E2 Writer's Workshop

Dread

Here's a concern of mine:

Genre writing.

I get it. This is a geek culture site. I am in the minority in that I don't work on horror/fantasy/hard boiled/pulp/whathaveyou. I have nothing against it personally, but I don't write it, and all of my editorial and teaching experience (as well as 90% of my reading experience, if I'm being honest) is with "mainstream," "literary" fiction.

So, I guess something I'd be interested in knowing from go (as I'm sure others would be, too) is what genre we'd all be working in most often. Not necessarily exclusively.

well yeah but the thing with a writer's group (especially one with a lot of genre people) is that it can get caught up in the "coolness" of genre whereas you'd be able to say, yeah the werewolf rape is cool but i don't really know why i should care for the victim.

Also, though i'm not overly confident in my writing, I find myself to be often too harsh. If I say, does it lag in the middle and a bunch of people honestly tell me "no" then it might be more likely that I'm being hard on myself.

well yeah but the thing with a writer's group (especially one with a lot of genre people) is that it can get caught up in the "coolness" of genre whereas you'd be able to say, yeah the werewolf rape is cool but i don't really know why i should care for the victim.

Yes. This is true. This is an instance of when writing is writing. And an important one I think everyone should take to heart as we mount this effort.

And not just, "Why should I care for the victim?" but "how does it serve the story?" "to what end?"

Also, I see what you did here. You just want to make sure Earth-2 stays #1 in errant werewolf rape search landings.

Also, though i'm not overly confident in my writing, I find myself to be often too harsh. If I say, does it lag in the middle and a bunch of people honestly tell me "no" then it might be more likely that I'm being hard on myself.

I think any writer worth their salt has this problem. There's a fine line, and either extreme is horrible: Super confident in lots of your work, or hating on everything you produce. It's all about honing our instincts, which is what writers groups are best for. I think, anyway.

I'm up for it. I will say now that I might write a genre piece if the mood hits me but for the most part, I stay in the real world mostly.

If a story is set in the real world, but one character has a supernatural ability, does that count as genre?

That's called "genre-bending" ^_^

Or magical realism sometimes.

I'm up for it. I will say now that I might write a genre piece if the mood hits me but for the most part, I stay in the real world mostly.

If a story is set in the real world, but one character has a supernatural ability, does that count as genre?

That's called "genre-bending" ^_^

Or magical realism sometimes.

Nope. That's something else. It can be it, kind of, but not really.

Magical realism is one of those hard to grasp topics for me. What some people call fantasy, others call magical realism. It's kinda confusing. Genres can be interesting.

Yeah. A lot of people like to use "magical realism" as some kind of catchall. When it's not.

Read "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.