Random video game thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

HA! I hadn't even thought about that, but it helps solidify my decision. Beyond that, it really boils down to a few things: I like Sony's controller better than Microsoft's, it doubles as a Blu-ray player, it has better graphics, and I like some of the downloads better.

That's an exaggeration. It's not like it's Myspace or something like that. Besides, the PS3 has ads also.

That's how the 360 dashboard (especially the new one) felt to me. 2/3 of all the options were ads.

The PS3 has a tiny little ticker bar in the upper-right hand corner. Totally unobtrusive.

That's an exaggeration. It's not like it's Myspace or something like that. Besides, the PS3 has ads also.

That's how the 360 dashboard (especially the new one) felt to me. 2/3 of all the options were ads.

The PS3 has a tiny little ticker bar in the upper-right hand corner. Totally unobtrusive.

Try playing Home where you get bombarded by ads everywhere you go.

I didn't even notice the adds on the PS3 XMB, are they for 3rd party in that ticker bar, I only ever noticed ads for PS Store stuff, which I treat more as an alert than an ad. If it ever became big 3rd party ads, I would be to the point of outrage (McDonalds, etc). It's an operating system, not a website, you can't sell ads on an operating system. Well you could if you were giving them away free, but other than that you can't, can you?

I agree with Dubs though, if you don't have a decent screen, the graphics thing is a mute point. A friend of mine is putting a PS3 on his wedding registry, but he has a crappy TV, so I told him to put a TV on it as well, haha.

I can't believe how few games are 1080 resolution, it's kinda frustrating. Although PS3 does have more native (not upscaled) 1080p games than the 360, but most of them are crap games, so it's a mute point. Not even GoW3 is 1080p. On the upside, it does give greater faith the system has a long lifespan, as the 2nd generation of games for it will be 1080p (I hope).

HD is great with certain games, but if you're looking for major differences between the 360 and PS3, there aren't a ton, and even then, it varies. Some games, like Bayonetta, actually look a lot better on the 360.

Ultimately, it's all about what games you want to play. Graphical dominance has never really played a factor in a system's quality. Just look at the tournament standings if you don't believe me.

Try playing Home

I don't. -_-

Even I'm not that much of a Sony snob.

Ultimately, it's all about what games you want to play. Graphical dominance has never really played a factor in a system's quality. Just look at the tournament standings if you don't believe me.

This is true. The PS2 was the least graphically powerful of the three during the last generation, but it completely outsold them all.

At this point I'd probably recommend the PS3 between the two, although that's based entirely off of second hand knowledge. Both have games that I'd be sad to not play at some point, but so many games come out on both that it's not a big deal either way.

I seriously don't see why someone would be so annoyed by the ads on the 360 though. I mean, it's a little silly that the 360 starts on the spotlight menu rather than your profile, but I barely notice the ads outside of that.

Totally agree that gameplay means a lot more than graphics to most people (myself included). It was more a comment on being surprised that so few games have exploited the maximum graphical features of either system. It looks like anything with a low action content is 1080p (Poker anyone??) but fast paced on screen action isn't capable of 1080p yet. But when you look at GoW3, I guess it doesn't matter that much.

It was more a comment on being surprised that so few games have exploited the maximum graphical features of either system.

Technically, they have. 1080p is 1.5 times the resolution of 720p; that cuts down the available system power by a good chunk. And unless you're running on a TV that's 40 inches or more, you won't notice the difference anyway.