Every comic you've read in 2010

Missy

The Unwritten #1

I bought the trade because DCBS was selling it for $5, so I figured it was worth a shot. And, well, that's five bucks I'll never get back. After just the first issue I set it aside. The basic plot is that a writer based his most famous character on his son, with whom the fictional character shares a name. Over the years the son has grown up and is now a worldwide celebrity, because people are nutty for this book series. However, it then comes out that he might not really be the son of the author and he might have killed his father, so the world turns on him. Hard. But, oh wait, now they love him again because some woman makes it look like he's survived an explosion... so now the world thinks he's the messiah. Wait... what? It's so mind-numbingly stupid.

I told you it was a bit shit.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Unwritten vol 1.

Rant ahead.

The book really is a waste of fucking time, it's like something a English major would write, when they had no original ideas and just liked to say "I know a lot of information about English literature" and replace a story and anything worthwhile with this piece of trash. With pretty average art.

Also, when you have a splash page, don't fill the fucking page with what we are seeing in the page!

This was the biggest waste of my time reading a comic in a while, it is so up its own ass, and trying to be smart, that it actually had me counting the pages till I was done. All the characters were unlikable and had no redeeming quality's. And the ending, and the entire fifth issue came out of fucking nowhere and was never explained.

Oh, and the lettering was fucking terrible, why the hell was Toms name in blue!? Also, when having an entire page being an internet page, and making me read the whole fucking thing, really was annoying and took me out of the story. I'm serious, this book had atleast three pages of text in it Safari, or whatever the hell the DC equivalent of Safari is!

Really, if this is what Vertigo is offering these days, writers wanting to show how much fiction history background they know, and artists who seem to be in it for a paycheck, then I am glad I don't read much Vertigo stuff.

1/10 and the one is just for the covers, which look ok, but nothing special. So, in conclusion. Fuck Vertigo for publishing this high school fan fic half thought through shite, fuck the writer for writing such self absorbed shite, fuck the letterer for being poor, fuck the artist for a piss poor fables knock off style, fuck Bill Willingham for his shitty introduction which pretty much set the tone of this being a piece of self absorbed shite, and finally fuck me for paying £7.99 for this!

Trades: 3

HC:0

Comics: 6

GN:0

wrote two pages of story and then my google doc crashed and lost all of my writing when my wireless fucked off for some reason.

Stopped to write this as a treat to myself and then lost it too.

Showcase Jonah Hex vol 1- 8/10

Ex Machina 41-47 9/10

Comic books: 7

Trade paperbacks: 1

Graphic novels: 0

Omnibuses: 2

Star Trek The Next Generation: The Space Between #4: Light of the Day

This story had great potential, having almost equal parts creepy horror story and morality tale (hey, it's Star Trek, after all) but it falls short simply because the story is so frakking rushed.

Comics: 7

Trades: 1

Going through my trades now that they're ona shelf and not in eleventeen million boxes and just grabbing random stuff I haven't read or just haven't read in a while.

Batman: Death and the City-It's funny because I like half of this book and I just realized, I like the half not written by Paul Dini. Dini's portrayal of The Riddler I absolutely abhor, and I think Harley Quinn is a non-character. But! The Stuart Moore written 2 part "Siege" story with art by Andy Clarke is excellent except at the end when batman basically says, "Oh yeah, I'm Bruce Wayne, by the way." Royal McGraw's "Triage" is a look at the Terrible Trio that is just an excellent mystery story and I'd originally thought it was Dini getting a bit of revenge on his old treatment of the three villains but he didn't even write it. The final two-part written by Dini is acceptable but mostly for the relationship with Zatanna. Don Kramer's art (which I usually like) is uneven throughout all of the stories he draws in this trade. Overall, no more than a 6/10

Batman and the Mad Monk-Matt Wagner is the shit. That is all. While not as good as the Monster Men that came before this, it is still the perfect mixture of cartoony, grim, nasty and dark. This appears soon after Year One methinks and Gordon is an incredible character here who, I feel might be a character Wagner has a better grasp of than he does Bats. Also, every cover could be a poster and I'd have to buy them all. 9/10

Trade paperbacks: 3

I just read Batman Streets Of Gotham #1-6. I'm not going to really comment on the manhunter stories, but here goes. Originally I thoight this was just gonna be like Paul Dini's run on detective comics, but its not quite like that. i believe this series could do well, I am a big paul dini fan, but his absence for two issues hurt the series. Dustin Nguyen has done well with dini before, but not here.

I love how dini is showing a lot about how everyone is in Gotham with a new Batman. the first 4 issues of this series were the highlight of my reading. I love how he handles everyone, whether it be, Harley, Jim Gordon, Zsaz, or even Damian. Dini brings peace to all the questions and confusions of all that has gone on in the Bat-Universe. For example, Hush is put to extremely good use.

Two gripes about the first four issues, Zsaz's first appearance didn't make any sense and firefly was useless two issue filler, although I believe it may have tied in with another bat book.

After some awesome Zsazness, the fifth issue becomes disappointing as the story arc that didn't seem finished ended and we got some okay characterization for Huntress, but all it is her fighting Man-Bat for two issues, sloppy art, bad writing because of no dini. there was nothing interesting about this Man Bat story, you could guess the ending he gets the cure, and The Bats people don't kill him, the only difference for this story is that Batman has already faced this villain before so why do a crap story that is no different than a previous Man Bat story and just include Huntress? Okay I am sorry I am forgetting the fucking crazy priest, i just ignored that shit.

Overall for my whole reading, 3/10

3 Captain america Theatre of war One-shots. Awesome. each one gets a perfect score.

Trade Paperbacks: 1

Comic Books: 9

Still catching up with X-factor...

X-factor vol. 5: I heard a lot of things about how bad the series got after the Complex, and that's not a problem here in this volume, not at all. In fact, I think Peter David turns in some of his best work in this volume, specifically the first issue and the Quicksilver one-shot. I really liked this volume, David really puts the fact that the loss of team members, the team falling apart, and the losing of a sense of purpose as a low point in the teams history, plus they have to deal with Arcade, who represents hate just for the sake of it, it's a big cherry on top of everything, really. Excellent volume.

X-factor: Layla Miller: Really great issue that puts a bit of a conclusion on Layla storyline. Some things are outlandish, yet we accept them because it's Layla Miller and she knows stuff. It's great to see Miller having an emotional moment/breakdown in this issue because generally we recognize her as the stone-faced individual. Excellent issue and I hope she comes back eventually but her departure is well worth it for the stories it brought in the main book during the Only Game in Town arc.

Comic Books: 1

TPBS: 3

X-factor vol. 4, X-men: Messiah Complex, X-factor vol. 5, X-factor: Layla Miller

Batman: Vampire-Good God. Man I wish that I had left this alone and kept the good (false, implanted?) memories I have of it as a kid. The book starts out with Batman versus vampires and as the years pass (through different GNs) it becomes Batman the vampire. It sucks. I love Kelley Jones as much as the next guy but he draws characters one time. That's it. If they aren't wearing a cape and cowl that is. Alfred is one one page two times and the top image is the skinny black haired guy and on the bottom he's about 75 pounds heavier and white haird. But it is him. Also, Commissioner Gordon is missing his moustache at least three times. Fucking awful. The ONLY saving grace is how badass Batman looks in the last book. Scary and creepy. But other than that? Bupkuss. 1/10

Trade paperbacks: 4

X-factor vol. 6: Secret Invasion - Ah, now I see, this is where things turn to shit. I think almost everything tied into the secret invasion was really bad (except for Nick Fury gathering the Secret Warriors in the Mighty Avengers book, I really liked that), X-factor was no different. Here we get a three issue crossover with She-Hulk about the aforementioned Secret Invasion. The plot is basically a case of mistaken identity, and mistaken motivations. It's no fun and hardly memorable. The second half is a little bit better with David picking back up on old threads and basically taking a very sub-par story and making it work. One of the issues is that the story is based around a new character, Darwin, who we have absolutely no attachment to and given no reason to care about, David goes out of his way to develop that character in this story, but it still a hard sell that we're really not invested in. Meanwhile the story of Siryn's pregnancy, Rictor dealing with more loss, and Madrox dealing with the new status quo is what we're really interested in, and David sprinkles enough of that to make it worth a read. David also introduces another new character to the team Longshot, and he's mainly here for comedic effect, again not really worth the replacement but a better acquisition than Darwin I believe. Probably the main thing getting in the way is the absolutely terrible art from Larry Stroman plaguing this book, everything looks ugly, action scenes are hard to keep up with and nonsensical, characters don't look like they should, body frames are always changing, it's just UGLY and really dampens this book. He's gone after this volume, but seriously the damage may have already been done.

X-factor vol. 7: Time and a Half - This volume redeems the book somewhat, Peter David's plotting and writing is back to form and the earlier issues in this volume are absolutely great work, the book drags a bit as it goes along but the first three issues are totally worth it. If you've been following the X-factor story, Peter David is really hitting the notes of his meta story in this book. Like I said the latter half of this volume isn't as good as the first half, but the first half really is worth it and the latter half starts a new saga for Peter David's team. I really like this volume...sure it's not as good overall as the earlier volumes, but the best work in this volume matches the best work in those volumes. Also we get an artist that's serviceable again to the story. I'm definitely going to give this a re-read in a week or so.

Comic Books: 1

TPBS: 5

X-factor vol. 4, X-men: Messiah Complex, X-factor vol. 5-7, X-factor: Layla Miller

Arkham Reborn #1-3 (of 3) and Charles Burns's Black Hole. Great googly-moogly, I picked the wrong reading for a rainy day. I need some sunlight, pronto. Sheesh. Black Hole is simply awesome, while Arkham Reborn is a slick and smart homage to the stories of Edgar Allan Poe. Great stuff, but man did their one-two punch depress the hell out of me.

Comic Books: 10

Trades: 1

Graphic Novels: 1

I filled out a couple of holes in my collection in addition to this week's pulls.

Secret Six #8: I think I've stated already that I love Gail Simone. She continues earning this love by sending half the team on a double date (Scandal takes the stripper from issue one.) The character interaction is just awesome but then we get to the Tiny Titans-esque dream sequence featuring Ragdoll at the end. That is what takes the cake.

X-Factor #47: When I was catching up on this book, this was the one issue I couldn't find anywhere. Now that I did, I just realize it's there to keep the story going, move it along, and start on the last two parts of the arc. Nothing really happens and I think I could have went without it.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer #31: A transition issue. The last story arc gets wrapped up, we get a little bit of exposition, and Buffy now has super-powers that will be explained in the next arc. It really feels like there was some padding going on here, like this all could have happened last issue and next issue. Oh well.

Secret Six #17: Continuing from Suicide Squad last week, the shit hits the fan some more. We finally get some Black Lanterns for more than a page and Scandal fights off an army of Multiplexes. I almost wish that Simone and Ostrander would work together on a Suicide Squad ongoing. The downside, the cover really has nothing to do with the issue. Yes, Catman fights Bronze Tiger but that's a real tiger on the cover.

The Power of Shazam #48: I don't really know what to think. Black Lantern Osiris fight Black Lantern Sobek. That's about it. Apparently having the powers of Black Adam allowed Osiris to keep his mind. Mary and Billy Bastion appear for a couple of pages but just give exposition. The art is also kinda... yeah, the faces are all a little dead. Everyone has about one expression and that's it. Thankfully, it keeps with Osiris and a giant undead crocodile for most of the action so you don't notice as much.

Angel #29: Why am I still getting this book? Think I'll drop it next month, wait for the trade.

Booster Gold #28: This week, Booster has to save Hank Henshaw (Cyborg Superman) from another time traveler. In the process, the guy is called worse than Hitler. Right... Anyway, the main plot also involves Booster's sister living in Coast City after the death of Superman and not quite remembering what bad thing is about to happen. I liked the main story though there were a couple of anvils during the Booster Gold section. The Blue Beetle Back-up though is mainly exposition to get the rest of the story going.

Catwoman #83: Catwoman vs. Black Mask. I liked the bits that related back to Ed Brubaker's run on Catwoman, especially between Selina and her sister. However, parts also felt more like it was just setting up a later story and the Harley and Ivy parts seemed kinda stupid and out of character.

Comic Books: 16 (10 DC, 3 Marvel, 2 IDW, 1 Dark Horse)

TPBs: 0

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 0

Authority: Relentless (Warren Ellis) Issues 1-8. I read the Authority early last year and I didn't think too much of it, yet I still saw hype everywhere about how it is one of Ellis' best work if not his best. I figured I'd give it another shot, I picked up the trade super cheap, and it still wasn't worth it. Same thoughts as last time, it's fun, but hardly good. The action is large and the characters are almost non-existent (sounds like almost all of the big summer blockbusters of 2009). It's not deep, at least not now, maybe in 1999 this was fantastic and super influential, but when you've read these big widescreen action super hero stories and done better (Millar's Ultimates comes to mind) it doesn't quite hold up. Interesting concept that isn't taken as far as it could. I don't know, just somethings were missing, one of them was definitely character development.

American Virgin vol. 1 (Issues 1-4): I picked up the first three trades for under $10, so that's cool. The book deals with a lot of themes about morality, unfortunately there are no likable characters, in fact, the characters can be downright unlikable at times. It's still got a good plot that could go somewhere, and the characters could always grow on me, it's just character wise, I don't really like anybody in this book.

After reading his two issues on Streets Of Gotham and Red Robin #6, I started to think that Chris Yost should stop writing bat-books, but I totally regretted thinking that after reading Red Robin #8. Damn, I love Tam.

I also read the first two issues of Tony Daniel's recent run on BATMAN, I really like it, much better than Judd Winick's shit, in fact it makes that run look even worse.

Trade Paperbacks: 1

Comic Books: 13

Alias Vol 1 - This is the fifth Brian Michael Bendis book I've ever read, and the first I've truly enjoyed. Jessica's a great character and the excerpts from Rick's book were entertaining enough to keep the second mystery interesting even though I knew the outcome. Thanks for the head's up about this one Mike and Dan. 7/10

Astro City: Confession - A worm's eye view of Fantastic Four #2. With Batman. Pretty darn good. 7/10

Astro City: Local Heroes - Various short stories. This probably read better as individual issues but still holds together. The two parter about the lawyer and the small town story were particular stand outs. 7/10

Astro City: Tarnished Angel - Easily the best of the three. 9/10

Gargoyles: Bad Guys - Walt Disney's Suicide Squad. The art's got a nice animated look to it. Despite being black and white the book looks like it could be made of stills from the Gargoyles cartoon. The story itself is darker in tone, which isn't a bad thing. A few of the overtly super villain elements felt out of place in the Gargverse but Shakespeare buffs should get a giggle out of the main antagonists. 8/10

Leave it to Chance Vol 2: Trick or Threat - Picked this up on sale and I'm glad I did. It retains the charm of volume one and improves on it by adding a few friends Chance's age. Unfortunately it's four issues in a hardcover for twenty bucks Canadian. Despite it's quality I'd feel ripped off if I spent full price 7/10

The Wizard's Tale - A beautiful book. The concept is great but the plot becomes predictable a few pages in. Busiek's characterization and David Wenzel's painted art elevate it above the plot. 7/10

Green Lantern #49 - Hey John Stewart! Nice to see ya buddy, feels like you haven't been around for months! 6.5/10

Blackest Night #6 - "I welcome myself to the Green Lantern Corps." Love that. 8/10

R.E.B.E.L.S. #12 - Mostly set-up for the conclusion of the Starro arc. Looking forward to seeing the consequences of Dox's deal with Kanjar Ro and Despero. Getting sick of the Omega Men though. Unless they're going to join the team at the end of this arc I really don't see the point of using them when there are so many classic L.E.G.I.O.N.aires going unused. 7.5/10

Blackest Night: Wonder Woman #1 - Just when you thought Greg Rucka couldn't make Max Lord look like more of a douche, he goes and trashes Arlington National Cemetery. Nice to have a BN tie in that's done in one though. 7/10

Booster Gold #28 - The lead story is alright but the back up's got me pumped. Sturges is finally starting to pay off the reboot plot line he set up at the end of BB's book. 8/10

Comic Books: 5

TPBs: 2

HCs: 5