Star Trek XII (or the new II)

...wouldn't it be nice if there was a group of people, I don't know, watching every episode of every series and documenting their journey?

I tried getting that together back in 2008. The problem is that it's such a monumental undertaking (over 700 movies and hour-long episodes total) that it's very hard to coordinate. Going at a weekly schedule, it would take five years to complete. Going bi-weekly, it'd take a decade.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention having to go through many of those twice considering how much of Early Next Generation is just revamps of TOS episodes. Then there's the pain of Dr. Pulaski. Yeah, so would not be a fun experience for anyone. Well, maybe sadistic listeners.

I guess that makes me a sadist, then. I love Trek enough that I'm willing to even watch bad episodes, just because it's always nice to mentally put myself in that universe. It's a nice place to visit. And hey, bad episodes are wonderful review fodder, and really help illuminate why the good episodes are so good.

Sometimes I think I'm Dr. Pulaski's only fan.

No, you're not. I've heard many a fan say they liked her more than Beverly.

Truth be told, until Season 7 when Beverly was treated like a command officer, she was little more than a bleeding heart whose only purpose was to worry about Wesley and either flirt with Picard or rebuke him with lines like "Jean-Luc, you can't DO THAT!"

She was the voice of emotion and principle-based compassion on Picard's shoulder, but was mostly a useless character otherwise. Hell, she was more of an annoyance for the most part in those circumstances, as she usually acted as an obstacle for Picard to make decisions, rather than a source of solutions.

Pulaski, on the other hand, was almost literally McCoy as a woman. She was a doctor with a flair for old-time medicine and beliefs, which contrasted nicely against TNG's squeaky-clean progressive-for-the-sake-of-progressive attitude. But then, of course, Pulaski also has a somewhat abrasive attitude that can be divisive. I imagine that were she a real person, not everyone would like her equally, so it makes sense that fans are divided on opinion of her.

• 1 month later...

Official synopsis:

In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes "Star Trek Into Darkness."

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.

With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

I find the choice of using the word detonated interesting. Especially since they don't say specifically that a bomb detonated, and then mention a one man weapon of mass destruction.

Hardly unprecended. Wolf 359 comes to mind.

I was thinking that as well, but this implies destruction on Earth. The only comparable events would be the weather disaster in The Voyage Home or the Breen attack in DS9 Season 7. From what's been implied thus far, Into Darkness is like Wolf 359 combined with the Breen attack, doubled over again.