Fantastic Four reboot

Missy

Fox sets 'Fantastic' reboot

Akiva Goldsman has been set as producer

By MICHAEL FLEMING

While Disney lays down a $4 billion bet on the future of Marvel's superheroes, 20th Century Fox has already begun overhauling one of its big Marvel franchises, "Fantastic Four," to take the property beyond the two films already made.

Akiva Goldsman has been hired to oversee the reboot as producer. Michael Green, the co-exec producer of TV's "Heroes" who co-wrote "Green Lantern," will write the script for the new "Fantastic Four."

Fox wouldn't comment on its plans, but the moves are evidence that Marvel franchises do have enduring lifespans.

As "Spider-Man 4" moves toward an early 2010 production start, Columbia Pictures recently hired James Vanderbilt to write a fifth and sixth installment with the understanding that one or both of those films would give the franchise a makeover with a new director and cast (Daily Variety, Aug. 16).

The 2005 "Fantastic Four" and 2007 sequel "Rise of the Silver Surfer" were directed by Tim Story and starred Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba, Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis. Since the deals for the reboot are just getting made, it is unclear if any of them will return.

Though Marvel Entertainment owns and finances properties like "Iron Man" and "Thor," Fox controls "Fantastic Four" in perpetuity -- as long as it continues making the films. Fox has the same arrangement on Marvel Comics properties "X-Men," "Daredevil" and "Silver Surfer." Marvel is a producer and financial participant through a licensing agreement.

Though the related Silver Surfer character soared in the "Fantastic Four" sequel, that iconic personality has remained a priority project for his own film at the studio.

Fox has so far done one "X-Men" spinoff in "Wolverine." The studio is working on a sequel to that film and has scripts for "X-Men Origins: First Class," and "X-Men Origins: Magneto." Potential spinoffs for the Gambit and Deadpool characters have also been discussed.

As producer, Goldsman is involved with several DC Comics transfers, including "Jonah Hex," "The Losers" and "Teen Titans." He was also producer of the Will Smith-Charlize Theron superhero film "Hancock," for which a sequel is being developed.

Source

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing should be CGI. That costume was crap in the first two.

Did you see Corman's version?

-Skyler

Given the budget of Corman's film, it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. And everything about Chiklis owned in those movies, costume included.

I'm not sure what to think about a reboot. It shouldn't surprise me given that nothing's happened about a third film in a couple of years, and because of what's happening to the X-Men franchise at Fox's behest. But the latter has more room for range whereas Fantastic 4 are essentially the same four people, as the title would imply. And I think this would be the first overt Marvel-related reboot since 1998, so it'll be interesting to see how it's promoted/received - hopefully not with the same "requel" nonsense that accompanied The Incredible Hulk last year.

I'm fine with a reboot/requel/whatever, they can recast those roles (Ryan Reynolds for Human Torch?) and put some people who can actually pull it together in the Reed/Sue roles. If they stay away form Doom they can just go straight ahead with the new film without acknowledging or contradicting old stuff, it can just be like a new creative team is taking on an existing series.

I'm fine with a reboot/requel/whatever, they can recast those roles (Ryan Reynolds for Human Torch?) and put some people who can actually pull it together in the Reed/Sue roles. If they stay away form Doom they can just go straight ahead with the new film without acknowledging or contradicting old stuff, it can just be like a new creative team is taking on an existing series.

They need Doom; he's the best villain in the Marvel U.

They need to make this movie an actual superhero film; no more of that super-powered celebrity comedy crap.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Twentieth Century Fox Film has set a March 6, 2015 release for Chronicle director Josh Trank's Fantastic Four reboot. No other films are scheduled for that date yet.

Michael Green and Jeremy Slater wrote the script for the new film.

http://www.superhero...tic-four-reboot

It's going to be another superhero overload in 2015. FF, Justice League, Ant-Man, and Avengers 2.

Actually just thinking about it is awesome, especially for Ant Man. I know they won't and can't do it at this point but Ant-Man would be fantastic as a counterpoint to Avengers 2 in the style that the Ant Man comic was to World War Hulk. Have it emerge that when Black Widow was fighting more aliens, Ant Man was riding in her cleavage. That sort of thing.

• 2 months later...

A brave new move for the former England cricket captain. Immortalised in history for guiding his eleven men in white pads to resounding wins in the Ashes, ending the dominance of Australia after 20 fruitless years, Michael Vaughan deserves all the plaudits that his captaincy merits. That he is now producing the Fantastic Four is surely another string to his over-quivered bow!

Honestly, I'm surprised that Matthew Vaughan isn't producing, given his previous experience with Stadust/Kick Ass/X-Men: First Class. But Michael Vaughan has been chosen, and in cricketer Michael Vaughan, we trust.

A brave new move for the former England cricket captain. Immortalised in history for guiding his eleven men in white pads to resounding wins in the Ashes, ending the dominance of Australia after 20 fruitless years, Michael Vaughan deserves all the plaudits that his captaincy merits. That he is now producing the Fantastic Four is surely another string to his over-quivered bow!

Honestly, I'm surprised that Matthew Vaughan isn't producing, given his previous experience with Stadust/Kick Ass/X-Men: First Class. But Michael Vaughan has been chosen, and in cricketer Michael Vaughan, we trust.

As an Australian, I hate this post. As a forum dweller, Bra..vo...