• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Emerald City Comic Con is being sued for not paying its volunteers.

(That's not as obviously stupid as it immediately sounds. For-profit cons, such as those owned by Reed Pop, routinely make volunteers work like employees for a full shift and pay them in a T-shirt and the question of whether labor laws are being violated has been getting vigorously debated of late. This was going to happen sooner or later.)

The volunteer I talked to about it was getting paid, but I don't know if that applied to all volunteers. The suit is also specifically naming 14 and 15 apparently, and 15 was when it was still mostly Jim running it, and not ReedPop. 

Also, re: fan verification: ...I'm not sure how I feel about this? Like, ostensibly this is going to stop scalpers, but if you're trying to gatekeep, that seems slightly shitty? Also they kinda suck at tech implementation. 

Edited by Venneh

Is there a big issue with scalpers/resellers?  I have only purchased sports tickets secondhand and no one really cares. (Well, unless you wear the wrong shirt in certain seats.  But that was stupid nonsense.)

• 4 months later...

The Hollywood Reporter goes over the obscene amount of money A-list stars earn at media conventions.

I'm seeing quite a bit of genuine anger at this story, and I honestly don't get it. Of course major stars are getting a huge paycheck to be at these shows. Not long ago the biggest name you would see at these things was Gil Gerard and he REALLY needed you to buy an autograph so he could make rent this month; now all of a sudden Chris Hemsworth decided to pop by Salt Lake Comic Con to spend his weekend signing things and getting his picture taken with strangers. He's not doing that because it sounds really fun.

If it helps keep the cost down, you can do Megabus from Pittsburgh to State College, PA and from State College to Chicago. If you buy it early enough, it's like 5-10 bucks. Depending on how good of a rate we get on the hotel, 100 to 150 depending on how many nights you stay. Food, if you're smart, you can do that for 50-100. If you're doing the con, the three day pass is 70 though you can easily just do Saturday which is 35. Alternatively, if Ian is there, I'm sure he'll be visiting museums instead. Or you can do what James did and chill in the Hotel Room, presumably without the crippling back pain.

I will start looking at hotels when they release the official hotel discounts. That way, anyone making the trip can make an informed decision. I will do my best to go myself since it's not the week I get back from Florida this year, giving me time to financially recover this time.

If we were to do a ballgame next year, options are limited. Unless everyone gets in early Wednesday, The Cubs are away the rest of that weekend. The White Sox are playing The Indians at 7:00PM Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

To expound, the weekend before C2E2 is Easter weekend so every Brit has the Friday/Monday off, meaning I'd only be taking 4 days off for C2E2 week as opposed to 5 days. Likelihood is that I'd need Monday/Tuesday to complete HAA editing duties, but if there are midweek highlights (be it baseball, or more interstingly, ice hockey) then Wednesday is potentially doable. As Will surmised, I may go to a day of the convention, but I'm more interested in the museum aspect.

Accomodation-wise, I'm tempted to go down the hostelling route if I can't get a hotel room-mate (be it UK or otherwise) because it worked out really well when I was in Boston. But I'm negotiable depending on other people's plans.

So if I'm reading the thread correctly, the potential gathering so far is Mike, Will, Hannah, Kellen, Donovan and myself. Sounds good to me!

Taking a quick look at the hockey schedule, it looks like that's around when playoffs would begin. Kellen can probably say more

As for hosteling vs hoteling, you can usually fit four to 5 people in most of the hotel rooms I've been in before it comes to to run screaming. As of right now, I don't think I have anyone coming with me this year so I'll definitely be looking for roomies. It's probably a couple of months before anyone will need to book a hotel so it's time to get people locked in.