The Convention Thread

dc20willsave

Been looking at flights for NYCC. Can get a Weds morning flight to and Tuesday afternoon flight back from NYC from the Madison airport for $93 each way, and with taxes, comes out to $229ish. Weekend pass for NYCC is $65. I would have a friend I could crash with, and could probably bus/train to the convention center for a reasonable amount, spend some time after the con is done exploring the city. It's definitely looking like this is doable.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also, totes hitting up NYCC for sure now.

So, in random internet-surfing impulses, I've found two food trucks in Chicago that we may need to track down at some point next year. The Southern Mac and Cheese truck and the Gaztro-Wagon. Cause, seriously. Look at those menus.

Also, Will found a good Asian place that does stuff besides sushi for those of you weird folks what don't like fish. :PMa and I

And of course, Giordano's and The Yolk is already on the menu. :P

Also, not sure if this is close to us, but this may be worth it for dinner one night:

Morso

All dishes are below $25.

As usual, I had a blast at Baltimore Comic-Con. The highlight was finally getting to meet my friend Leroy in person, which I consider a prelude to meeting this forum at C2E2 next year.

Creators I Talked To:

Mike Imboden

Dave Wachter

Francesco Francavilla

J.M. DeMatteis

Mark Waid

Nick Spencer

Ron Frenz

Mike is a local creator and wrote a fun throwback to 60s/70s Marvel Comics called Fist of Justice. I've been following Dave Wachter's work for years, which is a wonderful kind of ink wash, and he recently illustrated IDW's adaptation of That Hellbound Train. I stopped by Francavilla's table just to tell him how much I love his work and we chatted about the upcoming return of Doctor Who. Spider-Man's my favorite superhero so it was great to have the opportunity to thank Frenz and DeMatteis for their contributions to the character. When I met Mark Waid for the first time a few years ago, I was too starstruck to say much coherent. This time I was able to thank him for the run that made me care about the Fantastic Four. Nick Spencer was very laid back and personable, and it was great talking with him about Jimmy Olsen and The Infinite Vacation.

What I Bought:

Action Comics #s 890, 892, 894, 898-899, and 901-903

Captain America & Bucky #620

Captain Britain and MI13 #s 5-7, 9, 12-14, and Annual #1

Batman and Robin #s 17 and 26

DC Comics Presents Batman: Dark Knight, Dark City

DC Comics Presents Batman: Gotham Noir

DC Comics Presents Green Lantern: Willworld

Journey Into Mystery #626

Black Widow: Deadly Origin HC

Tales of the Batman - Gene Colan Vol. 1 HC

Batman: Knight and Squire TPB

Captain Britain and MI13 Vol. 1 Secret Invasion TPB

Doctor 13: Architecture and Morality TPB

Fantastic Four: True Story TPB

Mercury & The Murd Vol. 2 TPB

The Puma Blues Book Two: Sense of Doubt TPB

As you can probably tell, I took advantage of the dollar bins and half-off trades to build up my Paul Cornell library.

So I had some great conversations with creators and picked up a ton of books; what could make the day even better?

Meeting.

Stan.

Lee.

Actually no, I did not get to meet Stan Lee. But that disappointment washed away when I found out that Frank Quitely, my favorite artist in modern comics, is scheduled for next year's convention. So yeah, I'm already counting down the days.

Okay, doing some preemptive research, and I love you guys and all, but there's no way I'm staying at the Grant Park Best Western again. Not when three hotels in the area will accept a Wal-Mart associate discount and save me big buckage. I'm thinking the Travelodge down the block will be getting my patronage.

I've never stayed in that Travelodge, but, taking a shortcut to work, I've walked through the lobby literally hundreds of times. And it's not a great place. It often smells of mold (RE: water damage). Again, I cannot speak about the rooms, so they might be really nice.

I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Honestly Preston, go with what you're going to go with. I will probably go with the Best Western since it's a proven factor and it's cheaper for the non-WalMart employees. There's nothing saying everyone has to stay in the same hotel, just makes it easier for the nights when everyone is smashed and doesn't feel like walking a block away.

I've been looking at the North Building of McCormick Place this morning and I got to say, it looks like it's going to be less claustrophobic than the West Building last year. Well, depending on how much of the space they're using. That was my big complaint about last year, that I had times I felt crushed between people after a rather comfy amount of space the previous year.

• 5 weeks later...