Grant Morrison Wonder Woman Run...

grahamvidger

He’s not ready to be announced yet. Mostly because he’s still got plenty of work at Marvel. But I understand that the good folk at Marvel know that another of their artists will be joining DC on an exclusive basis to work on the upcoming Grant Morrison’s still-yet-to-be-announced Wonder Woman run.

But this isn’t as sudden as it might otherwise seem. Both David Finch and the new signing have been talked about internally at Marvel for months. But, as I said the new artist is still booked up for some months to come. But Grant really really wants him.

As a result the Wonder Woman Morrison run has had to be delayed until he is free.

A clue? Oh go on then, how about – this is not the first time the artist will have worked with Grant Morrison…

Link

Everywhere, there have been many rumors and small debatable announcing of a Wonder Woman run by Grant Morrison, we could get it. Thoughts?

My candidates?

Phil Jiminez-most likely as he's familiar with the character and if this is Earth 1 then it makes sense to do a guy who can haul ass on pages and have a Perez style.

Bryan Hitch-how great would he be on WW?

Jae Lee-Not likely, but maybe the most interesting...

Ed McGuinness-I don't care for and don't want to see.

Yanick Paquette-would mean DC is going for a super sexy WW...wouldn't have a problem.

Pasqual Ferry-Also likely. Also would like.

I rather hope this is just rumor mongering. Simone's Wonder Woman is the best I've ever read the character. I loved Rucka's take but Simone is actually trying t make her important to the DCU, exploring her mythology, and just making it a fun read. That and I'm still troubled from the Newsarama interview where Grant Morrison talked about his thoughts on Wonder Woman.

NRAMA: Regarding the big legends of the DCU: Superman got his mini-event, Batman took on Darkseid, Flash tries to outrun death, Green Lantern overcomes granny . . . but Wonder Woman turns out to be Anti-Life Patient Zero and spends the bulk of the series as a disfigured thrall. Why does Wonder Woman not have a comparable moment in that context?

GM: I wondered about that myself. I love what Gail Simone (especially) and other writers have done to empower the Wonder Woman concept but I must admit I’ve always sensed something slightly bogus and troubling at its heart. When I dug into the roots of the character I found an uneasy melange of girl power, bondage and disturbed sexuality that has never been adequately dealt with or fully processed out to my mind. I’ve always felt there was something oddly artificial about Wonder Woman, something not like a woman at all.

Having said that, I became quite fascinated by these contradictions and problems and tried to resolve them for what turned into a different project entirely. Partly because I didn’t want to use any of that new material in Final Crisis, I relegated Wonder Woman to a role that best summed up my original negative feelings about the character. My apologies to her fans and I promise to be a little more constructive next time around.

I love Morrison but please stay away from Wonder Woman.

What, because WW is such a delicate character with a rich history that should never be tarnished? Right.

She's been done well twice. Let's see what he can do. It can't be worse than what's already been done.

Well, from what he said, he was talking about a major upheaval of the character's concept. I'd trust someone like Geoff Johns (or Gail Simone) to do that, but Morrison? Ehhhh....

I'm hoping it will be its own mini and not a run on the actual title. Phil Jimmenez is apparently a huge Wonder Woman fan, so my guess is that he'll be the one to jump ship. I don't have a problem with Morrison's plans, as the GA Wonder Woman stories were filled with bondage, and it would be interesting to see a 21st century take on that part of Wonder Woman's history, much like Morrison did for the 1950s stories in his Batman run.

• 3 weeks later...
One of my all-time favourite runs on a superhero comic was Grant Morrison and Richard Case on Doom Patrol. A quite astounding take on what had become a more traditional superhero comic, mixing in surreal and dada influences and creating something that obeyed all the tropes and patterns of a superhero comic but twisted all the surface details into unrecognizable forms. Nothing since, not Arkham Asylum, not New X-Men, not Marvel Boy, not Final Crisis, has been quite the sea change that Doom Patrol represented. Now it seems Grant Morrison is part and parcel of the DC Universe, his vision for Batman and other characters married with Geoff Johns’, twin engines for the DCU jumbo jet.

Well it seems there’s been a small parachute jump.

It seems that Wonder Woman run that Grant Morrison and the yet-unnamed-currently-Marvel exclusive artist are planning has just proved a bit much. A bit too outside the box. A bit too.. well. A bit too Grant Morrison. As a result, the team won’t be taking over the monthly title, and the project will exist in its own separate continuity.

And while, just as with Doom Patrol, I think in continuity mad series (such as X-Statix or even NextWave) can help shake up and refresh the tied-in continuity as a whole, it’s a lot harder right now to have such a series in the current market, especially such a high profile one. So at least we can be more sure that we’ll be getting unfiltered Morrison Wonder Woman here, not the diluted-by-crossover stuff.

Source

One of my all-time favourite runs on a superhero comic was Grant Morrison and Richard Case on Doom Patrol. A quite astounding take on what had become a more traditional superhero comic, mixing in surreal and dada influences and creating something that obeyed all the tropes and patterns of a superhero comic but twisted all the surface details into unrecognizable forms. Nothing since, not Arkham Asylum, not New X-Men, not Marvel Boy, not Final Crisis, has been quite the sea change that Doom Patrol represented. Now it seems Grant Morrison is part and parcel of the DC Universe, his vision for Batman and other characters married with Geoff Johns’, twin engines for the DCU jumbo jet.

Well it seems there’s been a small parachute jump.

It seems that Wonder Woman run that Grant Morrison and the yet-unnamed-currently-Marvel exclusive artist are planning has just proved a bit much. A bit too outside the box. A bit too.. well. A bit too Grant Morrison. As a result, the team won’t be taking over the monthly title, and the project will exist in its own separate continuity.

And while, just as with Doom Patrol, I think in continuity mad series (such as X-Statix or even NextWave) can help shake up and refresh the tied-in continuity as a whole, it’s a lot harder right now to have such a series in the current market, especially such a high profile one. So at least we can be more sure that we’ll be getting unfiltered Morrison Wonder Woman here, not the diluted-by-crossover stuff.

Source

I love Grant Morrison but I won't lie that I just did a little dance. I like what Gail has been doing and would rather keep her on the book then have Morrison. That said, I'll still be buying his book with the Marvel artist.

One, how much crack will I need to understand this?

Two, will there be lots and lots of bondage involved?

One, how much crack will I need to understand this?

Two, will there be lots and lots of bondage involved?

One, none if you read it.

Two, I think he got his bondage itch scratched in Final Crisis.

Is it just me or is Richard Case the artist? That might be weird but the article seemed to use him name a lot when, to be honest, once would have been just fin.

I can't remember the last book he did let alone if he's exclusive with Marvel right now.

I don't think he's the artist, but even though I've only read the first trade of Doom Patrol so far, I know that Morrison + Case = Brilliance.