Comics you like by creators you don't

Like the title says. What are the works that you enjoy from the creators that you usually don't care for?

For instance, I like Kevin Smith's Green Arrow run, but really can't stand most of the other stuff he's done.

Some others.

Mark Millar - Superman: Red Son

Grant Morrison - Arkham Asylum

Like the title says. What the the works that you enjoy from the creators that you usually don't care for?

For instance, I like Kevin Smith's Green Arrow run, but really can't stand most of the other stuff he's done.

Some others.

Mark Millar - Superman: Red Son

Grant Morrison - Arkham Asylum

Don't Smith, Millar, and Morrison make up like half the comics industry? That must be tough.

I can only think of a couple off the top of my head. Millar gave me The Ultimates and Red Son, so I can't say that I dislike him, no matter what other random crap he's done.

Jeph Loeb - Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

Frank Miller - The Dark Knight Returns (duh)

Don't Smith, Millar, and Morrison make up like half the comics industry? That must be tough.

Not really. The majority of what I read are horror and indy. Geoff Johns is the only superhero writer I even read consistently anymore.

Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America - Iron Man

I've said it before, and it still stands true: this is the best comic book Jeph Loeb has ever written. It's touching, perfectly paced, and features some true depth. Every time I read it a tear comes to my eye. It's just sad that it took the death of his own son to write a story so heartfelt.

Brian K. Vaughan, only work by him I have liked is Batman: False Faces.

Frank Miller. I sort of half hate this guy. I liked DKR and Year One, and kind of All Star Batman & Robin. But his pencilling for DKR sucked and The Dark Knight Strikes Again wasn't that great. Besides all that, I haven't read any other stuff he's made.

Ty Templeton. Liked his (Not The) Batman Adventures, but Batman Gotham Adventures and The Batman Adventures had some great issues, but there were still many terrible ones. I haven't read Justice League Adventures, but I am guessing its the same case as The Batman Adventures and Batman Gotham Adventures.

Adam Beechen. what he did on Justice League Unlimited and Titans Go! was crap. But his run on Robin was really good.

Kevin Smith hardly makes up a substantial amount of the industry given that he's only finished like three of the story arcs he's ever started. I'll second Smith but say his Daredevil run.

Would about Cacophony? I have never read that, is it good?

It has it's moments, but don't get the hardcover. It was three issues at $3.99 and they wont $20 for it, with a crap intro by Smith. If you want to read it, find it in cheap bins or on ebay for a few dollars.

Anyway, the story is alright, but is nothing special don't go out of your way to read it, also the art is utter crap.

This is actually kind of difficult as I don't know if I've read enough of each creator to say I absolutely don't like them. And I don't really judge the creators as much as I judge the work I'm reading. I know that every creator is going to have works that I might like or dislike.

For example:

I liked Kevin Smith's run on DD but didn't like his Green Arrow run.

I liked Miller's run on DD and the two seminal Batman books but hated 300 and from what little I've read hated All Star Batman and Robin, never got into Sin City.

Brian K. Vaughn - Y the Last Man is godly and Pride of Baghdad is great but I didn't like Runaways.

Ennis - Really liked Preacher...didn't like Punisher.

Millar - I've never had a strong dislike for anything he's ever written (that I've read)...I thought 1985 was meh, I thought Superman: Red Son was okay, I liked Ultimates 1 & 2.

or you know I loved Jeph Loeb's run on Hulk but didn't like Batman: The Long Halloween and Batman: Hush

So everybody is kind of even.

Actually, not so much...

I like Kirkman's work on Walking Dead, not a huge fan of Irredeemable Ant-man or Marvel Zombies. Never really read Invincible though and that's supposed to be his big thing next to Walking Dead.

By the way I'm totally kidding about Loeb...I don't think I really liked anything he's written that I've read, including the Batman stuff (especially Hush, Long Halloween is okay).

Chuck Austen- Uncanny X-Men: She Lies With Angels. I do not care for Austen's work in the least bit. That said, I did like this one arc on Uncanny if for no other reason than Icarus would go on to be one of my favorite characters on New X-Men before the title turned into a bloodbath and his character got a little derailed.

Jeph Loeb- Hush. I love Hush. Yes, it has it's problems but it's still one of my favorite Batman stories.

I'll sign on with Ennis on Preacher. Great series, but I pretty much abhor everything else he's done for one reason or another.

I like Ennis's stuff right up to and including Preacher, but after that he goes overboard. Even what I read of his Punisher run was too much. Punisher vs wolverine vs an army of midgets? Really? He fell so far from the greatness of his Hellblazer and Preacher runs.