Random video game thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite game of all time is Lucasarts' X-Wing from 1992. I'm really sad to see them go. At the same time, they've been "gone" for a long, long time now. Lucasarts used to be an absolutely incredible center of creativity, but something in the management has been horrendous over the last 15-or-so years. Not only did they make bad decision after bad decision, they basically became a servant of the Star Wars brand as it existed in film and TV. And even their Star Wars games weren't that great. Almost all of their notably good games (KOTOR, Battlefront, the Rogue Squadron series, Jedi Knight 2 and 3, etc) were done externally; the in-house development has only produced "meh" games for the most part (Republic Commando being a notable exception). Lucasarts needed a kick in the pants of some sort; hopefully Disney will find a way to integrate the parts of LA worth salvaging into Disney Interactive.

Yeah, it's confirmed that it's somehow related to Mewtwo, since it's in the new movie subtitled "Mewtwo Awakens."

I've been constantly annoyed with the last 2-3 pokémon generations specifically because they don't seem enough like the first two generations. If they're actually relating this to the original stuff then I'm all for it.

An open-world Batman game is exactly what I've always wanted, so I hope they can pull it off. Rocksteady not being involved makes this more unpredictable, but then they made some odd choices in Arkham City, so maybe a new perspective on the formula will be a good thing. At the very least, Rocksteady laid an amazing foundation to follow.

Where's the Hawkman game everyone has been clamoring for? Where else are we going to get real "hitting a guy in the head with a mace" action? For an extra 200 Microsoft points you can download a Zauriel skin!

Also, that amazing Superman Returns game, that didn't completely suck.

Edit: On a slightly related DC subject, has anyone else tried the Injustice demo yet? I found it to be, well, crap, I wasn't going to go out of my way to buy the game, but even renting it doesn't seem necessary after how bland the demo was. It felt more like MK VS DC thank MK 9, not just because these are DC characters, but just the all round boring nature of the moves.

Where the fuck is a good Superman game?

That might be why Rocksteady's not working on Batman anymore.

I played the Injustice demo and liked it a lot. The moves are pretty generic, but, hey, it works, unlike MKvDCU.

IGN has some new Arkham details.

-Black Mask is involved

-Gordon isn't yet the Commissioner; The GCPD may be hostile towards Batman.

-New developers are getting help from Rocksteady to stop

-Batwing allows limited fast-travel

-Game world double the size of Arkham City's

-More detective/crime-solving stuff

Also, that amazing Superman Returns game, that didn't completely suck.

Not being a legitimate contender for "the worst console game ever made" automatically makes Superman Returns the best Superman game ever. That by no means makes it anything other than mediocre at best. However, I would be all over a truly GOOD Superman game.

The problem is, how do you put legitimate threats in Superman's way? There are the old tricks of turning the sun red or using kryptonite, but, frankly, they're cheap.

For my money, I'd do an invasion storyline ("Apokolips...Now!") or a space adventure ("Exile"), this way he can face alien enemies that match him in power without weakening The Man of Steel.

Make it less about threats to Superman and more about threats to those around him. Make him struggle with the idea that he can't always save everyone. There are ways around it.