Episode 118

RSS

In this episode of Dread Media, Desmond and Darryll sit down to check out the Blu-ray release of The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue, and Desmond, Megan, and our friend Shannon have a chat about The Twilight Saga: New Moon. This episode glitters, people! Tunes included: "Now He's Dead" by Hank Williams III, "Morgue Than Words" by Wednesday 13, "The Killing Moon" by Nouvelle Vague, and "Seasons in the Abyss" by Hellsongs. [ 1:23:58 || 38.6 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_118.mp3

Yes, indeed he is.

But I gotta say, this movie has stuck with me over this past week. It was pretty fuckin great. One of my favorite parts was the actual Ultra-sonic machinery that's allegedly responsible for the Zombie uprising. Up close it has a real ominous, vaguely Dr. Who appearance, yet it's grounded in a real world practicality. From a distance, say passing a field along the M6, you may be only mildly curious at what it's doing, not realizing that just over the next hill is an old church graveyard where all hell is breaking loose.

In another thread I claimed that zombies had jumped the shark but this flick harkens back to a time when zombies were still a fresh (no pun intended) source for horror.

Great episode, as usual. Thought your review of Manchester Morgue was spot on and the New Moon review was refreshing, although it doesn't make me want to rush out and see it. (If I am going to indulge in a Paranormal Romance, I'll just pick up one of the romances for my age group, thank you very much.) The only downside was this episode cost me money. After hearing that Hellsongs cover of "Seasons in the Abyss," I immediately downloaded the album from iTunes, and I really should be spending my money on Xmas presents right now! :)

Yeah, Nouvelle Vague's "Too Drunk To Fuck" is awesome. It popped up on the Planet Terror soundtrack and I just wanted to curl up with it and be its BFF. :)

My fifteen year old son's reaction to hearing Hellsongs' cover of AC/DC's Thunderstruck was hilarious. "What happened to Brian Johnson!?! Put on some AC/DC, NOW!!!" :lol:

Just got around to listening, and frankly, Des is a saint for sitting through that New Moon discussion. There's no way I could sit that long with two Twilight fans (regardless of their relationship to me) and not scream out in agony at some point.

See, I actually tried to read it. I only made it through the first book before the awful portrayal of relationships and the bad writing made me physically ill. And then I heard about the fourth book. And then I think I went into a coma for a bit.

So, I think to some degree, I think I get to criticize the phenomenon. :P

I don't think that people don't have a right to criticize. I don't. I've never read it. I know that it's not for me so I stay away from it. In fact, the idea of a vampire movie where blood isn't spilled totally boggles my mind.

It IS, however, dark fantasy and deserves coverage by the community. While I won't see it or read it, I'm happy to have discussion of it on my show. DM is, after all, the horror genre podcast and if I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and actually cover the whole genre then I can't very well pretend the Twilight Saga does not exist. Nor will I shoot it down for not reason.

Read the first two and saw the second movie.

The books are written by a lonely Mormon housewife that's admitted to have never seen a vampire movie before. They are dreadfully (ha) written. She's frequently polysyllabic purely for the fact that she thinks it makes her prose sound smarter. I can forgive the syrupy dialogue since it is a romance story at its heart, but none of the characters are likable in the least. Bella in particular is co-dependent and absurdly selfish, and due to the popularity of the books, it honestly kind of bothers me that an entire generation of girls feel they can relate to her, all the while creating unrealistic expectations of any real life men they happen to have relationships with in the future.

So yeah, I think I have a right to criticize it considering that there are better books out there in the same vein that don't get nearly the publicity or praise. Whether or not I also play video games is irrelevant.

I also don't have a problem with you covering it on the show. It's your show. Just don't expect me to cover the eventual video game tie-in.

You do havce a right to criticize it but the fans? You're judging unfairly. You don't even judge the Saw fans. You ask what makes someone like something this bad but not so with Twilight.

Anyway, pissing contest was fun like the old days. Maybe you can cover a Laurel K. Hamilton video game or something?

I didn't think I was criticizing the fans. All I said was that I don't think I could sit there for that long and listen to all of that one-sided praise.

Christ, you thought I was insulting your wife? No wonder you got defensive. Sorry if that's what you thought.

And don't get me started on Laurel K. Hamilton. I have hate in my heart for her as well.

I didn't take it as a criticism of my wife. I, as someone who has bought comics when i should have been buying food in the past, will never begrudge someone's fandom. That's all.

I don't give a shit about Twilight or Harry Potter or Hamilton in the same way I don't care about anime. But I understand and accept that there are those that like it. Including those that asked for coverage of it on the show. Ultimately, I preferred not to go and see a movie I have zero interest in seeing but I still thought it deserved coverage.

It's up to the listeners to listen or not. As a show about a genre, there's going to be discussion of stuff that many don't like. I understand that. It's proabbly the reason the show isn't more popular but I'm fine with that.

I've had equal positive and negative feedback about Twilight but never been chastized for having it on the show and I wouldn't care if I was. It is my show. My prerogative (Britney Spears blaring in the background) as well.

I think we're both projecting a little but it was nice having this feel like the old days before we agreed on anything.