Episode 348

RSS

During this edition of 1st Issue Special, Des and Mike break format! Instead of discussing recently released comic books, the guys dive into their long boxes to look at six classic issues: Daredevil #82, Heartland, JLA #1, Planetary #1, The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe, and Suicide Squad #1. [ 1:43:45 || 47.7 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_348.mp3

The Boys is essentially a longer, more fleshed out version of Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe.

Yeah, it's dick-joke Ennis, but it's a fun book with some surprisingly good character moments.

If you're not careful, he might deliver a fistful of pain to your door.

And by "pain" I mean a thousand page Dan Slott Omnibus.

It doesn't exist! A book that smarmy would need glue that science has yet to create in order to keep it bound. I live again, Wilkens!

Oh but it does exist! The pages are made of unbaptized fetuses and they are bound with the tears of the innocent!

I agree with Des when it comes to Morrison. Even Morrisons most confusing stories can be figured out with a couple read through, and a bit of discussion. I mean, I think his run on Batman is an instant classic. As for JLA #1, totally reader friendly. But the art did suck.

That's the thing that always gets me with Morrison though. The people that defend him assume that the only reason that anyone could possibly dislike him is because they think he's writing on a level so far above everyone else. No one ever considers the possibility that the man is just an awful storyteller at times.

He's not writing Kafka. You shouldn't have to study and deliberate for hours before getting any sort of value out of a piece of art. A person can enjoy Watchmen without ever knowing what the Gordian Knot is.

EDIT: I needed to word that a bit better.

Edited by Guest

I don't think everything Morison writes is perfection, but I seem to be missing where writing comic books that have more to them than "Heroes and villains punch each other for 22 pages" = writing on a level so far above everyone else.

It's not, and I wasn't even implying that. I'm saying that's what a lot of Morrison fans pretend is happening whenever someone doesn't like a story of his, as if somehow there's some brilliance at work that only a certain level of comic reader can understand.

I'm fine with people liking him, but I just can't agree with those that believe he's one of the best comic writers in the world.

It's not, and I wasn't even implying that. I'm saying that's what a lot of Morrison fans pretend is happening whenever someone doesn't like a story of his, as if somehow there's some brilliance at work that only a certain level of comic reader can understand.

My mistake, I misunderstood your point. Speaking as a huge fan of Morrison's work, I hate the section of his fanbase that does hold that opinion, as they make it look like all of us are elitist asses.

I'm fine with people liking him, but I just can't agree with those that believe he's one of the best comic writers in the world.

On this point we'll have to agree to disagree.

I just can't agree with those that believe he's one of the best comic writers in the world.

People probably say that because its hard to say anyone else has that status.

Geoff Johns

Robert Kirkman

Warren Ellis

Garth Ennis

Brian Michael Bendis

Alan Moore

Neil Gaiman

James Robinson

Brian K. Vaughan

Ed Brubaker

I'm not even a huge fan of all of the above, but to say he has no competition is absurd.

On this point we'll have to agree to disagree.

Oh yeah? Well... I agree to disagree with YOU. So there.

I just can't agree with those that believe he's one of the best comic writers in the world.

People probably say that because its hard to say anyone else has that status.

Geoff Johns

Robert Kirkman

Warren Ellis

Garth Ennis

Brian Michael Bendis

Alan Moore

Neil Gaiman

James Robinson

Brian K. Vaughan

Ed Brubaker

I'm not even a huge fan of all of the above, but to say he has no competition is absurd.

I bet me, Koete, and many other people out there can list hundreds of reasons why many (don't worry I am not saying all) of those people aren't better than Grant Morrison.

EDIT: Okay maybe not hundreds of reasons. Plus some of those names should be crossed out because the discussion has slightly been focused on GM, which means the writers in this world for this discussion should only be ones that mostly stay in the boundaries of non-Marvel writing. Anyways, Marvel puts a few too many more writers on your list.

I imagine Koete and many other people out there probably wouldn't want a guy that doesn't realize Grant Morrison used to write for Marvel helping them with their argument.

Regardless, "best in the world" doesn't mean "best guy that's only done a little bit for Marvel and only writes on a Tuesday with his sandals on".

I know that Grant Morrison wrote for Marvel, but I believe most of his best work was for DC and I believe the book people were discussing a little earlier by him is a DC. Plus I'm not saying I am actually that huge of a fan of his I just believe what his fans say, and I further agree to all that whenever I read more of his stuff. I believe GM is the best in the non-Marvel world, either that or the second best at least.

Just because most of his work is from DC doesn't mean that you can only compare his writing with that of writers who have written a majority of their work at DC.

Marvel is better than DC. DC can have writers that make characters hard to do again because a series might fail. And maybe there are many characters you can further develop, its still genius that GM can revamp characters greatly and make them better, or just make great stories for them when their not even in trouble. Not a whole lot of DC writers can be that perfect, but that is how they should try to be.

In Marvel, there can be problems with characters and their series, but most of the time their names still stand out enough and they still get bought, especially if GM writes them (which he hasn't ever done a lot of stuff for Marvel).