The "What were they thinking?" thread

Dread

Having just read JL A New Beginning, it got me wondering about Black Canary and her costume change. This thread is dedicated to Good to bad costume changes only.

I'll go first:

9canary.jpg

We went from a black bodice suit and fishnets to an over-sized turtleneck with protrusions that can't make crime-fighting any easier?

It made this al the more sweeter:

act609.jpg

I lied, one more. (Not the original art, but the only picture I could find of the costume.)

501318-invisible_woman_drew_johnson01_super.jpg

Backstory? Reed DIED (They thought, he was jacking around in some alternate dimension or something.).

I repeat, Reed Richards DIED and Susan just seemed to think to herself. "Well, I'm a single mother of one. I might as well dress like a total whore."

I have two:

dd_armor.jpg

I had the chance to ask D.G. Chicchester about 'Motocross Daredevil,' and he was basically told he HAD to do it...

And the funniest part of this costume? The way Chichester and his editor would insist that it wasn't armor; it was 'biomimetic material.'

Thankfully, the 'Motocross era' crashed and burned almost immediately upon its inception, ending with Chichester taking his name off of the last storyline, resulting in WAGES OF SIN being attributed to 'Alan Smithee'

I lied, one more. (Not the original art, but the only picture I could find of the costume.)

501318-invisible_woman_drew_johnson01_super.jpg

Honestly, she's somebodies mother, how woud it look at the PTA meetings if she showed up like that?

Dread, I don't think you can count the Azbats costume since it was one of a string of costumes that Azreal wore around that time. Its certainly better than the generic 90's ninja costume he wore briefly before becoming Batman.

I think this may be my ultimate one....how can someone think going from this....0019.jpg to this....0230.jpg was a good idea?

I mean, we've got one of the guys wearing a blue jumpsuit covered with pink ears. With Pink Ears!

Is it any wonder that this version of the series was cancelled less than a year later?

(Incidentally, the funniest thing about this? The makers of Justice League Unlimited depicted the Listener costume as one of the displays in The Blackhawk Island Museum in the episode "I Am Legion.")

3842040488_6ae74a3089.jpg

This costume led to my favorite moment during Norm MacDonald's run as anchor on Weekend Update: after telling a joke about DC changing Supes' costume because the old one wasn't 'gay enough,' he looked at the graphic of Superman 2: Electric Boogaloo and said, in confusion "What the Hell is that?"

• 3 months later...

Good God! That's horrific.

I'd be fine with it for some random nameless villain but I've never seen a costume so irrelevant to the character. You could draw the the Kree military outfit, Captain Marvel's costume or just update his existing suit. That one has absolutely nothing to do with any of that.