Shield

Koete

hickmansnewproject.jpg

On today's episode of G4TV's Attack of the Show, Blair Butler revealed writer Jonathan Hickman's next project will be Shield, a miniseries that will reach far into the past of the Marvel Universe.

In Shield, Hickman will team with artist Dustin Weaver (Star Wars, King Kong) to chronicle how some of the greatest figures in history worked to protect the Earth from Galactus and other interstellar threats.

Marvel teased the announcement this morning: "They've been around since the dawn of time. ... how do they impact the past, present and future of the Marvel Universe?"

Hickman, whose work includes The Nightly News and Fantastic Four, says Shield "feels like the best thing I've done." The comic debuts in April 2010.

Source

• 2 months later...

After listening to his interview on Word Balloon, I think I might grab the first two issues of this one. If only because I want to see it succeed -- I want Hickman's vision to be realized -- but it needs to launch strong for that to happen. So, yeah, I'll support this in the monthly format for at least two months.

Speaking of Hickman, I gained a new respect for him in that interview. He never pulled punches when speaking about the industry, but at the same time he didn't sound cocky. Also, he admitted that the second arc of Secret Warriors ("God of Fear, God of War") wasn't executed well. That he allowed it to get lost in Dark Reign. It takes a special kind of creator to admit that he didn't put forth his best work.

• 1 month later...