operation without the secret part? Sure, there have been leaks, but going live at 11? And you think West should be fired.

Chris

In 1989 or 1990, there was an issue of X-Men (around the 230s) set in the Savage Land. It started with a research station in Antarctica. They were talking about the new shipment of movies, and someone complained that they couldn't get (Mike, put a cushion on the table, quick) "Batman" (See, the cushion is much easier on your forehead). If Marvel can reference a movie about a DC character in their universe, DC/Warner Brothers could certainly claim that an actor dressed as Squirrel Girl was at a comic convention in their universe.

It goes beyond that, though, as we see a clip of the Squirrel Girl series.

I also liked the part in "Cabin Pressure" after the main ship accidentally hit Zo, Reta, and Bucky's escape pod with the "shot across their bows". Look and listen to Bennett. He seems genuinely concerned and dismayed that they hit the pod (presumably, because that should have killed Ro and Becky). It was another nice 1-2 second character development - he may be a hard-ass and the antagonist, but he's not evil, and clearly identifies himself as one of the good guys. There hasn't been as much of that aspect since Lee left - it was good to see it again.

Good point, but I saw it as concern for the city in which the ship would have crashed.

I have to say, though, I was surprised during the review of the episode with Ro's brother (these episode names just don't stick in my head). I can't believe that you guys didn't comment on the huge plot hole.

I'm Agent Bennett (huh. Just caught that. Maybe he should trade in his goggles for a pair of horn-rimmed glasses). I'm involved with a top-secret espionage program, which uses robots to masquerade as people and get information. We have a rogue robot. To capture him, and maintain this TOP-SECRET operation, I'll accept help from a news organization in exchange for an exclusive on the capture. Ya-what? Isn't it hard to have a secret operation without the secret part? Sure, there have been leaks, but going live at 11? And you think West should be fired.

HA! Can't believe we missed that!

And I caught the Zeta Project / Heroes connection a long time ago, but I never mentioned it because... I don't know why. Hmm. Maybe I thought I did.