Lois & Clark The New Adventures of Superman

Guest TFG1Mike

Guest DCAUFan1051

Back home... watching the episode "Tempus Anyone?" I gotta say that the alternate dimension Lana is far worse then any Lana Lang character ever. Even the Smallville Lana is better then this one.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DCAUFan1051

Finished with Season 3... I read somewhere that S3 was L&C's highest rated season. Overall I think that there are good episodes and a few bad ones. I was starting to lose interest during the "lois loses her memory" episodes.

Question for Superman fans out there: is Lord Nor in any of the comics continuity? Or is it that they couldn't use the name Zod?

There are 3 special features on the S3 DVD set:

#1 Lois & Clark: A history of Romance

#2 The Man Of Steel Trivia Challenge Hosted by Dean Cain

#3 A Preview of Look Up In The Sky

After watching this show for the better part of 2 weeks between the 3 out of 4 seasons I'm not totally hating it. Of course there are parts where I just shake my head but overall I think it's a very good representation of the Lois & Clark relationship.

My only minor gripe would be why didn't they use a silver S logo on the black suit when he went back to new krypton? The blue one just doesn't look right I think.

Oh Yeah here's that "S" Logo in case everyone hasn't seen it. As I said before I liked them adding this to the beginning of the show:

SLogofromLC.jpg

Guest DCAUFan1051

Question for Superman fans out there: is Lord Nor in any of the comics continuity? Or is it that that they couldn't use the name Zod?

Nor was created for the show as a stand-in for Zod.

ahh thanks... that's what I figured, but wasn't sure.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Could the episode "Brutal Youth" be considered a Parasite episode? The reason why I ask is that in the episode this woman is experimenting with aging. Then they transfer power to a old man from Superman.

• 1 month later...

but L&C was before S:TAS it premiered September 12th 1993. And yes there was the Superboy series in the 80's. However I thought that this show was the next live action thing for Supes after Superman IV. Still watching Season 1 DVDs tonight and great shades of elvis David Warner played Jor-El in this show! wowzers I didn't remember that.

Oh yeah also Richard Belzer (Munch in Law & Order SVU) is a detective in this! cool!

David Warner did play the first appearance of Jor-El on the series and we all know he had later played the voice of Ra's Al Ghul on Superman: The Animated Series. Richard Beltzer also played a news reporter/detective type on The Flash TV Series, which used the same sets that L&C uses.

Watching the Series Finale this morning. Holy Crap Harry Anderson is the villain. Night Court anyone?

Then the series ends with a random baby from nowhere, unexplained. Always a great way to end a series.

As for where it Jumps the Shark, I would guess the second wedding episode which does center around a super-villain played by Delta Bruke called The Wedding Destroyer.

I enjoyed this TV series, if I may I want to do a little review on the series and why I think about it the way I do. First we have to understand The Adventures of Superboy starring Gerard Christopher(at the time)was prematurely canceled to make way for this series. At the time WB didn't want two Superman related shows on at the same time, even though Superboy was high in the ratings. James Haynes Newton(the Superboy from Season 1)auditioned for the role of Clark Kent/Superman, but due to his previous experience in the role he was denied. Dean Cain, came into the audition and won it almost automatically. I enjoyed his portrayal of the character, he did tend to be a little too goody goody, but that's okay, the series is meant to be a romantic comedy. What I liked the most about his portrayal of both characters is that he wasn't trying to imitate Christopher Reeve's version of the character. He wasn't a clumsy Clark, in fact he played the character in a way that helped to convince Lois falling in love with Clark, even over Superman.

Teri Hatcher is amazing in this series, yes, I am one of those who had a huge crush on her when the series was on air, but it was also her ability to make you forget all other Lois'. She played the role as a hard nosed, stubborn, but smart woman capable of taking care of herself. While her character did have to be saved by Superman several times, she is often able to fight back and not appear as a simple damsel in distress.

Michael Landes and Justin Whalin did a great job playing Jimmy Olsen, Whalin tends to be my favorite, but only because his youth helped to create better stories for his character. Especially the one with his father, that was an awesome episode.

Lane Smith is in my opinion the best Perry White, he is hard edged, tough boss, who can still be revered as a father figure for the main cast. Its a shame he passed away, it would have been nice for him to someday reprise the role, maybe as a voice in a future series.

Tracey Soggins isnt worth mentioning, her character of Cat was annoying and really helped to bring the first season down a bit, she's also not very attractive, she looks like a skeleton that moves. She was still great in the two Demonic Toys films.

John Shea is another actor who relly helps to make this series fun to watch, his version of Lex is exactly how it should be portrayed, he's not jokey and doesn't rely on half witted henchmen to get the job done. He's a businessman, with a hobby, it just happens to be killing Superman.

Ma and Pa Kent are a big part of the series and while a part of me wonders why they are alive, it really helps to fully understand Clark's morals, when you still have the people who raised him still alive.

The series was terrific, with a few episodes that could have just been thrown out the window, but overall it was good. The finale is a sad thing, because ABC did renew the series for a fifth season and than overnight they canceled the show. The network wouldn't even allow them to film a final episode to explain the bahy and give closure to the series. The characters outside the main cast I enjoyed, have to be Nor, Tempest, Mxy(yes I enjoyed Howie Mandell in the role). The structure of the series was good, I was one of those who enjoyed the whole Clone/Memory loss arc.

I still have to get S4 pn DVD, but I still find the series to be quite fulfilling.