The news thread

Missy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crazy maybe, he definitely likes to flex Russia's muscle. However, and not to understate it, but this attack is an incident. The worst that I see happening is that our relationship with Russia gets a bit more tense and some European countries become a bit tougher, but no war. We got through the Cold War without WWIII I think we'll get through this.

Oh, god, I'm just fucking with you. In this internet enabled age, with this global society, WWIII is all but impossible. The future of war is picking on second world countries that get too uppity.

Okay good, I just get really peeved at people who automatically jump to war as the result of every single incident. It's these people with no comcept of history that don't realize that war is the exception, not the norm.

So, Obama spent all of 38 seconds mentioning the plane being shot down, saying it "sounds like it could be a tragedy" and that the "top priority" is to determine if any Americans were on board, and then immediately went to a 16-minute, joke-filled speech about Delaware, Joe Biden, and something about how Republicans suck for not funding more airports.

:facepalm:

Hope he's ready for the international shitstorm of fury headed his way.

• 1 month later...

Joan Rivers on life support

Joan Rivers is one of those people that I didn't like when I was younger because of her mean style. One of her jokes hit too close to home and I resented her for it. Now I think she's hilarious, and smart as a whip. It looks like she might not be around much longer as she's on life support and her family has to make the very tough decision to take her off it or not. It would be nice to have her around for awhile longer, but that would be for selfish reasons. She has lived an amazing life that even she couldn't have imagined for herself.

• 2 months later...

Can someone please explain the logic of looting and vandalizing businesses at all, let alone on one's own community? You're protesting violence against someone by committing violent/destructive acts against people and their property? You're also causing people to lose their jobs. How is that supposed to help anyone, again?

Can someone please explain the logic of looting and vandalizing businesses at all, let alone on one's own community? You're protesting violence against someone by committing violent/destructive acts against people and their property? You're also causing people to lose their jobs. How is that supposed to help anyone, again?

I'm not going to defend breaking the law exactly, but there are times like these where the feelings of anger resulting from the sense of abject societal and government oppression throw away any sense of consideration for one's business, even if it's in a shared community.