Manga Version of Mein Kampf Sells 45,000

Koete

Reading a book written by Hitler doesn't make you a Nazi. I mean, really, dude, you joke about rape in your sig, but somehow reading a book by an infamous historical figure is crossing the line.

I know I came across as horribly hypocritical their, and I will hold my hands up and say that.

I never said anyone who read it came across as a Nazi, I'm just saying my personal thoughts on it.

Anyway, your right, I just let my personal thoughts on the person as the way history has portrayed them, come across when it was meant to be about the book, not the person who wrote it.

I mean, it might be the best book ever written(I have not, nor will not ever touch that book) the man who wrote that was one of the most evil men who lived in this century, and it is just fucked up.

It's not really a very good book. He wrote it in prison after his first coup failed.

But evil though he certainly was, he was also arguably the most important man of the 20th century, and therefore his artistic works are interesting. Why do you think his paintings go for such high prices at auction, even though they're not very good? His story is incredibly fascinating as well, I mean,a homeless Austrian boy who nearly conquered Western Europe? That's incredible.

I'm not sure why sales of the manga are news, though. I mean, it did better than expectations, but not worlds better, and not enough to say that everyone in Japan is fascinated with Hitler. And if they are, so what? Most of the West is.

The logic that we shouldn't read the book because Hitler was a genocidal maniac is dodgy at best. I guess we should stop reading works by slave holders and pedophiles too.

When looking at something like this, it's also important to keep in mind that WWII marked a major turning point in Japan as a country and they're coming at it from a completely different perspective.

From what I understand, Japan doesn't go into much detail when teaching about WWII in schools. It's just "hey this war broke out and a lot of people died". They don't paint themselves in a bad light, and who knows what they think of Hitler. I'm guessing a lot has changed recently though because of the internet, but they still don't see themselves as the bad guys.

Hoo boy. There are a whole shitload of cultural issues with war guilt and WWII in general in Japanese society, enough to fill several books (which have been written).

But, long story short, the ruling party up until recently (Liberal Democratic Party, which was pretty much anything but), both through official statements and through the textbooks for schools, had a tendency to enforce what was called the Chrysanthemum Taboo (basically, you do not talk shit about the Emperor or we have our crazy right-wingers kill you), and just not talk about the war and gloss over war guilt.

And yeah, a manga of Mein Kampf is pretty... interesting, given Japan's involvement in WWII and their alliance.

Japan's involvement in WWII was that of a very young industrial nation that was terrified of not having enough. I'm not saying they were right or wrong, but they just bet on the wrong horse by backing Hitler. And if you think that the alliance between Japan and Germany was based on anything other than convenience, you're wrong. Hitler hated anyone that was Non-White, and I'm pretty damn sure Japan knew that.

First and foremost, it was an alliance of convenience and a young nation trying to compete, yes. However, given history and that there is actually a degree of racism built into the worldview (especially with the emperor cult around this time), there's no way an alliance with the Allies would've ever happened.

Trust the Japanese to translate this. Who said the Axis powers were gone?

Seriously though, reading Mein Kampf isn't an evilt hing to do. To learn from history you must understand it, and I can understand anyone wanting to get a better understanding of one of the defining figures of our century.