Episode 69

RSS

During the episode I said Ross had illustrated Wonder Woman: Peace on Earth. That's the wrong title. It was Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth. I mixed it up with the Superman book, which was called Peace on Earth.

And on top of the Batman one I mentioned in the show, there was also Shazam!: Power of Hope.

Did you guys mention how when Batman gets a hold of the piece of Kryptonite from Lex, it sort of gets smaller as he puts it in the pocket of his belt?

I said he belt was like the TARDIS: bigger on the inside.

I am sad that Kurtwood Smith is known as Red Forman and not Clarence Boddicker.

Yeah, I'm surprised I didn't say something when James called him Red.

I definitely preferred Synder's Watchmen ending as opposed to Moore's.

While I appreciate them both,

Moore's Nite Owl just rolls over in the end. When I saw Synder's in the theater, I was so glad Nite Owl didn't bitch out. Plus, Rorschach's death is much more emotionally powerful in the film.

But the book is still great of course!

i don't get why you guys said Batman's plan was to pay Ultra Humanite to annoy Lex in jail. I thought the plan was that Bats would pay him to get him out of the titanium shackle things and then Humanite would slightly help the JL in the last fight, then Humanite would receive that money from Bats and use it all to support the local broadcasting that he liked, while at the same time, annoy Lex.

I had a lot of problems with Watchmen, the movie,

the main one being Ozymandias' characterization as a simplified condescending asshole, and his position was made out to be unambiguously wrong, which I found far off from the point of the far more complex graphic novel. Also the excess slo-mo and over-the-top violence really cheapened the film; the book is such a sophisticated work that all the slo-mo shots of thigh blood spurts and elongated fight scenes and disintegrated flesh seemed too much embracing the kind of 'coolness' the book strays from in offering a gritty, realistic, deconstruction of the conventional superhero narrative; in any case it was over-indulgent. Also the destruction of New York had no emotional weight because there was no development of any of the side characters that stand for the common citizen in the book. The fact that the way the film carried out Ozy's plan made more sense doesn't make up for the far lesser emotional and thematic impact/significance. A CGI apocalypse cannot replace Gibbons' phenomenal illustrations.

I usually start listening on the way to work - it's becoming a regular event that I don't get through the e-mails before arriving at work (At 41 minutes, pulling into the lot, James is in the middle of the first episode symopsis).

I laughed out loud at the Watchmen theme; unfortunately, the blasted song is an ear worm, and got stuck in my head.

"Batman Smells" dates back at least to the 70's when I started school - I think it's one of those things that some kid thought up and it just passed down, so no one knows when it actually started. This is part of our oral tradition, my brethren (and sisteren - wait, that sounds like a well or something).

As to the JSA/Smallville (I think Daniel Carter is playing Hawkman) - this is the first live action GA GL and Stargirl, but this is not the first live Hawkman. Again, going back to the 70s - "Legends Of The Superheroes" with Adam West, Burt Ward, and Flash, GL (Jordan), Hawkman, Captain Marvel, Huntress, & Black Canary (plus guest appearances by the Atom, Retired Man, and (sigh) Ghetto Man. (I am not making this up)). I think Hawkman was played by Bill Nichols.

The one straddler in the Pre/Post Crisis divide is the 1987 Superman Show. It was sort of a mix, but was obviously heavily influenced by John Byrne's "Man Of Steel". Just came out on DVD, and I think is the only DC cartoon between the last season of "Superfriends" and BTAS. Also was Diana's first post-crisis appearance.

Oy, and that's just responding to the letters. I haven't even gotten to the meat of the episode yet. Good thing I started doing this on the forums instead of via e-mail.

Chris

Did you guys mention how when Batman gets a hold of the piece of Kryptonite from Lex, it sort of gets smaller as he puts it in the pocket of his belt?

I just grooved on the backwards continuity - that chunk gets broken in the S2 Amazo episode (Tabula Rasa), and if I remember right, in that episode we see a shard from the original piece the same shape and size as the one Old Bruce gives Terry in BB "The Call".

Chris

i don't get why you guys said Batman's plan was to pay Ultra Humanite to annoy Lex in jail. I thought the plan was that Bats would pay him to get him out of the titanium shackle things and then Humanite would slightly help the JL in the last fight, then Humanite would receive that money from Bats and use it all to support the local broadcasting that he liked, while at the same time, annoy Lex.

I agree with the main thrust - still, I had thought Batman got out of the shackles himself. Ultrahumanite turned on Lex (which sort of reminded my of the scene in STAS Prototype where Lex fries Iron Man Venom - karma dude), and was the one who made the call on Batman's line to warn the League about the bomb.

Chris