Star Trek XII (or the new II)

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the exact same thing, it's got the same taped saucer in profile, although it's pretty quickly clear that it's something else entirely. It's like a mix of Galaxy and Excelsior class. Actually I can see a little Ambassador and Sovereign in there too. Basically it's an amalgamation of every enterprise except the one it's facing.

stid-trailer-ships.jpg

Over on Facebook, comic book artist Pete Woods posted his theory, which I like:

Starfleet "resurrects" Kahn and puts him in charge of a black-ops ship. They use him and his crew to do their dirty work. Murder, genocide, destruction in order to hobble potential enemies of the Federation. Kahn feels guilt or manages to escape Federation control and uses his skills to punish the guilty, reveal the truth, and empower the Klingons to fight back. His gift to the Klingons is the destruction of Starfleets flagship.

I'm still not sure Cumberbatch is Khan, but the rest I can go with.

I thought the exact same thing, it's got the same taped saucer in profile, although it's pretty quickly clear that it's something else entirely. It's like a mix of Galaxy and Excelsior class. Actually I can see a little Ambassador and Sovereign in there too. Basically it's an amalgamation of every enterprise except the one it's facing.

stid-trailer-ships.jpg

Yeah don't know Star Trek ship classes but it looks like the Enterprise from the Borg movie to me

It's a Starfleet "Dreadnaught" according to reports. I kind of have problems with it being that big, mostly because that Enterprise is already over 600 meters long (longer than two aircraft carriers end-to-end, longer than any other Federation ship in the history of the franchise), so the dreadnaught is, what, the size of a city?

Hopefully they've put the Enterprise back to its proper 300 meters, though I doubt it.

In any case, it's still a jaw-dropping reveal, and I can't wait to see how everything goes. The design kinda reminds me of the Excalibur-class from Star Trek Online.

nccheader3excalibur.jpg

Whoever is doing these designs really does know their shit. The classic Star Trek Technical Manual had detailed designs of all the ships in the federation fleet. The size up from a Constitution was referred to as a Dreadnought. Interestingly this also fits with the last movie since the smaller vessels were single-nacelle in design just like the Kelvin. They're actually being faithful to materials that most people don't even know about and even Roddenberry declared non-canon by the time of TNG.

74.jpg

Yeah, that'd probably be Orci and Kurtzman calling it a Dreadnaught; they're the big canon buffs. Abrams is the one that concerns me tech-wise; he's the one who doubled the Enterprise from 300 to 600 meters (AFTER the ship had already been designed) just so they could fit more shuttles in the shuttlebay.

I looked them over

I think it largely depends on how it's pulled off. I'm the world's biggest Wrath of Khan fan and this sounds like that but lite, which should be a recipe for pissing my off. However written spoilers rarely convey what actually happens and how it's played out.