Random video game thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COD3 in particular was a steaming pile of shit.

CoD3 wasn't even made by the same development team. The "good" Calls of Duty are 1, 2, 4, and MW2.

World at War was good. They basically took 4 and copied it for a WWII game.

Correction, then: the "great" Calls of Duty are 1, 2, 4, and MW2.

Anybody following this craziness at Infinity Ward? Activision fired the two heads of the company. Now they are suing Activision saying they owe them a shit pile of royalties, and the rest of the employees are waiting on their royalties also. The royalties from MW2 alone are more than most of the Infinity Ward employees make in a year.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/mar/08/games-controversy

I don't really give a crap. They have a while to make another COD game, since TreyArch barely has the next one. But I do hope they still release that map pack that is planned to come (please not be more flawed), or else Bad Company 2 will completely kick COD's ass.

For old Call of Duty game discussions. COD 2 will always be a classic in my heart.

Also, Halo's a piece of shit.

Yeah, the Infinity Ward stuff is pretty crazy. Lord knows how much money those guys are owed, considering how well MW2 sold. I'd love to know what the alleged insubordination was. Buuuut it’s one of those things I guess we’ll never find out. I’m curious as to where they go next.

It will come out during the lawsuits, but according to a podcast I listen to they think they were meeting with other publishers behind Activision's back.

Also, Halo's a piece of shit.

Halo is great because of the massive environments and high level of playability. Its not my favourite FPS (Half-life 2) but as far as a predominantly console-based effort its as good as I've seen. Bear in mind that when I first tried it I hated it with a passion, since I was totally anti FPS on consoles due to the dire history they had barring Goldeneye, and even then that wasn't a patch on PC equivalents. Quake II was the same year and all around a far better game, and Half life was released only a year later changing the definition of good in the genre. It took Timesplitters 2 on the PS2 to change my mind on the potential of console FPS's.

After several years of of really good luck, I got my first 360 red ring today.

It's four lights instead of the dreaded three, so it may just be a matter of needing another AV cable.

Someone told me that my first South by Southwest would be a bit like summer camp. Throngs of similarly aged barhoppers pouring from one bar to the next. That’s exactly how I found myself at a super late-night event earlier this week sponsored by music Web site PureVolume. On my way to the restroom, something caught my eye. Sony had inserted a PlayStation 3 booth in the corner of the dance floor which, apparently, was of no interest to anyone but me. Spinning quietly inside the console was Sony’s latest effort, “God of War 3.”

The final installment of the long-running series brings to a close the epic tale of Kratos, who has battled his way from the depths of Hades to the heights of Olympus to avenge the death of his family.

The first part of “God of War 3″ certainly felt epic as I scaled the back of an enormous monster, dispatching minions along the way. But as looked over my shoulder during a brief lull in the action and spied the decent crowd that had turned their back on the DJ to watch me play, it was feeling a bit like something else: a performance.

Many arcades in the U.S. have faded into nostalgia, but the atmosphere of playing videogames in front of others is still burned into my adolescent memories. Nothing felt better than having someone else watch you play. The tapping of buttons and wiggling of joysticks took on the qualities of a public ritual. For fighting games in particular, the crowd is almost important as the player and when a finishing move is completed, the collective electricity is no different than watching LeBron James storm the lane. Or at least that’s certainly how I felt.

“God of War 3″ is part of the newest class of games that are gunning for the sublime art of the spectacle. These games are big, expensive, polished, and most importantly, entertaining. They are games designed to be played under the gaze of others, in living rooms, at house parties and in basements at sleepovers. And the player feels, particularly in the presence of others, to be integral to the performance. When I completed moves with Kratos, I turned to look at spectators who were as caught up in the action as I was as a player.

I had lunch with game designer Jason Rohrer at the Game Developers Conference last week and he quipped, “Nobody on their death bed wishes that they spent more time in front of their computer.” Rohrer was poking fun at the idea that the solitary life of games was something in fact to be avoided.

But playing games in the company of others turns a solitary experience into something shared, and perhaps something worth remembering. SXSW closes this weekend, but already I’m getting itchy to finish God of War 3 at home. I’ll be sure to make sure someone’s on the couch beside me.

Source

I love the talk about flashbacks to crowds standing around arcade machines.

That kind of experience is still a huge part of the fighting game community. I've often gone to tournaments just to watch matches and bullshit with other players. I just wish I didn't have to go so far out of my way to find that kind of environment these days.

It's called the XL as a T-shirt size joke, since the only difference between it and the regular DSi is that it's bigger. It's not a "new system;" it's just another optional SKU for those who'd rather have a bigger DS.

I kinda think it's a great name. And I've never seen anyone run all the letters together like that; it's always written as "DSi XL."

screen-capture-1-2.png