Random video game thoughts

JackFetch

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually would say the exact opposite. A lot of the hardcore Halo fans who wanted more Halo were the ones that were disappointed. Destiny is basically a not-quite-MMORPG with emphasis on levels, damage numbers, experience points, and other stats, wrapped in a modern shooter gameplay shell. Some have said it's almost more similar to Diablo, and I think that's roughly accurate. The PVP multiplayer, though, is definitely more Halo-like because of the way it balances players equally.

The loot based element had me initially interested because I played Borderlands and Diablo obsessively, but the loot isn't as fun or interesting as either of those games.

They clearly have huge plans for the future, but right now, it's empty and repetitive. Everything about it just screams "safe".

The way my roommates have described it is a less fun Borderlands clone.

I've literally described it to people as "more fun than Borderlands."

It's funny; if you look at a lot of reviews, everyone will cite the same facts about the game and either say, "this is why Destiny is disappointing" or "this is why Destiny is so much fun."

I'm one of the people that really enjoys the basic gameplay, so I'm really happy with it overall. There are things I like less than others (loot drops need some work, the Tower is too small, etc), but I'm having lots of fun on the whole.

• 1 month later...

Let's look at 2014 in gaming so far.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 - gets cancelled and then uncancelled mysteriously, full of bugs and collision issues.

Titanfall - needed heavy patching to fix PC problems, people losing their data, Origin lockups

Alien: Isolation - various game-breaking glitches, just got a patch that's already causing more issues

Driveclub - game flat out doesn't work because of ongoing server issues, PS Plus version delayed indefinitely

The Evil Within - needed a day one patch out of the gate, still a ton of framerate/resolution issues

Destiny - server issues to this day, shipped without a story and a lot of other content speculated to be cut

NHL 15 - missing so many features that it barely resembles the series it's supposed to belong to

Mario Kart 8 - bricked some consoles, server problems forced Nintendo of all people to figure out what a patch was

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - game breaking lag and connection issues until recent patch

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - frequent crashes in the PC version

Dragon Age: Inquisition - not even out yet and they've had to do a major patch due to system crashes

Assassin's Creed: Unity - Ubisoft spent so much time making trailers they forgot to finish the game, apparently

Halo: The Master Chief Collection - literally half of the game was shipped and a 20 gig day one patch is required to play multiplayer, which doesn't work

Bayonetta 2 - great game, works beautifully... on a system no one wants or has

I don't think I necessarily agree with most of those games' issues being serious enough to put them on that list, but several of them (MCC, CoD, Assassin's Creed Unity and Rogue) are almost unforgivable.

I was playing AC: Rogue yesterday. It froze my PS3 twice in a half hour, and along my playthrough I found so many glitches it was insane. Peoples' faces turning purple, ships drifting on the ocean and clipping through one another, animation problems keeping you from doing things you were obviously meant to do.

There shouldn't be a need for a list to begin with. If the only way to make a game that works 99% of the time out of the box is to do re-releases of last generation's games, there is a major problem with game development, not even taking into account the costs involved.

One thing a lot of those games have in common is a desperation to ship as early as possible, either to give one console an advantage in the race, to match a movie's release date, or to capitalize on the relatively open market for the new consoles.

Hopefully some of that will settle down next year, both because the consoles will be a year older as well as the fact that there's been so much backlash.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little bit more uneasy. When I remember back to Kingdom Hearts 2, the only world I hated more than Atlantica was the Pirates of the Caribbean world. The differences in design just clashed so much that I could never get into it and the VAs could never sound like the actors. The advantage to what they've done so far is that they have full access to Disney's VAs and, in the cases where they couldn't get the original actor, they've been lucky that Disney has already thought that far ahead. Mark Hamil, yeah, I can see him voicing Luke. Anyone else from Star Wars or the Marvel films (because you know they'd go that route)? Probably not. Not only that, but the worlds they'd draw from almost feel too big, like they would overshadow our silly story about key-shaped blades and world hearts. That's just me though and if they can make it good, I'll gladly eat my words.

Two things. First of all, they did manage to mix live-action and Kingdom Hearts characters pretty well in the TRON: Legacy world in KH3D. Port Royal in KH2 was kind of just a badly-done world all over the place. Secondly, things are pretty different now with KH3 versus KH2 all those years ago. Nomura has talked a lot about the new lighting engine that they developed for KH3, which will change how things are shaded between the different worlds. Kind of like a more organic version of how they completely changed the visual style for the old-timey Mickey Mouse world in KH2. So when you visit a traditional Disney-animated world, it'll look one way, but when the characters visit a live-action world, the KH characters might look more like the higher-res versions of themselves from the pre-rendered cutscenes. They also changed the game engine to Unreal 4 not that long ago, and my theory about that was that Nomura finally got his wish to do a live-action Star Wars world, which would need more realistic lighting.

As convoluted as the Kingdom Hearts fiction has become...

No joke, I played every Kingdom Hearts game this year in release order, and after all that I still literally needed a flowchart to help me figure out the story. But on the plus side, now I feel like a knowledge deity of some sort. With only very, very specific knowledge.