Batman Beyond

Koete

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Pt. 2 of the latest video series of 20 Questions With Dan Didio (which I would NOT recommend viewing as it spoils Legion of Three Worlds #5), Dan said yes in response to a question asking if we'll see Terry in the pages of a DC Comic sometime soon.

Have we ever seen Terry?

Trinity?

Superman/Batman, actually. Though he may have also been in Trinity; I wouldn't know.

There was actually an error in the final print of the issue, though, because his name was stated to be "Tim." The author (whose name I can't remember at the moment) said that it was a mistake, and that the collected trade form would have the corrected "Terry." For some reason, however, it wasn't corrected.

But about Didio's announcement...

YES. YESYESYESYESYES.

I honestly don't understand why we don't see Terry a lot more often.

Yeah, I edited what I said because I was talking about the kitten killing meh-ness of Trinity. The issues I read were not new reader friendly.

Also, the figure that came out from the series, is

Tim Drake

so someone at DC just said "Nah, I don't feel like changing it."

Watching the video now, and can I ask, who gives a shit about red tornado?

Maybe I missed it during his, well ramblings in the video, but when does DiDido mention Terry?

• 1 month later...

I'll reserve excitement.

The character has never really been in a DCU comic so to say his "return" is a misnomer. I'll wait to see if it actually has any reason to exist. The fact that "the fans want it" is the worst reason I can think of. Tell a good story and I'll come around.

Now the question is, will this be an out of continuity story, the future of New Earth, or one of the 52? If the future of the DCU, then the sheer amount of teasers that can be thrown in would cause more speculation then a Rip Hunter chalk board. That said, I'm all for this being in one of the 52. Other than having less to explain, it also means that it could provide the perfect set-up for a mini with other characters in the Batman Beyond future.

Now the question is, will this be an out of continuity story, the future of New Earth, or one of the 52? If the future of the DCU, then the sheer amount of teasers that can be thrown in would cause more speculation then a Rip Hunter chalk board. That said, I'm all for this being in one of the 52. Other than having less to explain, it also means that it could provide the perfect set-up for a mini with other characters in the Batman Beyond future.

I'd love a Batman Beyond Elseworlds story. That way, like Kingdom Come, it could show a possible future, not a clearly alternate one.

• 6 months later...
SUPERMAN/BATMAN ANNUAL #4

On sale JUNE 2 * 56 pg, FC $4.99 US

Written by PAUL LEVITZ

Art by RENATO GUEDES & JOSE WILSON

Cover by STANLEY "ARTGERM" LAU

Expanding on the hit TV show Batman Beyond, this year's annual travels to the not-so-distant future where an aged Bruce Wayne oversees a new Batman, and the fate of a certain Man of Steel is very much in question. Metropolis is becoming crime-free, as someone is ridding the city of its criminal element permanently. Now, Terry McGinnis must uncover what's happening in Superman's home and face a very old and vindictive nemesis!

And don't miss the BATMAN BEYOND 6-issue miniseries kicking off this month!

BATMAN BEYOND #1

On sale JUNE 30 • 1 of 6 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

Written by ADAM BEECHEN • Art by RYAN BENJAMIN • Cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN

1:25 variant cover by J.H. WILLIAMS III

Terry McGinnis – the Batman of the future – and an elderly Bruce Wayne – the original Batman – are the sworn protectors of Neo-Gotham. But when someone targets The Dark Knight’s old foes, the new Batman must begin a case that reaches back into Bruce Wayne’s past and puts Terry’s future directly in danger!

Don’t miss the long-awaited return of the popular Batman Beyond franchise in this 6-issue adventure from Emmy Award-nominated animation writer Adam Beechen (Batman: The Brave and the Bold) and artist Ryan Benjamin (BATMAN & THE OUTSIDERS). And be sure to check out the SUPERMAN/BATMAN ANNUAL #4 from writer Paul Levitz and artist Renato Guedes starring the Batman Beyond characters!

Retailers please note: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.

Source

• 2 months later...

SUPERMAN/BATMAN ANNUAL #4 was great. Not really sure if it's for new readers, or even those who are only unfamiliar with Batman Beyond from Timm and Dini. It certainly helps to know the DCAU. They make a few references to the Starro/Justice League episode from the series which were fun for me. It's definitely set in that continuity.

Loved the art. Terry/Batman design is definitely to my liking and colored really well, especially since it's an entirely black suit, save for a little red and the belt. I wasn't too big of a fan of how Terry/Batman looked, but this book makes the suit look awesome! All the costumes and appearances stick to the DCAU designs without being in the cartoon style of Timm. Superman has a definite Christopher Reeve look, which is nice. They also incorporate certain aesthetics of the show like Terry's cowl vision. And everyone will recognize the costume trophies. Great stuff!!!

Bruce's thoughts are definitely intriguing as he holds back in telling Terry all that he knows. He figures out the case essentially after Terry has maybe two clues, but Bruce allows Terry to figure things out on his own and grow into the skilled Batman Bruce had been.

Bruce has a nice jab at Terry which I particularly enjoyed. A MUST READ for DCAU fanboys and a nice way to show that the DCAU can be brought to comics without having to be drawn in the animation style.

I read the issue. I didn't love it. I thought some things (like the direct copying of the character designs from the show) were very cool, but I wasn't as fond of the overall art. It didn't have the shadowy style that I think Batman Beyond should have, and the framing was less-than-stellar.

The writing wasn't very inspired, either. It really makes you admire the organic quality of the DCAU's writing when someone does a so-so job like this.