Kick-Ass

Koete

Daily Mail review

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Charlie Brooker pointed out that they're complaining about placing young girls in a violent sexual medium when they've got Suri Cruise in amongst all the sex-based stories on the right hand of the page.

The Daily Mail being hypocritical?!?! How dare you, sir!

That's a bloody funny review, especially given the 15 rating.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daily Mail review

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Charlie Brooker pointed out that they're complaining about placing young girls in a violent sexual medium when they've got Suri Cruise in amongst all the sex-based stories on the right hand of the page.

The Daily Mail being hypocritical?!?! How dare you, sir!

That's a bloody funny review, especially given the 15 rating.

Ratings don't mean anything to these people. They assume that Saw is aimed at pre-schoolers. They'll find a way to see it! The only solution is to purify society! No drugs! No immigrants! No video games! End the moral decay!

A worthwhile satire on tabloid newspaper culture might criticise the idiotic way it uses sadism and voyeurism to entertain, with no thought of the social consequences.

fixed

I was going to go see it with some friends but they're taking their time organising, I might just go myself. I'm interested in the positive reviews, I read the comic and thought it was good but not great. Interested to see how it plays out in the movie.

I re-read the comic this morning (enjoyed it a lot more this time) and then went to see the film after. Really fun film, I can't complain about much at all. The changes made were for the better cinematically, and the spirit of the original was completely intact. The one big change towards the end actually lead to the most inspiring superheroic moment in the film, I really hope the finale is followed up in a sequel and isn't just some throwaway Scott Evil thing like in Austin Powers 3. Although I couldn't have stood another one of those films.

kick-ass was great, go see it.

Why do I sometimes lurk on the IMDB forums? On director Matthew Vaughn's page, someone wrote:

Layer Cake, Stardust, Kick-Ass?

It just doesn't make sense! He directed three totally different movies.

Why doesn't he just stick to one genre?

Or, "Whaaaa! Why's he spreading his wings? Whaaaaaa!"

I think it had a little trouble balancing the humor and action with the drama. Again, I liked it a lot, but there were serious moments that felt lacking.

I don't think the humor and drama mixed all that well. There were some blackly humorous scenes that were downright hilarious but I don't think they worked with the serious scenes. And the ending was so viciously violent it drained all the fun out of the movie for me. And maybe that's the best thing I can say about it: it was a funny movie but it wasn't fun.

Hollywood Reporter puts it at $50 million. It's unclear if they are putting the distribution cost in it.

A $50 million production, "Kick-Ass" was acquired by Lionsgate for North American distribution for just mid-teen millions.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3iba737dcb4b3076c0dcab82e99c49a647?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thr%2Ffilm+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Film%29

Hollywood Reporter puts it at $50 million. It's unclear if they are putting the distribution cost in it.

A $50 million production, "Kick-Ass" was acquired by Lionsgate for North American distribution for just mid-teen millions.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3iba737dcb4b3076c0dcab82e99c49a647?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thr%2Ffilm+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Film%29

Story that Mark Strong (main villain) told on BBC radio was that after being turned down by all the studios the director raised around £30 million, made the film, turned around and sold it back to the studios for more than it would have cost for them to just make it themselves.

Hey, I've gotta ask:

What was up with that first person sequence?

Even in a film as crazy as this, I found that scene really out of place. This isn't Doom.

My guess is it was another reference to Modern Warfare 2. Hitgirl was wielding a tactical knife and I think a Desert Eagle, and she was holding them in exactly the same way your characters do in MW2. And I say "another reference" because Rasul was very clearly playing Modern Warfare 2 in his apartment.

Saw it.

Loved it.

Want more.

Nick Cage was perfect in the role. I read that he actually modeled his "Big Daddy" voice after Adam West's Batman; that's pretty hilarious.

Hit Girl was... dear lord, she is why I'm slightly wary of my nine-year-old cousin. I always knew a tiny girl could be an insane superninja!

The end of the rope/knife scene got applause from the audience.

Honestly, every scene that Hit Girl and Big Daddy were in (in-costume or out) was amazing. Perfectly-delivered dialogue and innocently dark humor.

The only overly negative thing I have to say about the film are the few little bits that make it offensive to a few specific people. One of my best friends (a girl) can totally handle the violence and nonstop cursing, but the masturbation scene, short and relatively tame as it was, very well might ruin the film for her.

Oh well. I say the film lived up to its name.