Episode 18

RSS

In what must be a new record, it takes Mike less than four minutes to utterly shame himself. Beyond that, the duo briefly discusses the most recent season of Torchwood and the Eleventh Doctor's wardrobe. Also, two e-mails are answered. Oh, yeah, and the guys talk about "The Power of the Daleks," the first story starring Patrick Troughton as The Doctor. [ 47:02 || 21.6 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_018.mp3

Another great episode.

Have to say, I love this story. I'll say again though that I do think you're missing out by not listening to the BBC Audio releases of these stories, with cleaned up audio and additional narration (by Anneke Wills on this story). If you like listening to the Big Finish stories, It's sort of like listening to one of them. I know you like the reconstructions but personally, i find it really hard to watch them. Maybe you should watch the reconstructions, while listening to the Soundtracks...best of both worlds.

Patrick Troughton is a great actor..along with Peter Davison he's probably the strongest "actor" that has played the part (and like Davison, managed to avoid being typecast and would go on to appear in a lot more after his time as the Doctor). It is such a shame that so much of his era is missing, because watching the surviving episodes, there's so many little visual touches that he puts into his performance which are lost forever.

Can't wait to hear what you say about "The Underwater Menace"...I'll just wish you good luck on that one :D

I do think Old Man Toland called me out! Pistols at dawn, sir!

This was truly the episode of new Who, not just in the giddy anticipation of the Eleventh Doctor, but also the beginning of the Second Doctor's coverage. I hope for plenty of comparisons between Troughton and Hartnell, because whilst I don't think you were overtly dismissive of the First Doctor here, I was surprised it took just one story for Mike to declare Doctor #2 a better character than Doctor #1, not least his potential favourite. As long as there's an explanation throughout of why Troughton's iteration of The Doctor is the best, I'll have no cause to question such statements. Besides, I'll just ask Richard....

For me, in one episode Troughton showed more personality than Hartnell ever did. Plus, he's more fun. Don't get me wrong, I respect what Hartnell did for the role and he had some great moments (standing up to the War Machine was awesome), but I never connected with him. His Doctor was too grandfatherly, whereas Troughton's Doctor comes off as that cool uncle.

Another great podcast. A couple of brief points, Ben and Polly's knowledge of the Daleks is explained when Ben says something like "The real Doctor was always going on about the Daleks." implying that the First Doctor had spoken of them to Ben and Polly. Also by the time the story begins the Dalek ship has been in the mercury swamp for hundreds of years. It's conceivable that, as such, the second Doctor had defeated them in the past and so they could recognise him.

With regards to the round sign on the door of the new TARDIS this is the emblem of the St John's Ambulance which is a British first aid charity that provides first aiders for large events such as football matches and music festivals. It was on the TARDIS in the very first episode but was lost somewhere along the way. Presumably the sign would have been on police boxes as an indication that they contained first aid equipment. The whole look of the new TARDIS is very reminiscent of the design used in the Peter Cushing Dalek films.

P.S. My girlfriend was thrilled to hear you read out my e-mail for which you have my thanks.

EDIT: I see from the Doctor Who thread that you have already covered the St Johns ambulance so just pretend I haven't said anything.

• 2 weeks later...

First off: great episode. Informative, entertaining and above all, fun. :D

Second off: Even though my friends try to convince me that I'm missing out on the greatest thing since the orgasm I've never been able to get into TORCHWOOD. Several episodes actually put me to sleep. I did DVR the recent CHILDREN OF EARTH which has gotten enough good feedback that I'm willing to give it a try.

Third off: Watching DOCTOR WHO on BBCAmerica is the only way to view it as far as I'm concerned. I say that SciFi/Syfy cuts out some scenes to squeeze in more commercials. Some also say I've watched Francis Ford Coppola's "The Conversation" one too many times and as such tend to see conspiracies everywhere.

Fourth off: Maybe it's just me but hasn't it been established or just taken as a given that The Daleks recognize The Doctor no matter what incarnation he's in?

First off: great episode. Informative, entertaining and above all, fun. :D

Thanks!

Second off: Even though my friends try to convince me that I'm missing out on the greatest thing since the orgasm I've never been able to get into TORCHWOOD. Several episodes actually put me to sleep. I did DVR the recent CHILDREN OF EARTH which has gotten enough good feedback that I'm willing to give it a try.

Having just finished the second season, I can say it's much better than the first. Give it a try.

Third off: Watching DOCTOR WHO on BBCAmerica is the only way to view it as far as I'm concerned. I say that SciFi/Syfy cuts out some scenes to squeeze in more commercials. Some also say I've watched Francis Ford Coppola's "The Conversation" one too many times and as such tend to see conspiracies everywhere.

I've been told they do clip the shows a bit.

Fourth off: Maybe it's just me but hasn't it been established or just taken as a given that The Daleks recognize The Doctor no matter what incarnation he's in?

From what I've seen, I think it varies, but Dan will have to say for sure.