Random video game thoughts

JackFetch

It's why I don't online game much. There is far too much spite out there. Even in co-op games if you're not up to the level of some people they rant. I have met a few rare exceptions that helpfully give instructions if you are newbie, which was very refreshing.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, for every asshole I've met, there's been about a dozen people that just say "good game" or "close one".

I'm in the Rec Zone of Live, so maybe that helps.

A few more.

"why buy the nu game if you just gonna play that old shit" (I think he was implying that it was unfair I wasn't using one of the new characters)

---

"Finally a Rog player. I just fought like 38 Ryus in a row." (I feel ya, brother)

---

"wtf was that" (after beating someone with Hakan, the Turkish oil wrestler)

---

"I can report you to Microsoft for lag switching" :blink: (sorry, I guess I forgot to turn my lag control off)

It costs money to keep old games going online, and there aren't enough people playing to warrant them doing it. Charging at least lets them get some of that money back. I don't see a problem. Plus, this screws Gamestop, which is a good thing. EA doesn't make any money from used game sales, and this is how they are going to change that.

This isn't just about old games, though. What about the people who buy used games a month or two after they've been released?

EA doesn't get any money from that sale, so this is how they are going to do it. It's just good business. Nobody is being forced to buy a game.

When I buy a used HP computer, no one makes me pay extra money to connect it to the internet because "I didn't give HP my money."

The fact that the game was ever sold at all should be enough. What's the difference for EA's online servers between the original buyer playing it forever or it switching hands constantly? The only thing that EA's gaining is extra money that they don't need.

Anything that's sold used inevitably hurts its original manufacturer; that shouldn't ever stop people from being able to sell their own property. Besides, used game sales only make the industry as a whole grow, which actually helps the publishers, eventually.

When I buy a used HP computer, no one makes me pay extra money to connect it to the internet because "I didn't give HP my money."

The fact that the game was ever sold at all should be enough. What's the difference for EA's online servers between the original buyer playing it forever or it switching hands constantly? The only thing that EA's gaining is extra money that they don't need.

Anything that's sold used inevitably hurts its original manufacturer; that shouldn't ever stop people from being able to sell their own property. Besides, used game sales only make the industry as a whole grow, which actually helps the publishers, eventually.

The market will correct itself. Less people will buy used games, so used games will be cheaper. You will end up paying the same amount you are now, just split between two different companies. The games belong to EA, so they can do whatever they want with them. The only power we have is the decision to buy them or not. Saying a company doesn't need more money doesn't make sense because more money means more games we get to play. My only question is how this affects renting games.

About the HP analogy: If you had to connect to HP's private network to access the internet, they would charge you or at least blast you with ads.

The people that make the games don't deserve our money, but the multi-billion dollar retail powerhouse that knocks five bucks off the price of a new game because some poor sap thought trading it in for 15 bucks was a fair deal, yeah, no problem making them richer.

What if I let a friend borrow my game? Does that mean that they need to pay extra money for that? Logically, that's exactly what should happen. And will that simply "transfer" the play rights to the new owner, so that when I get my game back, I'll have to pay more money again?

This is just opening a giant can of worms.

I'm not denying that it's a desperate cash grab, but justifying an opposing viewpoint because the publisher doesn't "need" more money is a silly argument that never sat right with me. Development teams are getting shut down and tons of talented people are left without jobs because of poor sales, which used games have a huge effect on. To deny that they have any negative effect is naive. Comparing the used game market to selling a game to a friend is even more so.

The Gamestop used game model is why games are now ten dollars more than they were only a generation ago. It's hurt the market just as much as it's helped. EA is going about this the wrong way, but they're completely justified in attempting to offset their losses.

The people that make the games don't deserve our money, but the multi-billion dollar retail powerhouse that knocks five bucks off the price of a new game because some poor sap thought trading it in for 15 bucks was a fair deal, yeah, no problem making them richer.

I think Gamestop have said that they’re going to start selling point cards beside used games, so that anyone who buys a used sports game will be able to buy the ability to unlock multiplayer. I think that’s why they’re fine with it; they’re still going to be getting a cut either way.

The guys on Giant Bomb said something about being able to play online once without the code, so that people renting or borrowing a game would still be able to play around with multiplayer for a bit.