Superman and the JSA

KnightWing

Alan Scott FTW. The original Superman of the JSA.

Okay, that actually does bother me.

If I had control over DC comics, I'd write a new DC Universe where Superman was Earth's first and original superhero (as he was in real life). No JSA, Alan Scott, or anyone pre-Superman. Batman could exist prior to Supes because he wasn't really a "Super" hero until after the Justice League was formed, but Superman logically should be Earth's original superhero.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I love the idea of the JSA, and understand why they exist before Superman, it does bother me that Superman wasn't the first superhero in the DCU.

Didn't DC create a loophole where the first superhero in the DCU, the first in the timeline, actually saw Superman in action, in the future, and that is what caused him to be a superhero?

So, technically, he was the first superhero in the DCU, just not the first hero to appear.

OK, but Superman in current superman comics isn't the original Superman, he's the Earth-1 Superman. Earth-2 Superman is the acknowledged first superhero in DC, they've explained this very well in the crises. I'm more than happy with the current version, not least because JSA: The Golden Age is a GREAT book and I can't envision Superman being a part of that era, its would run contrary to the whole spirit of the age deal that Robinson creates. Even Darwyn Cooke's The Final Frontier envisions Superman as part of the second generation of heroes, which just feels right to me. Besides, I like the idea that Bruce Wayne looked up to Alan Scott as a child. The idols of the current generation should be the human pioneers of heroism. It would feel wrong if people were out there copying Superman as the original template, like costumed heroics were some alien import, a fad that didn't come from this world.

...Darwyn Cooke's The Final Frontier envisions Superman as part of the second generation of heroes, which just feels right to me.

It feels wrong to me. He was and is the original superhero that inspired all others. Making him 2nd-gen reduces the importance of the Superman icon, and relegates him to "just another massively powerful hero" that will be replaced someday.

Besides, I like the idea that Bruce Wayne looked up to Alan Scott as a child. The idols of the current generation should be the human pioneers of heroism. It would feel wrong if people were out there copying Superman as the original template, like costumed heroics were some alien import, a fad that didn't come from this world.

But Superman was raised in the American midwest. The only reason that he chose to become a hero was because he was taught the principles of right and wrong from his Earthly parents. He might have alien physiology, but he's driven by his human heritage.

I'm not going to argue about the many great stories that involve the JSA and its members; all I'm saying is that the DCU, as a whole, would be better-served by making Superman the original hero. I actually liked the DCAU's version of the story, where most of the JSA was actually from an alternate universe that indirectly inspired the mainstream universe through comic books.

It feels wrong to me. He was and is the original superhero that inspired all others. Making him 2nd-gen reduces the importance of the Superman icon, and relegates him to "just another massively powerful hero" that will be replaced someday.

Yeah...Superman Beyond pretty much calls bullshit on that.

I'm not going to argue about the many great stories that involve the JSA and its members; all I'm saying is that the DCU, as a whole, would be better-served by making Superman the original hero. I actually liked the DCAU's version of the story, where most of the JSA was actually from an alternate universe that indirectly inspired the mainstream universe through comic books.

Isn't that what originally happened starting with flash of two worlds?

I'm sorry; I pretty much chose to forget that series after Superman tried to "plug the hole in forever."

Whether you choose to forget it or not, Superman Beyond shows how integral Superman is to the DC Universe, despite being a second generation super-hero. Not to mention Superman inspiring the Legion of Super-Heroes in the 31st century and his return in the 853rd century being an event celebrated throughout the galaxy. No matter which generation of super-heroes Superman comes from, he is the center of and inspiration for the DC Universe.

Though Grant Morrison is obsessed with the Golden Age, the argument for Supes as second generation isn't directly tied to him. It's not like he was writing all of those old stories, as much as he so desperately wishes that he did.

I'll have to disagree with you there since All Star Superman is a masterpiece.

Yep, everything's back to normal.

Yeah, a master piece of shit!

BURN.

The last dozen posts should just be taken out and into a different thread though, cause I have no clue what any of this has to do with Blackest Night.

I'd prefer a universe with Superman as the first super hero, but have Batman have his year one like a couple years before, and maybe I would allow people like the Spy Smasher exist 70 years earlier. I do like the JSA, but Superman should be the first real "super hero", or at leas the first one with super powers.