Episode 63

RSS

Honestly, I don't think 51 should count in that regard. I mean, it was just the webtoons.

Agreed, but I thought I'd toss it in there.

Great episode as usual guys. at what point in WFP does Static end?

Episode 66 is the last episode in which we'll review Static, but 67 is the Zeta / Static retrospective.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In "Showtime" the producer calls Gear "Gizmo," and refers to him as "the green one," which James believes is a reference to Teen Titans, but I'm not so sure. (We didn't say this on the air, though.)

That happens in "Romeo In the Mix" not "Showtime".

Proof

Also, you guys didn't the problems with Leech. 1, with him in the episode the word "suck" is way overused. 2, He is the same as Parasite.

Though we try to catch as much as we can, things slip by.

As for "Romero in the Mix," I don't recall Robin being mentioned, and I don't think Gear being called "Gizmo" is a reference to Teen Titans. Gizmo is an easy thing to call Gear as they both start with the same letter and have to do with technology. As for him being called "the green one," to me, that's the producer having no regard for anyone but the stars he surrounds himself with. Remember how he couldn't recall his assistant's name? Same thing with Gear.

Though we try to catch as much as we can, things slip by.

As for "Romero in the Mix," I don't recall Robin being mentioned, and I don't think Gear being called "Gizmo" is a reference to Teen Titans. Gizmo is an easy thing to call Gear as they both start with the same letter and have to do with technology. As for him being called "the green one," to me, that's the producer having no regard for anyone but the stars he surrounds himself with. Remember how he couldn't recall his assistant's name? Same thing with Gear.

Though I agree with you, it is interesting that Gear and Gizmo are both kid geniuses that dress in green and have backpacks filled with super-gadgetry.

I do remember once though that when that Raast guy was talking on the phone and asking about Beast Boy and it was a clear TT reference. It was in "Romeo In The Mix", he was right the limousine and he said "yeah the green one". but I am not sure its the same "the green one" quote we have been talking about.

In regards to "Trouble Squared", you both wondered what the episode meant for Alva. Now not having seen this episode, I am just going on your recap. I take it much the in vain of Ra's in "Showdown". All Alva wanted to do was to help his son. That was his most important goal at the moment, being evil was on the back burner.

Mike, I know you said not to try to justify the "Superman X-raying a girl's body" thing, but I think you've got it wrong.

Superman has multiple different types of "X-ray vision." One is his ability to literally see through things, but the ability that he actually uses to "scan" someone's bones usually looks at actual X-rays or other types of similar radiation. Using that type of vision, he couldn't look through the girls' clothes even if he wanted to. One of the best visual representations of those differing types of vision was actually shown in Smallville.

Normal X-ray vision:

SM_xray104.JPG

Actual X-ray vision:

Slumberws_316.jpg

You can see in the below screenshot from Static Shock that he's simultaneously using what seem to be two kinds of vision, one being normal human vision and the other being a type of vision that only looks at bones (considering that no other bodily muscles or organs that would logically be on the same visible plane are there, yet Static's bones, which are on a visual plane about a foot behind the girls', are also visible). It doesn't exactly look the same as the way Smallville portrayed it, but it still seems to be something other than the traditional "see through stuff" vision that he normally uses.

Pan05.jpg

I'm not sure how much water this argument will hold, and please be kind seeing as I'm really forum shy, but would you discard a police officer on the scene for checking an underage girl for injury if the paramedics were 10 minutes away. Especially if that police officer could in theory get this girl who may need immediate care if they could get her to a hospital in 5 minutes?

Also, Superman could be checking out whoever he wants whenever he wants. At this time his mind is most likely focused on saving those in need.

Just saying.

Like I said, I'm really crazy forum paranoid, so don't think I'm defending pedophiles or what not. Just trying to protect our people in blue... even those with red capes or star spangled shields.

I'm not sure how much water this argument will hold, and please be kind seeing as I'm really forum shy, but would you discard a police officer on the scene for checking an underage girl for injury if the paramedics were 10 minutes away. Especially if that police officer could in theory get this girl who may need immediate care if they could get her to a hospital in 5 minutes?

Also, Superman could be checking out whoever he wants whenever he wants. At this time his mind is most likely focused on saving those in need.

Just saying.

Like I said, I'm really crazy forum paranoid, so don't think I'm defending pedophiles or what not. Just trying to protect our people in blue... even those with red capes or star spangled shields.

Hey, welcome to the forums!

And yeah, I agree with you. What was Superman supposed to do?

It would have gone like this:

Superman: "Hmm; I could X-ray you both and see which one of you is telling the truth, but I don't want to be accused of being a pedophile."

Daisy: "Wait, what?"

Superman: "Well, see, I might accidentally catch a very slight peek at your skin as I'm focusing my X-ray vision on your bones."

Daisy: "...So?"

Superman: "Well, you're still a minor. If you were 18 or over, then maybe, but still. It'd just be indecent."

Daisy: "But you might be able to solve this whole situation right now if you did."

Superman: "Yup."

Daisy: "So do it!"

Superman: "No! It'd just be wrong!"

Daisy: "I'm in kind of an extreme position right now!"

Superman: "That doesn't matter; I might end up being tempted to do something immoral."

Daisy: "But... you're Superman. Truth, Justice, and all that? You wouldn't actually make that choice. Besides, you could be X-raying me right now for all I know. What's the difference?"

Superman: "Well, if I actually X-ray you and then admit it, it will ruin my reputation among privacy rights groups, mothers of Asian/African girls, and DCAU podcasters."

Daisy: "I think my life is more important than that."

Superman: "HA! No way."

Actually I bet if Superman said all those things about not wanting to X-ray the girls, and Daisy said he should, then every one would know that the Daisy that was saying that stuff back was the real Daisy, because the Darci looking like Daisy wouldn't want Superman to X-ray them because she probably doesn't know that Superman won't be able to find the difference between the two.

Actually I bet if Superman said all those things about not wanting to X-ray the girls, and Daisy said he should, then every one would know that the Daisy that was saying that stuff back was the real Daisy, because the Darci looking like Daisy wouldn't want Superman to X-ray them because she probably doesn't know that Superman won't be able to find the difference between the two.

Unless Robo-Daisy/Darci knew enough about her physiology that she wouldn't freak.

But that reminds me: plot hole!

Why couldn't Superman use microscopic vision to see the nanoprobes in Darci's body?

But that reminds me: plot hole!

Why couldn't Superman use microscopic vision to see the nanoprobes in Darci's body?

Because the nanoprobes are placed in the nipples of the fake Daisy (which further explains why Toy Man is the way he is in the DCAU), and Toy Man knew Superman wouldn't look there when X-raying their bodies because he is a good boy scout. This also justifies Superman X-raying the the two girls. Its really simple. In the DCAU, when Superman uses his X-ray vision he is unable to see some parts of the body that he shouldn't be looking at because of the DCAU gods (censors), and Superman just wouldn't look at those parts anyway because he, like I said earlier, is too much of a boy scout.

BTW,

Pan05.jpg

I don't know if people have already found problems with the skeletal animation, but I have a problem with their pelvises. I believe the sacrum is usually supposed to have five holes (or whatever their called in a skeleton) on both sides ( not sure if this is just women or men), but with Virgil and the two girls, they all have less.

Gray241.png

Dude, it's a cartoon. I don't think they have a biologist on hand to describe every nook and cranny of the human skeleton on hand.

Yet it actually looked like they spent some time getting the skeleton right otherwise, but yeah your right, its probably unnecessary to point out any problems with that tiny bit of animation.

In regards to "Trouble Squared", you both wondered what the episode meant for Alva. Now not having seen this episode, I am just going on your recap. I take it much the in vain of Ra's in "Showdown". All Alva wanted to do was to help his son. That was his most important goal at the moment, being evil was on the back burner.

I don't know how much Alva really changes his character throughout the series. His priorities change, but he's pretty gray throughout- sometimes he helps, sometimes he's an antagonist, but he's always motivated by self-interest. They didn't do nearly as much as they could have with that aspect of him, but I always like gray characters - they make for more interesting stories (and, they're probably more realistic than, say, some of the old Star Wars books where the Imperials gather to toast to evil. "Yeah! Evil!")

Chris

...some of the old Star Wars books where the Imperials gather to toast to evil. "Yeah! Evil!")

I was actually just in the middle of talking about those books, actually. To which would you be referring? As far as I'm aware, even the earliest SW novels have villains who believe themselves to be good. (Thrawn, Daala, etc.)

• 1 month later...

...some of the old Star Wars books where the Imperials gather to toast to evil. "Yeah! Evil!")

I was actually just in the middle of talking about those books, actually. To which would you be referring? As far as I'm aware, even the earliest SW novels have villains who believe themselves to be good. (Thrawn, Daala, etc.)

Oh, no no no. I'm not talking about the books that started with Tim Zahn's series in the early 90s. I'm talking about books like "The Glove of Darth Vader" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Glove_of_Darth_Vader - which actually was written about the same time. I could have sworn, when I picked it up in the discount bin at Barnes & Noble for my younger brothers in the mid 90's, that it was at least 10 years old. (My brothers are 15 and 18 years younger than I, but were still too old for this POS book at 5-7).

No, I agree - I liked the way they went in the books, where most Imperials felt they were promoting order and security, with some "understandable" limitations on liberty to balance. You may not agree, but you can understand their motivation.

Chris

• 3 months later...

Out of morbid curiosity, I saw "Toys in the Hood" (with "Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker" afterwords as a sort of palette-cleanser) and the clip of Specs introducing himself is Spectral. The latter was even worse than I had thought because of the retarded way Patton Oswalt delivered the word "Spectral". It was said in a completely different tone and speed as the rest of the sentence, as though it was taken from another sound clip. Watch it again to see what I mean.

Regarding "Toys in the Hood", it makes "War World" look like a masterpiece. I noticed that WFP didn't mention is that at one point Toyman grabs on to Static during the episode, adding to the cringe-worthy creepiness.

These are just minor observations that make the episodes even worse.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Regarding "Toys in the Hood", it makes "War World" look like a masterpiece.

When comparing shows within the DCAU as far as worst episode I would agree with you. However War World is easily the worst episode within JL/JLU. At least Seasons 1-2.

In the wrap-up episode, it's going to be interesting if Toys in the Hood or The Terrible Trio comes out as the worst episode of the entire DCAU since I don't think there's anything from this point on that borders on those two.

don't forget "Hoop Squad"; and knowing the hosts they'll find something to rant about from the otherwise fantastic Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited--maybe not something zero-worthy but still bad

When comparing shows within the DCAU as far as worst episode I would agree with you. However War World is easily the worst episode within JL/JLU. At least Seasons 1-2.

I actually dislike "...In Blackest Night" and "Metamorphosis" more than "War World", but I can definitely see where you're coming from; nothing worthy of anything less than a 3 comes to mind regarding the rest of Justice League, although James apparently hates "Hearts and Minds"--can't wait to learn why. As for JLU, there are some weak ones I can think of (Hawk and Dove, Hunter's Moon, Chaos at the Earth's Core) but nothing too terrible

Guest DCAUFan1051

I actually dislike "...In Blackest Night" and "Metamorphosis" more than "War World", but I can definitely see where you're coming from; nothing worthy of anything less than a 3 comes to mind regarding the rest of Justice League, although James apparently hates "Hearts and Minds"--can't wait to learn why. As for JLU, there are some weak ones I can think of (Hawk and Dove, Hunter's Moon, Chaos at the Earth's Core) but nothing too terrible

In Blackest Night I can watch for fun, Metamorphosis however no way. And I agree with the ones you listed for JLU... I'm betting there will be more bad ones, but not so bad that they take the place of War World.