Quitting comics

Missy

• 1 month later...

I quit reading superhero comics in the 90's when the Spider-clone stuff was going on. I drifted into the humor indie stuff of Dan Clowes and Evan Dorkin for a while, but their releases were much more sporadic and eventually drifted off comics altogether in my early 20's. I still enjoyed the DCAU stuff on TV for the time being.

I got back into comics now that I have a son who is crazy about Batman, after watching episodes of The Batman on Boomerang. My wife and I started picking up the full season DVDs I started dipping my toe back into the comic waters when I found that I could check out trades at my local library. I also have a job where I can listen to my ipod all day, but I got sick of music. I got into podcasts. It was then got into listening to World's Finest Podcast, Earth-2.net the Show, Funnybook Babylon, and IGN Comic Smash. I have taken my son to the local shop near my house a couple of times to pick up Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Uncle Scrooge for him and GL/GLC stuff for myself. He's still at the stage where I have to watch him like a hawk in the store, so I tend to stick with using the hold system on my library web page to quickly select book and pick them up.

• 1 year later...

I got back into comics now that I have a son who is crazy about Batman, after watching episodes of The Batman on Boomerang. My wife and I started picking up the full season DVDs I started dipping my toe back into the comic waters when I found that I could check out trades at my local library.

I'm going to shill a little bit here since I do work at a library. One thing that is very nice is that my library system (21 branches in my county) have an enormous trade selection. It is easier for us the shelve them and it makes it easier for patrons (customers) to read them. We also carry regular issues, but its a only a few superhero series.

With the trades, we've got everything from the big two, to the little independents. The nicest thing for me though is if I see something in the store that I wanted to read, but wasn't sure about (52 for example), my library has the entire trade collection of it. So for no money I can have a good book, and make up my mind about owning it, for free.

It's a win win.

• 7 months later...

I stopped going to LCS because I just couldn't afford it. I then asked them to stop pulling new stuff and I would pick up what I had when I could or they could reshelve it and keep the 5 bucks for my file. They didn't listen. I sent them an e-mail. Still getting callable to pick up the file I don't want. I know its the douche move but I asked nicely. Now I'm just going to call, cancel my file, and get a much smaller file at another store. It's a shame considering how much money I gave them that they had to be dicks about it.

I stopped going to LCS because I just couldn't afford it. I then asked them to stop pulling new stuff and I would pick up what I had when I could or they could reshelve it and keep the 5 bucks for my file. They didn't listen. I sent them an e-mail. Still getting callable to pick up the file I don't want. I know its the douche move but I asked nicely. Now I'm just going to call, cancel my file, and get a much smaller file at another store. It's a shame considering how much money I gave them that they had to be dicks about it.

That happened to a friend of mine, too. Obviously, there isn't a great big LCS collusion, but it's no secret that they're hemhorraging money right now. So apparently it's not uncommon for these stores to "forget" to shut down your pull list and hope that when they have books fro you next month you'll buy them anyway.

Yeah. Really, I'm currently drafting an e-mail to send to my soon to be former store and weighing my options. I haven't really read comics on a regular basis in at least half a year, around the time that the new 52 started. I'm probably going to figure out if I want to go with DCBS or the store that I pass by at least once a week or if I'm just going to go over to trades only since that might honestly be the cheaper option.

Update: sent an email, going to pick up a few books at a time. If things continue to get pulled after this time, I'm walking out in my hair rollers and never coming back.

It doesn't work like that, unless you bring the pink robe, and the fluffy slippers as well, then they'll know you mean business.

• 3 weeks later...

Theres only two times I have considered quitting comics. First time was 90s 2000ad during the era where the so called superstar writers Grant Morrison and Mark Millar were doing their best to ruin the comic. This one suceeded and I only came back to 2000ad in 2005 thanks to a series of articles called thrill power overload in the judge Dredd megazine which chronicled the history of the comic

Second time is the new 52...I have tried I really have but I now only buy four dc comics now after getting over 25 at the start of the new 52. This one is a wait and see

I quit reading Marvel regularly after Secret Invasion. The ending (with Norman randomly getting appointed dictator of the world simply because his bullet got to the queen a half-second before Wolverine's claws did) really made me feel like Marvel was treating me like an idiot sheep who would just read anything despite even the most basic common sense. I can handle that in small pieces, but when the entire direction of the universe follows that, it's too much. It probably didn't help that Secret Invasion was also sold as the true finale to the mega-arc that began with Avengers: Disassembled (a mega-arc that I'd loved, mostly), so ending it like that felt like a huge slap in the face.

Theres only two times I have considered quitting comics. First time was 90s 2000ad during the era where the so called superstar writers Grant Morrison and Mark Millar were doing their best to ruin the comic. This one suceeded and I only came back to 2000ad in 2005 thanks to a series of articles called thrill power overload in the judge Dredd megazine which chronicled the history of the comic

I was pretty fortunate with my timing with 2000AD. By the time I started John Wagner was starting The Pit, Sinister Dexter was getting into full swing and Nikolai Dante was about 18 months away from starting. There was a lot of dross and some bad things to come but I really did get in just as things were starting to improve. It's amazing just how close Egmont came to killing the whole thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually quite liked Big Dave when I reread it (a mate of mine who was a couple of years older discovered girls and gave up comics, so gave me a couple of years worth of back issues). It was a pretty good send up of Lad culture but it was badly, badly misplaced. It was a Viz style comic taking up space in 2000AD, so I can see why people objected to it so vitriolically. Babe Race, I never read and I'm glad for it by the sounds of things.

Black Light was okay, as was Vector 13, but they were incredibly bland X-Files copies. I can see why the audience who'd read Necropolis and Rage felt like the comic was dying at that point. What wasn't awful was fairly bland and Judge Dredd was only any good when Wagner was writing it. No one else could get a handle on him or the world in quite the same way. The Pit really was a huge turn around and really expanded Dredd's world after the stagnation that had set in after Necropolis.