Episode 326

RSS

This week Dan and Mike discuss Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?, Spider-Man: Torment, and X-Men First Class: Tomorrow's Brightest. And while one of the books causes Mike to rant, another brings endless praise from both hosts. On top of that, a major announcement is made. [ 54:03 || 25.1 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_326.mp3

I bought the issues of WHTCC and though they were ok, and I liked the ending.

I just sold my issues on eBay and am not getting the HC as it simply costs too much for a story that may look pretty, but it is very average, though the ending was nice, and I don't really care about the other storys in the HC.

Andy Kubert was born to draw Batman. It takes him awhile, but it always ends up looking spectacular. If you want to see Batman stories that pay tribute to the Silver Age and do it well, read Grant Morrison's Batman run.

It's all in the Batman and Son trade, for anyone wanting to read what Koete is talking about, and he is right. Also his Joker is creepy.

Mike, I still maintain he is in the past, at the start of time in Crime Alley.

This may be the part of his persona of Batman dying, like the Batman side of his personality. Also, DiDido has said that he already knows how Bruce comes back, however if Dick as batman takes off, they may push that back.

Also, that thing about the modern age batman's end, that's what everyone thought this would be, and it really wasn't what we got.

It's all in the Batman and Son trade, for anyone wanting to read what Koete is talking about, and he is right. Also his Joker is creepy.

All of Morrison's trades really. Batman and Son scratches the surface of what Morrison does in The Black Glove and R.I.P.

All of Morrison's trades really. Batman and Son scratches the surface of what Morrison does in The Black Glove and R.I.P.

I meant your point about Andy Kubert and that being the trade his art for Morrisons Batman is in.

Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader should of been its own series. One that would go on for three issues, like what Mike and Dan said. Because people who had subscriptions or just bought BATMAN issues and DETECTIVE COMICS issues or whatever, nowadays, don't know the Silver and Golden Age that well. Also, this has nothing much from the Modern Age so it doesn't actually relate to the death of Batman in the continuity of the DCU that is going on today in the Modern Age. Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader, is basically looking back at the Golden Age and the Silver Age, and saying that Batman has also died outside of the Modern Age. I would just buy this story in the two issues, even though its not that type of story where you buy that way, it's still a rip off to buy the trade.

See what annoys me is that you can now find these in 50p bins, the two issues and if you wanted to read the Batman Black and White stuff, I would've bought Batman: Black and White.

That pisses me off, stuff getting put into several trades, like that, you put something in one trade, then you keep all the same stuff together.

I know this would never happen, but how about a deluxe edition featuring whatever happened to the man of tomorrow and the caped crusader, in one book.

But then that would contradict what I just said about about mixing seperate things.

Anyway, the Spider-Man thing, am I the only person who thought that this was Todd McFarlanes all star Batman and robin?

Guest DCAUFan1051

Listening now.... the Batman issues you guys covered the first thing that popped into my mind was the BTAS Ep Batman's In My Basement... only because of the fact that Bats died lol.

I don't believe "What ever happened to the Caped Crusader" was aimed at fans of the Silver Age, as much as it was fans of Batman in general. Because Batman comic fans could all get the references no matter how old they were. Like Des said he's 35 and he's the target audience for the story. I'm 20, and there wasn't a single thing I didn't understand. I see where you guys were coming from in that the story does a 180 in the second issue, but what I got from it was it was a two-issue love letter to the Batman character. I think coupled with the AMAZING artwork, 2/5's pretty damn harsh. I'd grade it 3.5/5 at least, but then again its my opinion.

If this was all about honoring the character of Batman, it would have been akin to "Legends of the Dark Knight." That episode showed his many incarnations, making note of the fact that Batman can survive in any era of comics books. But the two stories in the first issue were clearly an homage to tales from the Silver Age.

I think Dan's score is perfectly fair. No matter how good the art is, when the story is ho-hum, the book is going to falter. (Plus, recall he said his score was also based on the fact that DC is asking you to pay $25 for two new issues.)