The Return of Bruce Wayne!

prez

Almost three years. Captain America #25 has a cover date of April 2007, and he just came back in late 2009 / early 2010.

Alright, and we don't if Bruce is coming back to be Batman, it's called the return of Bruce Wayne, not the return of Batman, even though Morrisons original plan was for Bruce to be Batman again, causing Dick to look like a grave robbing prick, things could and probably have changed.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really doesn't feel like Dick's actually been Batman at all though. Feels like he's literally just taken over the steering wheel for a bit so Bruce could have a short nap. I don't think this run counts much more than his first go around post Knightfall, and certainly hasn't eclipsed Azreal's stint as a genuine Batman. And thats with me reading every sodding issue of Batman and Batman & Robin. Can't Morrison at least get 12 issues of Batman & Robin out before he curb-stomps the concept into oblivion?

The thing is, even though Dick hasn't been Batman long, he has been featured in many books: Batman And Robin, Batman Streets Of Gotham, Batman, Blackest Night: Batman, Arkham Reborn (he may appear with a small cameo at least, but I'm unsure, still its Gotham), Detective Comics (one issue), Gotham City Sirens (one issue), Batgirl (one issue), Vigilante (one issue. Is that Dick in it?), and probably many more I'm forgetting. Dc is publishing so many Bat-books, especially if you count out of continuity series. 4 more years of Dick thinking "I miss Bruce. Do I really have what it takes?" Blah blah blah, media bat-whore. Not that the batman Reborn comics have been bad, but the only way to get readers to still buy the comics for 3 or 4 years, with all these series for Batman, would be if Damian became Batman.

also, an ides for when Bruce comes back, make Dick the batman for the justice league and other teams and across the world operations, while Vruce stays and beats up all the annoying shoit in Gotham or the other way around. as for Tim and Damian, one of them goes to the Titans, the other stays with Bruce.

• 4 weeks later...

That would be cool if

I didn't inherently hate the idea of the role of the witchhunter being justified, let alone justified to the point that Bruce Wayne could be one. To me the role of the witchhunter is to women what the Klan are to black people. Even pre-supposing that witches in fiction can't be taken seriously because they aren't real, its still as bad as typecasting black people as lazy and inferior. Its a negative false image created from a stereotype that resulted in the persecution of women in ignorant communities.

Its a cool costume, but I'm still sickened by the association.

I'm pretty sure he's, you know, hunting actual witches.

Which as valid as saying "I'm pretty sure Hitler was hunting, y'know, actual gold-grabbing evil jews and baby stealing gypsies".

"Actual witches". As though the general acceptance of a stereotype is enough to forgive its origins. Maybe I should celebrate the Spanish Inquisition for torturing and killing all those "real heretics".

Cloaking the group murder of women in a century of folk tale and modern fiction doesn't change its origin. In the UK at the exact same time teenage girls were committed to asylums for uttering sexual expletives. Should be glorify the men who took them away and imprisoned them against their will?

There are certain contexts and backgrounds against which I'm willing to accept the notion of witches, such as Shakespeare or fairy tales. Not 19th century celebrations of persecution and ignorance.

Which as valid as saying "I'm pretty sure Hitler was hunting, y'know, actual gold-grabbing evil jews and baby stealing gypsies".

"Actual witches". As though the general acceptance of a stereotype is enough to forgive its origins. Maybe I should celebrate the Spanish Inquisition for torturing and killing all those "real heretics".

Cloaking the group murder of women in a century of folk tale and modern fiction doesn't change its origin. In the UK at the exact same time teenage girls were committed to asylums for uttering sexual expletives. Should be glorify the men who took them away and imprisoned them against their will?

My phrasing was shit, I admit. I am by no means trying to trivialize how terrible the witch hunts were. "Fictional interpretations of witches" would have been more appropriate. I just don't believe that Morrison would show Bruce participating in the witch hunts considering his character. I think Morrison is a good enough writer to point out how ignorant and damaging they were using Bruce as the means to point that out.

My phrasing was shit, I admit. I am by no means trying to trivialize how terrible the witch hunts were. "Fictional interpretations of witches" would have been more appropriate. I just don't believe that Morrison would show Bruce participating in the witch hunts considering his character. I think Morrison is a good enough writer to point out how ignorant and damaging they were using Bruce as the means to point that out.

I think you're probably right there, but you'd never know it from that cover. Even if the interior is a complex brilliant critique on persecution the cover still pits witchhunter Batman vs old crones.

As for the healthy debate, don't worry about it, I'm coming off the back of two weeks of lectures on sexism and female persecution at uni. I think I'm still heavy on the super-pro-feminism, I didn't figure you meant anything by your comments.

Ultimately it's a story about a caveman from the present battling his way back through time to come home.

Are we worried about historical accuracy?

In other news, I would adore it if Bats faced off against Matthew Hawkins, especially if he was drawn to look like Vincent Price.

Are we worried about historical accuracy?

Its not historical accuracy I'm complaining about, its just that most modern media has the good taste to depict

witchhunters

as villainous evil bastards, in the same way as its no longer commonplace to see films where the cowboys are pure good vs the Indians pure evil. Its about lending weight misleading images of history.

And the most popular piece of art of all time about witch hunts (no need for the spoiler tags) depicts the truth. Not like it's behind a veiled conspiracy or anything.

Also, the book hasn't even come out yet and story details haven't even been given out. A little early to condemn the depiction isn't it?

And the most popular piece of art of all time about witch hunts (no need for the spoiler tags) depicts the truth. Not like it's behind a veiled conspiracy or anything.

Also, the book hasn't even come out yet and story details haven't even been given out. A little early to condemn the depiction isn't it?

I'm just talking about the cover, like I said Morrison may do something really nice with it.