• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New York City Comiccon, run by ReedPOP who also do C2E2, was hijaking people's Twitter accounts this past weekend when people agreed to link their badge to their Twitter account. They've apologized since but this kinda makes me nervous. Not nervous enough to pull out of Chicago but if this kinda bullshit happens at C2E2 this year, I'm probably going to be encouraging people to try a different con.

Hey if you're going to dress like a steam punk adventurer then you were asking for it. Said a bunch of dicks. Its comic con, not Daytona beach for gods sake.

Things seem to be improving somewhat as people become more vocal, but the idea that it's okay to behave badly to cosplayers (and female attendees and guests in general) has to go away. Today. The story of the fourteen-year-old who was kissed against her will and looked for her mom was heartbreaking.

NYCC seems to be attempting to be a new SDCC for the EC. For the most part, it and C2E2 seem completely different.

The size and scale of SDCC indicates that another big con is sustainable, and New York is the obvious place to do it. The worries I have is that ReedPop has similar complaints in regards to PAX as well, especially PAX East. I don't doubt that Fensterman takes these issues seriously, but they have to step up their game significantly.

I don't want to sound like I'm picking on ReedPop specifically; I'm not. What bothers me is the very small but very vocal breed of assholes who are incensed that our awesome thing is being acknowledged as an awesome thing by "outsiders" and now our club has a lot of new members (especially the explosion of cosplayers in the past few years), and they're going to combat this by being even more brutally, spectacularly ignorant and offensive. "You can't tell ME not to objectify women!"

Cons are coming around to the idea that this is a problem that needs to be dealt with, and it needs to happen a little faster.

Last year at Arisia, Wendee and I noticed a couple of guys standing at the foot of an escalator taking upskirt videos of women coming down. We confronted them and they were legitimately confused about how this was not okay. To the con's credit, their badges were taken away and they were bounced on the spot, but it only takes one creeper to mar a con's reputation for years.

Cons, especially smaller cons, are coming back to a place where kids are being dropped off by mom and dad to enjoy the show for a day. There are a ton more teenagers at shows now than there used to be, and that's awesome. But that makes it all the more important to ensure that attendees are safe.

I'm avoiding cons as a rule now and I'm not even sure I'm going to C2E2 during the next Chicago trip because I generally don't think they're a healthy social environment for me to be in.

That said, I would commit violent acts towards any man that even gave a hint of doing any of that creeper shit within my view. That's not an internet tough guy threat. I would be physically unable to control myself.