Episode 63

RSS

A television producer has big plans for Static ("Showtime"), Daisy falls into a coma after suffering a head wound ("Consequences"), Lil Romeo and Static make a music video together ("Romeo in the Mix"), Specs and Trapper return as costumed villains ("Trouble Squared"), Toyman wants to have sex with a teenage girl ("Toys in the Hood"), and Shebang needs help from Static and Gear to find her abducted parents ("The Parent Trap"). (And no, that line about Toyman is not a mistake or joke.) [ 1:32:17 || 42.3 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_063.mp3

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, I know you said not to try to justify the "Superman X-raying a girl's body" thing, but I think you've got it wrong.

Superman has multiple different types of "X-ray vision." One is his ability to literally see through things, but the ability that he actually uses to "scan" someone's bones usually looks at actual X-rays or other types of similar radiation. Using that type of vision, he couldn't look through the girls' clothes even if he wanted to. One of the best visual representations of those differing types of vision was actually shown in Smallville.

Normal X-ray vision:

SM_xray104.JPG

Actual X-ray vision:

Slumberws_316.jpg

You can see in the below screenshot from Static Shock that he's simultaneously using what seem to be two kinds of vision, one being normal human vision and the other being a type of vision that only looks at bones (considering that no other bodily muscles or organs that would logically be on the same visible plane are there, yet Static's bones, which are on a visual plane about a foot behind the girls', are also visible). It doesn't exactly look the same as the way Smallville portrayed it, but it still seems to be something other than the traditional "see through stuff" vision that he normally uses.

Pan05.jpg

My point is that an adult Superman should never be shown using said power to run a full-body scan on a teenage girl, because if he can see her bones who knows what else he saw getting there. Also, just because he calls it X-ray vision doesn't mean it works exactly like actual X-rays, hence the final image you posted.

My point is that an adult Superman should never be shown using said power to run a full-body scan on a teenage girl, because if he can see her bones who knows what else he saw getting there.

But that's assuming that X-ray vision works by focusing at a point in front of their bodies and moving progressively forward. Futhermore, even if it did, he'd still have to make his eyes focus in such a way that he could conveniently wrap his vision around the curves of their bodies while still seeing through their clothes. (which means that he would either have to horribly contort the shape of his his eye lenses or rapidly scan every inch of their bodies so that his brain could get a full-body image. Either way, he'd have to make a very conscious choice)

Technically, Superman could peek through someone's clothes anytime he wanted to. Anytime any human being is in front of him, he has the opportunity to mentally whip their clothes off. It's not like this instance is really any different. What's important to remember is that it's Superman. We can't just assume that he's taking a peek when he's using his powers to potentially save someone's life.

Re: Toyman being a pedophile, I can't recall any instance of that in the comics I've read. If anything he's moving in the opposite direction, with Rucka and Johns casting him as an overzealous protector of children, attacking people who hurt kids or kidnapping them because he thinks he can do a better job of raising them than their parents.

The only story where I remember him hurting a child has been retconned into being a defective robot duplicate.

Your point about Daisy's injury in "Consequences" not being due to Static showboating is correct, and logical. That said, I still think his reaction feels right. He got called on showboating by an adult, then was showing off while fighting Puff & Onyx. Even though the events leading to Daisy being hurt weren't a direct result of showboating, I think that a 15 year old would still blame himself in this situation. His reaction doesn't have to be logical, after all, and this feels like what a 15 year old would do (at least from my advanced years). Mike, I thought yu also were dead on abut Static's style being more like Spiderman in terms of joking, talking trash, etc. I didn't get the sense that this was about stopping him from being who he is so much as helping him find the right balance point.

Of course, I usually try to justify and rationalize what we see. So, for "Toys In The Hood" , I'm going to roll up my sleeves, flex my argument muscles...turn around, and run away. That is just sick and wrong.

As to "Parent Trap" you can leave a footprint in wood. Hit a 2x4 with a hammer, and it won't splinter, it will make an indentation. As to their focus on that vs. concrete...hey, "He left a footprint in wood" is nowhere near as bad as "It's a fire that burns through everything...even ice."

"It's a fire that burns through everything...even ice."

Actually, you can burn ice. (not melt, burn)

You'd need to superheat the molecules of the ice enough so that the actual components of the water would skip the melting stage and go all the way to burning. Tricky process, though. You'd also need a chemical catalyst to start a chemical breakdown of the water molecules.

I'll admit that Toys in the Hood is a very, very crappy episode and deserved the zero it got, but I can't wrap my head around Mike freaking out about Superman using his x-ray vision on Daisy and Marcy. Maybe I have to watch the episode again, but he was trying to figure out who was who, right? What's wrong with that? I dunno, do you really think Superman would pop a boner or something if he happens to see the female body with his x-ray vision? He was trying to save someone's life. I really don't see the problem with it, its not like this is The Boys or anything. Superman's not the type at all to get off on a teenage girl's body, thats like saying a male gynacologist gets off while examining a woman.

Maybe normally I wouldn't even have noticed this, but when you couple it with everything else in the episode, I take issue with it. It just adds to the "this is wrong" factor.

I disagree, actually. I can see where you're coming from, but I still think that it doesn't matter. Superman was trying to save lives; he's like a doctor in that sense. If he ends up seeing a naked girl (which I don't think he did anyway), it's completely justified.

You guys forgot to mention the line about the Teen Titans in "Romeo In The Mix". And another Superman joke in "Trouble Squared". Also you guys questioned how Static and Gear were able to get their stuff on when Gear wouldn't have any place for his skates and stuff, well actually we do see that have backpacks with them and they signal to us that their costumes are in them. They are all happy putting their super hero outfits on while the rest of the people on the bus are screaming and running away. God this episode sucks."That definitely looks like some major fauna to me." "It looks like some extra-curricular activity for Static and Gear."

One more thing, it was interesting to see how Superman was animated. They show him having blue eyes whereas before he looked like he was always squinting. Other than that i think they did a good job at animating Superman in this show. I really didn't like how he did his X-ray vision though, his eyed would light up and they used the wrong sound for it, it was just too annoying, and he looked through people's bodies way too many times.

In "Showtime" the producer calls Gear "Gizmo," and refers to him as "the green one," which James believes is a reference to Teen Titans, but I'm not so sure. (We didn't say this on the air, though.) What's the TT reference in "Romeo in the Mix"?

As for their costumes, as James said, Virgil can fit his in his bag, but Richie can't. He has a helmet, skates, and Back-Pack. Where's he storing that stuff?