Episode 61

RSS

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dick Grayson and Tim Drake can't both be the Robin of The Teen Titans; I think that was a line that was forced in for commercial reasons and can only be used as proof on the flimsiest of grounds.

The Robin in the Teen Titans cartoon is a young Dick Grayson. So if you accept Teen Titans as part of the DCAU, that means it has to take place before BTAS. Since Static Shock is clearly set after BTAS (and therefore Teen Titans), in my mind Batman was referring to a new generation of Titans.

After all this time, and even though I have argued many times about this and have said that TT isn't in continuity, I now believe it is. But I don't want to bring back this debate again, even though I bet someone will reply and argue back.

- Bruce Timm said he wanted to try and fit TT into continuity, but he didn't get the chance because he left after two seasons and the series was good enough that most people probably thought it didn't need a crossover with one of the DCAU cartoons. TT also had too different of an art style so a crossover would be difficult. And a crossover would be hard cause TT (if its in continuity) fits into continuity before BTAS, and by that time they had been way past that those years. The Bat-Embargo would of have also stopped that crossover because that episode would have Batman and Robin in it.

- In Superman TAS, Flash looks like a Barry Allen, he looks too old to be Wally, but that is fine, there can be a Barry in this continuity. Pre-BTAS to the beginning of Justice League is plenty of time for the Kid Flash of TT to become Flash of the Justice League. Also, they shared the same voice actor so I think they were trying to say that TT is in continuity. It also kind of seemed like Wally was younger than the others in JL and JLU.

- I am probably wrong about a few things in what I am about to say, but there is also something to discuss about Aquaman and Aqualad in the continuity debate. this may of have also been the case in the comics, but it kinda fits that Aquaman has his son in JL after Aqualad goes away with the Titans, it also seems to fit that maybe Garth became Tempest before Aquaman and his wife had their baby. I kind of believe that in the DCAU continuity, Garth became Tempest and Dick became Nightwing at sort of the same time, and that Kid Flash became Flash a year after that. I know that doesn't sound quite right, but Kid Flash has to become Flash at that time if you believe that Flash is Barry Allen in Superman TAS.

- As for the Static and TT stuff, well hasn't it been shown that Static can fuck up any continuity already? Batman was either mentioning a later Titans team or Static wanted to fuck up the DCAU even more by saying our awesome TT Robin is Tim Drake even though he isn't.

There you go, I finally agree that TT is in continuity.

Just to add more evidence to Teen Titans being in continuity, in the Teen Titans episode "Lightspeed", the Kid Flash episode, it features a Lightspeed Energy Bar, the same energy bar which Flash advertises in the Justice League episode "Eclipsed".

Wow, that is cool you found that out.

Also, from 1992 to 2006, every cartoon based on DC Comics made were part of the DCAU. So if all those series were part of the DCAU, why shouldn't TT be? It was also made during that time and by some of the same people as the rest of those cartoons.

EDIT: From 1992 to 2006, The Batman was the only DC Comics based animated series that wasn't in the DCAU.

does it really matter that much?

even if it isn't, these guys want to cover it, so let them do it, it's not like we're painting over the Mona Lisa here, we're not going to ruin anything by covering this cartoon or not

lol, sorry if it sounded harsh, I just came back from soccer and we had rain, thunders and a bad ref.

Sorry for starting it up again, but it's not like anyone is debating against mike and james. All the posts in this debate on this thread have been saying that TT is in continuity, which is what Mike and James agree with. So, for those who are arguing against un-canon TT people, well, your not posting your thoughts against anyone in this thread and there haven't been that many recent emails saying TT isn't in continuity.

Wolfman and Perez's Titans were awful. They acted just like grown adult heroes but they were technically teenagers. The cartoon actually stays true to the title.

And also, for a last say on the Titans debate, you're right about the Titans East and everything (been a while since I revisited the series), but basically I'm skeptical about anything in Static Shock being evidence of continuity, as all of the crossovers were done for ratings reasons and the show was never originally intended to be in DCAU continuity. There is no true creative collaboration between SS's production crew and Bruce Timm's production crew, and so I take a reference to the Titans as a way of appealing to the kids as opposed to a serious piece of hard evidence.

And that's the thing, I still feel that the burden of proof is on the people arguing that the show is in continuity. All of the evidence is largely debatable or conjectural and not one time has a producer or someone involved in the production of TT said anything to the effect that TT exists in continuity. I feel the people who don't care either way, but I feel to accept it as continuity is to disrupt the relatively realistic tone of the Timm-verse.

With "Hard As Nails", Mike and James noticed that Virgil's costume changes and that Batman is animated better, and I totally agree with that, but I thought that with the starting of this season they have totally changed their animation. I mean, its not really a revamp but its kind of like how JL changed after Season 1 or how Zeta Project changed after Season 1. Also, as WFP enters Season 3 i think their will be less bad episode reviewing because not only does the animation get better, but also the episodes and their writing. The only episodes that were really that good so far have been "Sons of the Fathers" and "Jimmy", but that was because they were social commentaries. So far with the post-Season 2 Static Shock with "Hard As Nails" Mike and James haven't gotten disappointed. i know they've only reviewed one episode of Season 3, 4, and 5, but there will be some more good ones down the line. If you have seen all of Static Shock then you will know as we get

DCAU crossovers

She-Bang

Gear

some awesome Ebon episodes

some new and cool bang baby villains and heroes

, and much more.