Episode 68

RSS

A brand new era in World's Finest Podcast is here, as James and Mike finally sit down to discuss Justice League. First up is "Secret Origins," the three-part episode that redefined these "super friends" for the modern age. And though the series is generally known for its excellence, don't expect the guys to gush from start to finish. [ 2:06:08 || 57.9 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_068.mp3

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening through and when it goes to adapting anime to live-action, there's a lot of more down to Earth stuff that could work

-BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (so awesome, so down to Earth, making it big as a rocker and falling in love, I think people could relate)

-NANA (I would die of a joyous heart attack if the CW picked up a Nana adaptation)

-Peach Girl (Teen drama, nothing crazy)

-Rumbling Hearts (Melodrama stuff)

Turtles Forever is AMAZING! I originally thought it would not be good, but it is amazing, it's a TMNT 1987/TMNT 2003 crossover, with a few awesome cameos and hidden stuff added in (no spoilers).

Guest DCAUFan1051

hey mike this won't download when I refresh my iTunes podcasts. It shows up in the store, but not in my podcasts tab. I even unsubscribed then resubbed... any idea?

Guest DCAUFan1051

hey mike this won't download when I refresh my iTunes podcasts. It shows up in the store, but not in my podcasts tab. I even unsubscribed then resubbed... any idea?

It worked for me. *shrug*

it's working now... yay! WFP and my own podcast research woohoo

Guest DCAUFan1051
The GoBots film has never been released on DVD. A number of the trademarks used (including 'Gobots', 'Cy-Kill' and 'Leader-1') were taken over by Hasbro when they purchased Tonka, the manufacturer of Gobots, in 1991. Hasbro is unlikely to approve the release of the film on DVD as it would not be in the interest of promoting their Transformers brand.

source

Transformers kills the GoBots :D

- In the Golden Age, Hippolyta, along with the rest of the Amazons, had black hair. In the Silver Age, however, Hippolyta is blonde. I think in one of the many re-boots of the DC comic universe, Hippolyta's hair is changed back to black. Since Diana is sculpted from clay, it does not matter what color her mother's hair is since Diana was not conceived in the usual fashion.

- As far as the Wonder Woman armor, they do not bring up the significance of the armor in Paradise Lost. In the beginning of the JLU series, the Hawk and Dove episode, Hephaestus the smith god, mentions that he had made that armor for Hippolyta. In The Balance, Hippolyta unlocks the true power of the armor, just before Diana and Shayera head to Tartarus to put Hades back on the throne.

- The "person on our left" line occurs in Legends, where Flash and Black Siren team up to take out Dr. Blizzard.

- Snapper Carr is a character from the Silver Age Justice League comics. He is the League junior partner, not unlike Ray Thompson from Legends. Snapper appears in the first Justice League story when the League comes together to fight Starro.

I know who Snapper is, I was simply commenting that he had the same voice actor as Richie.

And yes, Diana was formed from clay and therefore isn't genetically the daughter of Hippolyta, however they're often drawn to look like mother and daughter. So it surprised me to see a blonde Hippolyta.

I know who Snapper is, I was simply commenting that he had the same voice actor as Richie.

I was merely pointing out that Snapper goes way back in Justice League lore for those who do not know who he is in relation to the Justice League. I was not implying that you were unaware of who Snapper was.

As far as the blonde Hippolyta goes, it could be an Earth-1 thing.

I actually hate this three parter. How the Justice League gets together makes no sense. Just who the Martian chose to psychically make part of the team to fight the aliens. I wish they had just adapted The New Frontier for this. But just skip the Green Lantern stuff because they were using John Stewart. Then they could do more backstory for wonder Woman, although that would mean it would've made more sense if Superman had met Diana before.

More things I didn't like about this movie...

All the flaws/plot holes Mike and James pointed out.

Its just so stupid of a plan to me. Make Superman help end the world's nuclear weapons, than invade the Earth. Its a great thing Supes is doing, and they showed this on a kids show, which is good, but then later they show to the kids that getting rid of the nukes was a bad idea. There, Supes is a helped the bad guy who seemed really nice but is actually evil, and this shows that the world should always have nuclear weapons. And they show what happens without them, chaos and the world getting destroyed.

Question, how much time takes place between when the heroes save the day and when they form the League?

So while the world is struggling after the attack (maybe some continuing help from heroes?), Batman invites the team to talk on his giant space center thing, that he spent trillions on and set up just then. Did Superman tell Bats ahead of time that he was going to announce his idea for the League?

Why is the Martian complaining about being the last of his kind at the end of the episode? Hasn't he been alone for a while now?

Frankly, I'm shocked no one has lambasted us yet for grading "Secret Origins" a 6.

That was a well-deserved 6.

I'm surprised no one noticed the animation flubs. Half the characters are inconsistently drawn, and at one point, Wonder Woman's eye is actually halfway off the side of her head.

I noted at the end of our review that the animation in Episodes 2 and 3 was subpar at best.

I'm surprised no one noticed the animation flubs. Half the characters are inconsistently drawn, and at one point, Wonder Woman's eye is actually halfway off the side of her head.

What episode was that?

I was merely pointing out that Snapper goes way back in Justice League lore for those who do not know who he is in relation to the Justice League. I was not implying that you were unaware of who Snapper was.

Ah. Pardon, then.

I wish they had just adapted The New Frontier for this. But just skip the Green Lantern stuff because they were using John Stewart. Then they could do more backstory for wonder Woman, although that would mean it would've made more sense if Superman had met Diana before.

This cartoon predates DC: The New Frontier by several years. "Secret Origins" first aired on 17 November 2001, where as DC: The New Frontier #1 has a cover date of March 2004.

Question, how much time takes place between when the heroes save the day and when they form the League?

It has to be at least six months, if not a year. It would take a long time build that space station.

Why is the Martian complaining about being the last of his kind at the end of the episode? Hasn't he been alone for a while now?

He had other things to worry about, such as keeping those other aliens in check. Now that that's done he has time to think about being alone.

DC: The New Frontier, the comic which Justice League: The New Frontier is based on was not published until 2004. Justice League began airing in 2001. So they could not have based the cartoon on a comic that had yet to exist. What they were doing with Justice League was pulling material from over fifty years (The Silver Age began in 1956) worth of comics and adapting it (not always successfully) for a modern cartoon.

Case in point: Legends. In the Silver Age, the Justice League made a number of team ups with The Justice Society which was from the Golden Age (referred to as Earth-2. The Justice League was considered to be from Earth-1). The Justice Guild of America from Legends is basically The Justice Society sans Dr. Fate, Hawkman, and Johnny Thunder and with different names.

As far as J'onn's feelings of loneliness, if you were the last of your kind, you'd feel alone too. If you had watched your family butchered by an invading army, that would haunt you, just as it does J'onn, which makes A Knight With Shadows a good J'onn episode. He is willing to do anything to get his family and home back. The rest of the League has no idea how J'onn feels, not even Batman. Superman came to Earth as an infant making an Earth upbringing all he has ever known and he has Ma, Pa, and even Kara to be there for him. Diana may have been banished from Themysicra, but at her home still exists. Same for Hawkgirl. She maybe millions of light years away from Thanagar, but it is still there and her people still exist. Batman may have lost his parents, but he still had Alfred, then later Dick, Tim, and Barbara. Flash's family is still around. Green Lantern has the entire Green Lantern Corps to watch his back and he has the people from the old neighborhood who have shared his growing up. J'onn has no one who knows Martian culture, it's language, it's science, it's everything. He even says "Mars is dead". When J'onn's life comes to an end, there will be no Martians left and the memory of his people will be extinguished. So in my humble opinion, J'onn has the right to feel alone in the universe, because he is.

Honestly, even though I think you guys can nitpick too much on occasion I also think you're looking at JL through rose-tinted glasses, or at least season 1. Season is consistently awesome, but the first season was much lower in consistent quality. Legends, Enemy Below, Savage Time and A Knight of Shadows are the best episodes IMO. Everything else is either decent or average.

What episode was that?

Part 2, I believe. I'm not certain. It was a shot where she's alongside Batman and J'onn, I think.

On a more general note, I think that the DCAU did a pretty terrible job with WW's character. She has a rather subdued version of her Amazon warrior side, and virtually nothing of her kind & loving side. She barely has any relationships with any other leaguers besides Batman, even though logically she should be Superman's best friend, as they are in the comics. Then again, I don't think that DCAU WW is the Ambassador of Peace, so that might explain why she feels little-to-no kinship to Clark.