Battlestar Galactica movie

KnightWing

Singer Confirmed for BSG

Battlestar Galactica movie a separate reimagining of TV show.

by Orlando Parfitt, IGN UK

UK, August 14, 2009 - Bryan Singer has been confirmed to direct and produce a big-screen version of Battlestar Galactica by trade mag The Hollywood Reporter, days after rumours first emerged on Hitfix.

Universal picked up the movie rights to the hit show this February and with X-Men helmer Singer onboard is fast-tracking the project.

There is no script yet, but apparently the new Galactica movie will be a totally separate reimagining of the BSG concept, and stand completely independent of the Sci Fi series.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/101/1014083p1.html

Bryan Singer was originally the one who was going to make the 2003 re-imagined BSG series before it went to Ron Moore.

Also, this film was originally proposed to be more in line with the original 1978 series (even directed/produced by the same man who created the original series, Glen A. Larson), but it's unclear what this new second re-imagining will be like.

So far we've had the super-cheesy 1978 series and the ultra-grim 2003 series. Something in the middle might be nice to see on the silver screen.

I'm interested to see what Singer might do with the mythos, but for Christ's sake, is there anything in the next few years coming out that's not a reimagining or a remake, theatrically?

Also, Starvos has an interesting point; the Buffy remake might work because it's been what, five years or so since we've had the series on TV in any form? Here, it's going to be released maybe a year or two tops after the series itself has finished, while there are still TV movies (The Plan) and a spin off (Caprica) going on.

Also, Starvos has an interesting point; the Buffy remake might work because it's been what, five years or so since we've had the series on TV in any form? Here, it's going to be released maybe a year or two tops after the series itself has finished, while there are still TV movies (The Plan) and a spin off (Caprica) going on.

I don't even thing a Buffy remake would work. franchises need breathing room, they need people to either want it back or not know they want it back. Sans Whedon no-one wants Buffy back. Battlestar is still here, there's no reason to push a big separate movie right now.

I don't even thing a Buffy remake would work. franchises need breathing room, they need people to either want it back or not know they want it back. Sans Whedon no-one wants Buffy back. Battlestar is still here, there's no reason to push a big separate movie right now.

I think Buffy can work just because the concept is simple and fun enough that it can grab general audiences merely with its title.

Battlestar needs a little while to breathe, I think. Then again, this movie is at least two years away, so maybe by that point it'll be alright. I do wonder how this affects Caprica, though. I suppose they could make the new movie a semi-sequel to Caprica, keeping the same basic backstory as the Sci Fi series but having a different approach to the main story.

A new BSG re-imagining is a completely iditotic idea. The Eick/Moore creation is absolutely sublime--why mess with perfection? I found the original show boring and inane but the re-imagined series was gripping and relevant. Bryan Singer isn't going to bring anything new to the table, there is absolutely ZERO need for a BSG feature film without Tricia Helfer & Co.

A new BSG re-imagining is a completely iditotic idea. The Eick/Moore creation is absolutely sublime--why mess with perfection? I found the original show boring and inane but the re-imagined series was gripping and relevant. Bryan Singer isn't going to bring anything new to the table, there is absolutely ZERO need for a BSG feature film without Tricia Helfer & Co.

That's what people said about the original BSG. The BSG universe is such that it can be reinvented in many different ways; I'd like to see a more Star Wars/Trek-style approach to it.

No, no, a thousand times no...the thought of the remake/reboot cycle collapsing to less than a year is just bone-chilling....

It is and it isn't. The movie won't be out for at least two years, and it could very well be a completely different type of story. I seriously doubt that it's going to be like the series. Besides, what's wrong with having another version? It's not like it's going to ruin the TV series. I'd rather have the movie come now than wait another ten years just for the sake of waiting.

It is and it isn't. The movie won't be out for at least two years, and it could very well be a completely different type of story. I seriously doubt that it's going to be like the series. Besides, what's wrong with having another version? It's not like it's going to ruin the TV series. I'd rather have the movie come now than wait another ten years just for the sake of waiting.

I'd rather Bryan Singer go out and do something original rather than service a brand name that's only just been serviced a year or so ago. I'd rather see the man who gave us the unique-at-its-time The Usual Suspects go back and give us a vision that's potentially new rather than a new reworking of something we just saw reworked.

That goes for almost every director that's working on a remake or a reimagining of a television show or a movie based on a toy...but you'll hear more about my thoughts about the sheer lack of originality in Hollywood in the first Earth-2 Better In The Dark on August 31st

Brands need time to breathe between incarnations--one of the reasons I suspect Star Trek worked so well is because there wasn't any iteration of the series on the screen for a long, long time. No new 'Trek in the theaters or on television made people open for a new vision. To have a new iteration almost immediately after the last iteration ended (and two, three years is still 'almost immediately' in move terms) is ludicrious. It will most likely end up killing the brand as people expecting an expansion of the previous iteration get let down.

This is an incredibly bad idea. It helps create the idea of a movie industry eating itself constantly with nothing new or original coming down the pike.

This is an incredibly bad idea. It helps create the idea of a movie industry eating itself constantly with nothing new or original coming down the pike.

But it might still be good, and I'd like more BSG in a couple years.

Besides, BSG hasn't been in theaters since 1978; the only version of BSG in recent years has been the Sci Fi series, which is aimed at a completely different market. The 2003 BSG series is a cult show; it's gotten great attention among critics and even http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08VCkyG_C2s, but the general masses are mostly unaware of it. While I'd love it if everyone on the planet got to see Sci Fi's BSG, that's just not going to happen. There are people that merely read the title and say "I am not investing more than two hours of my time on something called 'Battlestar Galactica.'" The BSG movie, however, is aimed at the mainstream. That doesn't mean that it can't still have deep messages (movies like The Dark Knight prove that), but it does mean that it will be an entirely new experience for the vast majority of its audience.

This film isn't a "re-imagining" of the 2003 series; it's been in the works since long before the 2003 series was ever put into production; these projects have been running parallel to one another. Bryan Singer's not an idiot; if he didn't have anything to do with BSG that wasn't already done, he wouldn't be behind this project.

Bryan Singer's not an idiot; if he didn't have anything to do with BSG that wasn't already done, he wouldn't be behind this project.

And yet he did Superman Returns, so I wouldn't rush to praise his judgment. How he managed to make something that was less watchable than Smallville I'll never know.

With regards to duelling/parallel TV & film projects, I failed to grasp the point of having a Terminator TV show that would ignore one of the films as the basis of its continuity whilst a 4th film was in production, which was picking up from after that film in question. I haven't seen any iteration of Battlestar, but the timing of this idea is pretty terrible.

And yet he did Superman Returns, so I wouldn't rush to praise his judgment. How he managed to make something that was less watchable than Smallville I'll never know.

I don't agree with that. Superman Returns is extremely well-directed and delves into a lot of interesting and essential ideas about Superman (his status as an icon; his absence from the public view); it just also happens to have certain story elements that don't exactly work for a Superman story.

That same kind of storytelling would actually work extremely well for Battlestar, though its story would demand a faster pace.

Besides, Singer also was the only director to ever grasp the point of X-men, and gave us two great films. So as far as Sci-Fi/Fantasy goes, he's 2 for 3.

With regards to duelling/parallel TV & film projects, I failed to grasp the point of having a Terminator TV show that would ignore one of the films as the basis of its continuity whilst a 4th film was in production, which was picking up from after that film in question.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was basically the sequel to Terminator 2 that never was (Terminator 3 didn't really pick up from T2; it seemingly skipped over a lot of important events). There was definitely a possibility of TSCC eventually linking up to T3, however, as it did actually have multiple references to the future events of T3 (Such as Sarah's cancer).

What it comes down to is that the re-imagined BSG is over. We'll get another new direct-to-DVD movie or two, but it's ultimately over. Caprica is such a different show that there's not much chance of its continuity being confused with the new movie's. The only danger is that it sets a precedent for future reboots, but considering that the only major version of BSG in recent memory is a cable TV series with a loyal but niche following, why not go ahead and make a new movie?

I don't agree with that. Superman Returns is extremely well-directed and delves into a lot of interesting and essential ideas about Superman (his status as an icon; his absence from the public view); it just also happens to have certain story elements that don't exactly work for a Superman story.

That same kind of storytelling would actually work extremely well for Battlestar, though its story would demand a faster pace.

Besides, Singer also was the only director to ever grasp the point of X-men, and gave us two great films. So as far as Sci-Fi/Fantasy goes, he's 2 for 3.

And I don't agree with that. The last 20 minutes of the film with Superman's death was plodding, cloying and added nothing to a film that was already running far too long for what it had to offer - not to mention the comedic fate of Luthor that was thrown in there randomly, the family Lane almost being submerged in a kitchen and an inability to get across anything remotely sympathetic about Lois. I'm not saying there weren't a few nice moments in terms of direction (the airplane sequence particularly stands out) but "extremely well-directed" is pretty wide of the mark. I do like Singer as a director but this was definitely his turkey.

I can't continue with the main thread as I don't know enough about the show/franchise

The last 20 minutes of the film with Superman's death was plodding, cloying and added nothing to a film that was already running far too long for what it had to offer - not to mention the comedic fate of Luthor that was thrown in there randomly, the family Lane almost being submerged in a kitchen and an inability to get across anything remotely sympathetic about Lois.

I won't continue arguing here, since it's off-topic, but I disagree with that, too. I think that sequence is one of the best parts of the movie.

Anyway...

I think it might be interesting to see a BSG movie more in the '78 series' style, overly bombastic and cheesy as hell.

• 4 years later...

Universal is preparing to start work on a Battlestar Galactica movie. Variety says the studio is planning to completely reimagine the sci-fi story — in which space-bound humans fend off the attacks of nefarious cybernetic Cylons as they try to find a new home — just five years after the four-season Syfy TV show set in the same universe drew to a close. The planned film would mark the second time Battlestar Galactica has been rebooted after the original show aired in 1978.

Jack Paglen, the writer of the upcoming Transcendence, has agreed to write the reboot's screenplay. Paglen is hot property for studios wanting to create sci-fi at the moment: he's also slated to write Ridley Scott's Prometheus sequel. Glen Larson, who worked on the 1970s TV series, will produce the film, but there's no confirmation yet on who'll take on the role of director. Bryan Singer was originally attached to a Battlestar Galactica movie project in 2011, but the production was put on hold in 2013 after the director committed to working on new X-Men movies. Having agreed to direct 2016's X-Men: Apocalypse, Singer is unlikely to have time to work on developing a new Battlestar.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/7/5591894/new-battlestar-galactica-movie-will-be-a-reboot