Watchmen Director's Cut Watchalong

Venneh

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I like them both equally in the end. Both have their flaws, but both are solid.

...I really don't like Dan adding in this passive agressive thing with Ozymandias, here. It imposes judgement where the whole point of the comic was that there were moral shades of gray.

So I'm skipping a bit ahead in the timeline, but I need to go to bed now so that I'm not dead tomorrow morning.

I was listening to David Hayter talk about his drafts of the film, and he said that his ending was originally very different. The Nite Owl/Rorschach/Ozymandias fight never happened, but the Dan/Laurie poolside sex still happened, and Dan had a realization afterwards: that Rorschach was right, and that evil must not got unpunished. Dan then went to see Adrian in the middle of the night, looked him in the eye, and said "If the world finds out what you did here, then they'll go back to fighting each other. But that won't stop me from killing you for it anyway."

Dan and Adrian then have a fight scene, where Dan obviously gets trashed. Adrian says "I'm sorry, Dan. I thought you'd be able to make it through this alive." He then bends over to the beaten-down Dan to deal the finishing blow, but sees the activated remote for Archie sitting in Dan's hand. Two bright headlights are seen through the room's tall windows, and Archie comes crashing through the building's wall/ceiling, right down on top of Adrian, killing him and barely missing Dan.

Inaccurate to the book or not, I would have loved that ending.

So I'm skipping a bit ahead in the timeline, but I need to go to bed now so that I'm not dead tomorrow morning.

I was listening to David Hayter talk about his drafts of the film, and he said that his ending was originally very different. The Nite Owl/Rorschach/Ozymandias fight never happened, but the Dan/Laurie poolside sex still happened, and Dan had a realization afterwards: that Rorschach was right, and that evil must not got unpunished. Dan then went to see Adrian in the middle of the night, looked him in the eye, and said "If the world finds out what you did here, then they'll go back to fighting each other. But that won't stop me from killing you for it anyway."

Dan and Adrian then have a fight scene, where Dan obviously gets trashed. Adrian says "I'm sorry, Dan. I thought you'd be able to make it through this alive." He then bends over to the beaten-down Dan to deal the finishing blow, but sees the activated remote for Archie sitting in Dan's hand. Two bright headlights are seen through the room's tall windows, and Archie comes crashing through the building's wall/ceiling, right down on top of Adrian, killing him and barely missing Dan.

Inaccurate to the book or not, I would have loved that ending.

Nah, that's about right where we were.

...Hm. I remember reading that somewhere. More thoughts in morning.

Nah, that's about right where we were.

Well, when I started writing that, it was about ten minutes earlier. My typing speed decreases with lack of sleep.

Am I the only one who doesn't hate the song at the end credits? I think it's kinda kickass, considering how well it seems to fit the movie.

No.

No.

No.

That ending would have been AWFUL. Adrian has to live with what he did. There will be no more heroics for him. He's going to live the rest of his life in haunted solitude. He "saved the world" but made himself into the greatest monster of all, that shot of him, in the broken down Karnak as Dan and Laurie leave is perfect.

I liked the end song, in its original form. Pop punk gets old real quick, especially when its MCR. It was okay the first time I heard it, but it's grown on me less and less as time has gone on.

So, all in all, most of the director's cut seemed pretty minor changes/additions to scenes that made up most of the new footage, and two scenes that I felt should've made the movie. Good investment, regardless.

Sleep times now. G'night all.

That ending would have been AWFUL. Adrian has to live with what he did. There will be no more heroics for him. He's going to live the rest of his life in haunted solitude. He "saved the world" but made himself into the greatest monster of all, that shot of him, in the broken down Karnak as Dan and Laurie leave is perfect.

Eh. I'm not so sure. I like the ending they have a lot, and I think that it works from a completely artistic perspective, but I also think that having Dan actually kill Adrian would have been a great character development for him and would have further solidified Rorschach's statements about justice. Also, I think movies need a bit more emotional closure than books do. It's not fair and it might even be wrong, but that's the way it is sometimes. For me, Dan becoming a badass and killing Adrian has more pros than cons. (But that might simply be because I tend to VERY closely lean towards Rorschach's hardline "commit murder and you become a target for justice" way of thinking)