Random video game thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was part of my daily routine for over two years. Every week I'd see and hear him, sharing stupid jokes via live feed. GB has such a tight knit community, a lot of people feel like they've lost a family member.

That list isn't exactly accurate to the "remake" criteria (there's a difference between remaking and re-releasing), but according to the FF wiki, there are still six official Final Fantasy IV remakes, not counting localization versions like "Final Fantasy II." That may be slightly excessive.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to remake the Final Fantasy games if they're actually going to make it worth your while to upgrade. If and when they do modern remakes of VII and VIII (assuming they actually build entire 3D worlds and include cutscenes with modern production value), I'll buy them day one because that's an upgrade worth my money.

Yes. Multiple times. FFVII is a terrible game and it's become absurdly over romanticised over the years.

It's not even the best Final Fantasy game. It's not even the best PSone Final Fantasy game.

The reason they haven't done it is because doing a complete remodel of a game with that many art assets on current hardware would cost them a fortune.

I really don't think it's something they need to gauge interest on. It's their best selling game by a long margin.

They simply don't have the resources or the talent to make the game happen at this point. I mean, this was the company that took six years to make FFXIII, then made two sequels to milk all of the mileage out of those assets that they could.

How could it have taken anyone years to make XIII? I literally owned that game for an hour and a half before returning it, when I realized that if I wanted to sit in my chair and mash my "A" button repeatedly, I didn't actually need to pay $60 for that.

And they've already beaten that record. Versus XIII was in development hell so long they had to turn it into a different game.

The last great Square Enix game was Nier, and that wasn't even developed by them.

Here are my main problems with that infograph:

1) They're counting ioS and Android as different versions of the game when they're ports of the DS version.

2) The version in the Playstation rerelease is the same as the one on Chronicles.

3) Outside of Japan, FF4 wasn't included in Anthology. In Japan, there was no Chronicles for that matter.

4) Is the After Years largely reminiscent of the original? Yes but so are the vast majority of sequels and if someone took the time to create a new story, that doesn't count as a remake.

5) Are they honestly counting a Virtual Console rerelease as a remake?

6) Easy Type did get a Japanese release but that barely counts as a remake unless me cutting off your body parts counts as a remake.

So, in the end, that leaves us with maybe 2 1/2 remakes with DS and the Complete Collection the only real remakes. Has the game gotten rereleased a lot? Yes but it's a milestone in the series. It's the game where they realized they can have plots that take longer than 5 minutes to explain. For many people, this is their first exposure to the series. That said, when they put this much effort into remaking FF VI, then I'll be excited.

I'm glad that I'm not the only person that isn't fond of VII. I prefer VIII by leaps and miles.

How could it have taken anyone years to make XIII? I literally owned that game for an hour and a half before returning it, when I realized that if I wanted to sit in my chair and mash my "A" button repeatedly, I didn't actually need to pay $60 for that.

I tried playing XIII when it was released and gave up really quickly, but just a couple of weeks ago I went back to it, knowing full-well how linear and overly drawn-out it is, and I'm really really enjoying it. It adds depth to the combat system every 1-2 hours, so while it starts off literally just hitting "Attack" every few seconds with little-or-no strategy, after a while you get to a point where it's every bit as complicated as any other FF game, but with a sense of pace that most FF games lack. Once it gets going, I prefer the XIII battle system over any other FF game. Though, being entirely fair, it takes so long to get to that point that I don't begrudge people for giving up on the game before then.

Ultra Street Fighter IV was announced at EVO. 5 new characters, some new stages and modes and balance changes. They're doing the same thing they did with AE where you can either upgrade through a patch or buy a disc version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYiWKiqX1Q0

4 of the characters are literally just assets pulled from SFxT and apparently that's where the new stages are coming from too. They're keeping the 5th character a secret but they've already said it's an existing character that hasn't been in Street Fighter before, so the safe bet is Mike Hagger. So yeah.

I fell out of the competitive loop years back, so unless there are some major changes, I may not bother.

In other news, Martian Manhunter and a John Stewart GL skin were announced for Injustice.