Request Thread

Dread

OK. Here's a rather exhaustive list of movies that I deem as being for couples. Meaning there is a good chance you will both enjoy them. They all entertain on an emotional and/or intellectual level. Some even on a sexual level. Like I said, movies for couples.

In no particular order:

French Lieutenant's woman

La Femme Nikita

Stealing Beauty

Enchanted April

Away We Go

Cold Comfort Farm

Off the Map

Jules et Jim

Kramer Vs. Kramer

Nine 1/2 Weeks

Out of Sight

Malena

Say Anything

Blood Simple

Body Heat

Romancing the Stone

Raising Arizona

Boogie Nights

Belle Epoque

Moonstruck

Casablanca

Run Lola Run

Amelie

Before Sunrise

Before Sunset

The Piano

Double Life of Veronique

Postman Always Rings Twice

Smoke

Australia

Lulu on the Bridge

Bitter Moon

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

8 1/2

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. Here's a rather exhaustive list of movies that I deem as being for couples. Meaning there is a good chance you will both enjoy them. They all entertain on an emotional and/or intellectual level. Some even on a sexual level. Like I said, movies for couples.

But the idea is that she presents a chick flick and I present a guy's flick.

What about Old Boy?

A general story of love and revenge, made into something horribly disturbing.

To be honest, i don't think I want to watch this movie again any time soon. The end just unravels a great film so badly it's ugly. PLus, that's one I'd never show Megan.

What about Old Boy?

A general story of love and revenge, made into something horribly disturbing.

To be honest, i don't think I want to watch this movie again any time soon. The end just unravels a great film so badly it's ugly. PLus, that's one I'd never show Megan.

Yeah, the ending is really creepy.

Ok, how about True Lies :P

But the idea is that she presents a chick flick and I present a guy's flick.

But we have theme months coming up and one or two of those might get spins. March is a themed month and April will have an April Fools theme when I'll present a chick flick and Meg will present a guy's flick.

"But the idea is that she presents a chick flick and I present a guy's flick."

Yeah, I know. These films sort of bridge that gap, though. There's nothing saying a chick flick has to be saccharine or that a guy flick has to be brainless. For instance, while both Stealing Beauty and Enchanted April would be considered chick flicks by any definition of the phrase I really, really liked both those films. Alternatively, While Crouching Tiger and La Femme Nikita are action oriented and therefore considered guy flicks, both contain elements that would entertain a female audience. I guess what I'm saying is that these are films that defy the stereotypes of chick vs. guy flicks. Granted, there are a few (Away We Go) that don't embrace that dichotomy but most do. And the sexy ones (Belle Epoche) are fun too.

Does Men With Brooms count?

All great examples. Added. Sin City's high up on the list already as is 300. Men With Brooms? I'm not sure. meg andI have already seen it. Is it a guy's film? I'm not sure, let me know what you think. Justify it and we'll throw it in rotation.

I can't. I thought it might count as a chick flick but upon reflection most of the film is told from the guys' perspective. The suggestion is retracted.

How about New Waterford Girl and The Rundown?

OK. Here's a revised list to fit more with what you're going for. I do, however, still contend that a few of these titles bridge the gap between those films dedicated to chicks and those for dicks in that both parties may wind up enjoying them for the same or for different reasons. Others, though, are firmly entrenched within their given genre. My hope is that by the end of this process you guys will conclude that there are in fact no such thing as chick flicks and guy flicks but only good and bad movies.

DICKS:

Roadhouse

Tombstone

Die Hard

The Good The Bad & The Ugly

La Femme Nikita

Leon: The Professional

Armageddon

Blade 2

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Brotherhood of the Wolf

Road Warrior