Episode 60

RSS

Depending on the content of the reference, it might make sense. If it's a reference to how Superman is always saving Lois, that makes sense. Lois is famous, Superman is famous, it would be something Virgil could have heard of in Dakota.

Wow, I feel like a total jackass. Now I'm questioning why I questioned it in the first place.

First off, an interview with Dwayne McDuffie from World's Finest online about Static, with at least one question about the guest stars. "Hoop Squad is mentioned. The exact words McDuffie uses are "train wreck." Secondly, since it came up in the mail section, here's a link to the forum post that McDuffie made where he flat out said that he thought of Richie as being gay.

I have to say, I don't really like the "reveal" that the Big Bang is what's corrupting everyone. The problem with this theory is that you then have to come up with another theory to explain the great gaping hole in the first - why are Static, Gear, the girl who travels through time later in the series, etc...immune? I wish they just went with the obvious. Why are so many Bang Babies criminal? Hmm. Let's see. Maybe the fact that the Big Bang happened in the middle of a gang war has a bit to do with it. If most of the people exposed were already engaged in criminal activity, then maybe most of them would continue to act in a criminal fashion. Nice. Simple.

As to reinforcing the door in "Shaq" and the cage he made to contain Woofer Boy, I've pointed out before that the scope of his powers are similar to Magneto's, and using his powers to reinforce metal far past its normal strength is a trick that the Master Of Magnetism has done several times before. As to the studio wall - I'm falling back on my "evil is dumb" defense.

James is right, that the stepfather didn't want Maureen. Even if he had, though, stepparents don't have a lot of rights. If a stepparent brings a child to the doctor, for example, there's not a lot that the doctor can do outside of emergency care, because a parent or guardian has to consent to treatment, and marrying a child's parent does not make you a guardian. Stepdad was a jerk, though, so he apparently didn't fight for her.

In defense of Pop's girlfriend, who knows how much detail they got of the suspects. As soon as they approached Virgil, he started acting like he had something to hide, and ran away...if I was a cop, I'd be suspiscious, too. I'm not saying there wasn't any racial profiling, but it turned into a big issue because he was giving off "I'm hiding something vibes", too.

I'll be honest, though, I can buy the throwing into space thing, especially since Trina had already said it was going to vaporize - much of that explosion may have been the gas and not Virgil. What I can't believe you guys didn't call out was this: I'm a courier transporting hazardous material. I will a) take a car, or b) take it on the subway. Well, and who wouldn't?

All of the discussion about suspension of disbelief did make me thing of something Larry Niven once said - in a sci-fi story, people will accept time-travel. They'll accept a dragon. A time-traveling dragon? - that's pushing it (I wonder if that was a dig at Anne McCaffrey?)

Chris

I have to say, I don't really like the "reveal" that the Big Bang is what's corrupting everyone.

I don't think the creators of Static Shock ever said that the Big Bang corrupted those characters. If Static ever said it's because he is unsure why that person is committing crimes. He also may have been lying when he said that. Because he said that to Mirage about her older brother. I mean what could he say to her? "The truth is your older brother is sort of a psychopath that has a sick and evil criminal mind, and he has used you, because of your powers, to help him commit these injustice acts. In other words he has made you team up with him to steal money because he is a bad guy."? The guy is Mirage's older brother, I bet she still loves him, and so Static just said he is doing this because the Big Bang gas messed with his head. By the way this all happened in the episode "Brother-Sister Act".

I have to say, I don't really like the "reveal" that the Big Bang is what's corrupting everyone.

I don't think the creators of Static Shock ever said that the Big Bang corrupted those characters. If Static ever said it's because he is unsure why that person is committing crimes. He also may have been lying when he said that. Because he said that to Mirage about her older brother. I mean what could he say to her? "The truth is your older brother is sort of a psychopath that has a sick and evil criminal mind, and he has used you, because of your powers, to help him commit these injustice acts. In other words he has made you team up with him to steal money because he is a bad guy."? The guy is Mirage's older brother, I bet she still loves him, and so Static just said he is doing this because the Big Bang gas messed with his head. By the way this all happened in the episode "Brother-Sister Act".

See, I like that interpretation much better.