Sgt. Rock

JackFetch

Joel SIlver is looking to produce a SGT. ROCK movie to be directed by Francis Lawrence (I AM LEGEND, CONSTANTINE). Chad St. John will script the D.C. Comics based film, which is also being produced by Akiva Goldsman. There have been numerous aborted attempts...over many, many years...to bring SGT. ROCK to screen, but this one's a little different than the others by way of setting.

Until now, Rock has retained its World War II setting, with Silver and the studio trying to make a big-budget action adventure movie that was a throwback to flicks like The Dirty Dozen, which feature acts of American derring-do.

But a big budget always was an obstacle and, Inglourious Basterds notwithstanding, period war movies have not been in vogue in Hollywood for years, unless it was a more serious contemplation of the subject like Saving Private Ryan. Also, American jingoism went out of style after 9/11; even this summers G.I. Joe movie dropped the toys A Real American Hero tagline and made the action team internationally focused.

The studio hopes moving the time period to the future solves the dilemma.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43018

I had one issue when I was a kid, and it scarred me for life. It was the most violent comic I ever saw.

There is another thread about Sgt. Rock being made into a movie, but I didn't find it when I searched(found it via Google). Merge if you want, but this is a different project.